The five best Linux distros

You like a certain distro? Tell us why here

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Try to avoid "fanboyism" Spam is strictly forbidden. The general rules apply: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

The five best Linux distros

Postby viking60 » 30 Jun 2011, 17:41

ImageHer is an article from someone that states his criteria very well. I totally agree with them:
Before giving you my list of favorites though, if you don’t know my work, you should know where I’m coming from. First, I’m a big believe in What Works. I use Linux on my desktop not because I find its free and open-source software foundations morally superior to the proprietary competition from Apple and Microsoft. I use it because it works better for me. When it comes to technology, I’m a pragmatist, not an idealist.

That said, I do think open-source is ethically better than other methods of creating software, or anything else. But given a choice between an open-source program that doesn’t do its job and a proprietary program that does the same job superbly, I’m going to use the latter.

I am not so sure about his choices though, it looks like he is a Debian guy. He only found room for Suse from the RPM world.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: The five best Linux distros

Postby dedanna1029 » 01 Jul 2011, 08:48

I use Linux on my desktop not because I find its free and open-source software foundations morally superior to the proprietary competition from Apple and Microsoft. I use it because it works better for me.

Well, it was that way for me too until as of late. Even still though, out of the alternatives, it does work best for me.

I'm not really impressed with his choices at all though.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Distro talk”