FYI: Regression in VLC 1.1.7 -> 1.1.8 concerning pulseaudio

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

FYI: Regression in VLC 1.1.7 -> 1.1.8 concerning pulseaudio

Postby dedanna1029 » 17 Apr 2011, 01:55

There has been discussion Arch Linux forum concerning the regression with VLC+pulseaudio. I'm sure there must be with other distros, but I haven't checked it out.

The VLC + CPU overage + VLC crashing issue is something I am currently battling, and have posted to The VLC forum about, as it is an upstream issue. It seems that on every other release of VLC, we battle with this issue. It was running fine last version for me, and I'm about to downgrade back to it in Arch. I still have yet to test it out on Fedora 14 and Debian testing.

Anyone else got this issue as well?

Thanks.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: FYI: Regression in VLC 1.1.7 -> 1.1.8 concerning pulseau

Postby viking60 » 17 Apr 2011, 12:50

It seems to be a real regression as you say. That is not good. Looks like you need to use another player or remove pulseaudio.
That's a known bug and it's been there ever since VLC has had PulseAudio. It should be fixed in VLC 1.2. In the mean time, you need to either disable PulseAudio, or use it through ALSA

Since you are using it through ALSA it is obviously fubared until version 1.2 comes out.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: FYI: Regression in VLC 1.1.7 -> 1.1.8 concerning pulseau

Postby dedanna1029 » 17 Apr 2011, 17:27

Yup, which is why I questioned them saying that routing pulseaudio through alsa would work on that thread. Using Xine for now, all distros.

Grrrrr :f :mandriva:
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Audio/video”