cpu and a motherboard

Hardware tips and talk

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

rubioley

cpu and a motherboard

Postby rubioley » 14 Jun 2011, 08:16

How to fully install a cpu and a motherboard? I'm planning on building my first pc and I know how to do everything except when it comes to the cpu and the motherboard. I know how to put it on and take it off, etc. but the only thing that I'm not quite sure of is what happens after you put everything together?
Last edited by rubioley on 15 Jun 2011, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: cpu and a motherboard

Postby viking60 » 14 Jun 2011, 09:41

I am moving this to hardware. I am sure Our Gurus ( :S rolf or b1o!) will be able to help you.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 16 Jun 2011, 13:47

Ok I'll give it a go - our gurus are busy at the moment.
When you buy the parts there will be instructions on how to put them together. After you have put everything together you can start installing a drivers.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

jkerr82508
Guru-Berserk

Postby jkerr82508 » 16 Jun 2011, 16:30

Usually, the motherboard comes with a manual which explains the assembly process in some detail. If you didn't get a printed manual - check the manufacturer's web site for one. The procedure varies a bit from one MB to the other. Sometimes the manual available on the website (or on a CD that comes with the MB) will be more detailed than any printed manual that is provided.

(Don't forget to make sure that you have a thermal conductor pad or fluid between the heat-sink and the CPU.)

After getting the MB installed successfully - look for a BIOS upgrade. The manufacturer's web site should show if one is available and provide instructions on how to apply it to your system. Be very careful that you get the BIOS for the precise model of MB that you have.

After applying any BIOS upgrade, you should then examine the BIOS settings and make sure that they are appropriate for your intended use. The MB manual should explain how to access and change these.

If your MB came with a "driver disk", you will not usually need that unless you use Windows. You would normally use that disk on a running Windows system.

Jim

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 16 Jun 2011, 16:50

Thanks for coming to the rescue there Jkerr!

gnuuser
Berserk

Postby gnuuser » 23 Jun 2011, 01:49

when installing your cpu use only a thin film of the conducting paste or it will act as an insulator
if your cpu has pins carefully insert them in the socket (paying attention to the orientation ) also make sure the socket is unlocked before inserting
these instrustions will be in the manual for your motherboard
make sure the cpu cooling fan and heat sink are also installed correctly, and before closing the case make sure any wires are clear of the fan.
Ive been building them for over 35 years now
hope this helped :coffee_cup:
registered Linux user number 505431
Amateur radio call sign KC3TEC
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :
the aspiration of the indigent, the expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

Im so old even dirt was my apprentice!

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 23 Jun 2011, 04:29

Also, keep yourself static-free. Don't build that over carpets, where static is high, or on cloth. Use a good wooden table, not metal, on a good linoleum floor (or wooden floor) and keep static-free bags handy. What I do sometimes is spray on a bit, and rub my hands with some of this before I start messing with computer hardware.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Hardware”