Mandriva

Well it is a family: Mandriva Mageia ROSA Unity PCLOS. Brothers and sisters living together in perfect harmony - so it deserved som space of its own.

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Mandriva

Postby viking60 » 14 Mar 2010, 20:02

It' good its easy to use and it is easy to install. Should be the most obvious alternative when coming from Windows, So why is it not?
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

mark9117
Junior Viking

Re: Mandriva

Postby mark9117 » 14 Mar 2010, 22:08

viking60 wrote:It' good its easy to use and it is easy to install. Should be the most obvious alternative when coming from Windows, So why is it not?

If you check the Ubuntu launchpad bug system, you will discover "Bug 1" -- New PC systems are routinely and almost invariably sold with Windows pre-installed. Let's face it, most people don't know what they're buying. They pay for a machine that plugs into the wall and does all this "stuff." It may as well be magic.

As you probably know already, I'm a Mandriva user. I've tried others and could probably move to another distro if the need arises, but of all the distro's I've installed and tried, I just can't get enough Mandriva. It works very well on this desktop, my modest personal servers, and my Toshiba laptop. I am encouraging my son and daughter to snuggle up next to Mandriva. At some point, I may make the leap to Arch or some other rolling release at least on servers. For now, I'm a Mandriva/KDE/Fluxbox kind of guy.

Mark
"Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man alight and he will be warm for the rest of his life."

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 14 Mar 2010, 22:20

You'll notice I'm not commenting here. With good reason. Don't ask. lol.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 14 Mar 2010, 23:40

mark9117 wrote:If you check the Ubuntu launchpad bug system, you will discover "Bug 1" -- New PC systems are routinely and almost invariably sold with Windows pre-installed. Let's face it, most people don't know what they're buying. They pay for a machine that plugs into the wall and does all this "stuff." It may as well be magic.

As you probably know already, I'm a Mandriva user. I've tried others and could probably move to another distro if the need arises, but of all the distro's I've installed and tried, I just can't get enough Mandriva. It works very well on this desktop, my modest personal servers, and my Toshiba laptop. I am encouraging my son and daughter to snuggle up next to Mandriva. At some point, I may make the leap to Arch or some other rolling release at least on servers. For now, I'm a Mandriva/KDE/Fluxbox kind of guy.

Mark

Yes I always get back to Mandriva after my hopping. So I agree with you there. It is a good distro no doubt.
And I gave my wife an ACER ASPIRE ONE this tiny litle thing without a CD-rom. And replaced XP with Linux.
She's happy and she thought she was using windows. It does not matter - as long as the magic works.
So Mandriva needs to loose "Bug1" I think that is all it would take.
I am a Gnome guy though :roll:
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 15 Mar 2010, 02:03

Gnome here all the way, whatever I use.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

samwise_gamgee
Viking

Postby samwise_gamgee » 15 Mar 2010, 04:54

Mandriva was the first distro I stuck with long term and got me really involved in Linux. For about a year after 2008.1, I was still using that as a benchmark because it was simply that amazing! But, for various reasons I stopped using it and became a distro hopper. Heck, I still use that 2008.1 pp DVD you burned for me dedanna from time to time to fix my system if I goof up something with grub, or windows bootloader.

I haven't really tried 2010, how is it compared to 2008.1? I've been playing around with KDE distros, but haven't tried mdv again, perhaps I should?

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 15 Mar 2010, 05:10

Glad to have been of help!

2010,,, I worked too much on it with Cooker, then left. Cooker got to where it both bored me to tears, and was buggy, IMHO.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 15 Mar 2010, 10:32

2010 is pretty darn good. I am "cooking" on 2010.1 and that is going to be even better (probably), The 1 versions always seem to be better than the 0 versions. Mandriva is making good distros - you should give it a shot samwise.
And there is always this one: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28
Seems to be a bug in cooker, regarding the NTFS access though :(

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 25 Mar 2010, 17:14

I'll just post another one here since this distro works as opposed to fedora 13. Fedora is on it's 3rd page here now and everybody loves it, even if they cannot get it to work. And Mandriva is strugeling on its first - no fair! :)

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 25 Mar 2010, 20:10

Plenty fair. Fedora knows how to market.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 25 Mar 2010, 20:50

Ha ha yes you got me there. I have no intelligent defense for that one :P

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 27 Mar 2010, 00:51

But! It is working now; even network printing in Cups is now working in cooker! It cant be long before it is released now. But as we have seen here there seem to be repeated problems with the permissions: http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=126381

Return to “The Mandriva family”