HP to stop PC production

Business as usual?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

HP to stop PC production

Postby viking60 » 20 Aug 2011, 18:15

ImageHP has decided to quit the PC production. This is special because it is one of the biggest producers in the class.
HP today announced that its board of directors has authorized the evaluation of strategic alternatives for its Personal Systems Group (PSG), including the exploration of the separation of its PC business into a separate company through a spin-off or other transaction.

PSG has a proud history of innovation and technological leadership as well as a strong operating track record and industry-leading profitability. PSG is the leading manufacturer of personal computers in the world and had annual revenues of approximately $41 billion in fiscal year 2010. PSG enjoys leading global market positions in consumer and commercial PCs.

HP is implementing a plan to fundamentally transform the company. An important component of the plan is focusing its investments, resources and management attention to drive higher value solutions to enterprise, small and midsize business and public sector customers

So what does it mean? Well PC's will probably get more expensive. The others are loosing their biggest competitor now. Will Microsoft or Google take over the production line?
60 Million PC's per year is quite a lot so we cannot rule out that there will be some interest.
PC's will disappear you say? And get replaced with what? Well in the personal market I will buy it - but in a business?
And that makes HP's explanation cryptic - If you want to serve the businesses you will need PC's :confused
Or maybe they are just so tired of getting Software dictates from Microsoft - that they thought MS could take over the PC.department themselves?
In any case this is what HP wants. So far they have only put out a big FOR SALE sign. It might well be that no one will buy.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: HP to stop PC production

Postby R_Head » 22 Aug 2011, 13:21

PC are going away in a way :mrgreen:

People care more for Low Power / Portable Devices to do Cloud Computing.

What I will like to see is the way of Home Servers like a small scale Mainframe. That way all you need in your house is a small portal type device. A Tablet, Netbook, or even a Phone can access it. Another thing that will be awesome if you are good enough is to have your e-mail delivered there too. You are in control of your data or outsource it like Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, Hot Mail and such.

I am thinking on getting a commercial line, but now my ISP let me up load almost 3 MBS, so will see how well it works. As is right now, Netflix at my house is moving close to 4 MBS so, might work just as fast. If I can register the domain it would be even nicer, but as is right now, I have to use the IP Address of my Router with port forwarding.

Either way, the PC market is shrinking.

BTW, I have not bought a PC in ages and I made my last PC back in 2005/2006. Still up and running like champ (AMD64 3000+).

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 22 Aug 2011, 19:25

And I on the other hand have very little desire, for several reasons, to buy anything but one desktop PC for personal use. I refuse to rely on any device for things I can do manually. I refuse to buy a laptop, as I refuse to be tied to a computer everywhere I go. I want a life. Therefore, this is distressing news to me in a very real way. Nothing ticks me off more than to try to talk to someone while they show more interest in texting on their cell phone, or posting to everywhere on their laptop 24/7. There has to come a point in life where you put the damn things down, and show some respect for others. There also has to be a time when business days end at 5:00, and we are not readily available to everyone on the planet but the people we should be in our own homes.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 22 Aug 2011, 19:27

Dammit. It did it AGAIN. Boss... please? Thanks.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Business”