Wireless cards...standards or what? Topic is solved

Need help with your Linux distro? All questions are good - not all answers are -but we try

Moderator: jkerr82508

dubigrasu
Gaming-Berserk

Wireless cards...standards or what?

Postby dubigrasu » 27 Nov 2010, 10:28

I use my laptop to connect to the wireless connection we have at work. No problems here, I see about 12 wireless networks available, but I need only one, ours.

Recently I bought a PCI wireless card for my PC that I plan to use instead of my laptop.
The problem is that suddenly I see only about 4 of those networks, and most annoying, not the one I need. The new wireless card is working though, I can even connect perfectly to one of those still available.
BTW, with the laptop I can still see the other wireless networks, including the one I need.

I don't think is about drivers, I tried the card on a windows PC with the drivers included on the CD, still no go.

I suppose you already figured out what is my question...are there any standards/compatibility features I consider before buying a wireless card?
What should I look for to make sure I see every network available?

Thanks
Last edited by dubigrasu on 28 Nov 2010, 09:37, edited 1 time in total.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Wireless cards...standards or what?

Postby viking60 » 27 Nov 2010, 13:32

Moved this to the help section since I cannot come up with anything intelligent about it. And I know that our gurus can!
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Joste
Berserk

Postby Joste » 27 Nov 2010, 18:21

I would try using an extension cable for the aerial or physically rotating the case and see if that makes a difference - if the aerial is at the back and the router you are trying to connect to is in front of the box then the box could be blocking the signal. A USB wireless adapter may be better especially if is one that comes with a stand on a USB cable.
Past experience demonstrates best method to tighten bolts is to use appropriate size spanners.

gnuuser
Berserk

Postby gnuuser » 27 Nov 2010, 23:31

I agree with Joste!
try an extension cable this may solve the problem for you
registered Linux user number 505431
Amateur radio call sign KC3TEC
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :
the aspiration of the indigent, the expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

Im so old even dirt was my apprentice!

dubigrasu
Gaming-Berserk

Postby dubigrasu » 27 Nov 2010, 23:44

Well, it has already an aerial connected through a 1 meter cable and the signal is very strong...the router is in the next room.

Anyway, I found some simplified info for dummies like me. :) http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wire ... andard.htm
Now that I know what to look for I see that my laptop is using a (Atheros) chipset with 802.11a/b/g standards, while the PC is using a (Ralink) chipset with 802.11g only standard.

From the info above I see that b and g standards are compatible with each other, so maybe my network at work is using the a standard?

I'll see tomorrow. :think:

Thanks

PS, sorry for using the wrong forum section.

dubigrasu
Gaming-Berserk

Re: Wireless cards...standards or what?  Topic is solved

Postby dubigrasu » 28 Nov 2010, 09:37

Ah, the problem is solved without me even lifting a finger. 8-)
It just happens that the old router was changed yesterday and now I can see the needed network.

I still don't know what was the cause (some networks still don't show) but who cares, I have what I need.

Cheers everyone :coffee_smile:

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Wireless cards...standards or what? Solved

Postby viking60 » 28 Nov 2010, 12:31

Yeah I have it like that a lot. I finally get everything working and I have no clue what I did :lol:
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Wireless cards...standards or what? Solved

Postby dedanna1029 » 28 Nov 2010, 16:44

I do the same LOL.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 25 Feb 2011, 16:12

dubigrasu wrote:I still don't know what was the cause (some networks still don't show) but who cares, I have what I need.

I had a similar problem and was with an 802.1 B Standard NIC. Linux or MS had the same screwed up issues.
The problem was worse with 802.1 A type routers. 802.1B is supposed to be compatible with A and B Routers.

I think when they came with 802.1 N and up it fixed the issue.

Return to “Help”