[solved - updates?] No sound in any player? (Arch)

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

[solved - updates?] No sound in any player? (Arch)

Postby dedanna1029 » 20 Oct 2010, 22:28

All of a sudden I have no sound in any player that I pull up! Nothing in Dragonplayer, nothing in VLC, doesn't matter what file type (none work!) - none of them are muted, speakers are on and turned up, pulseaudio shows volume for the applications... The only single thing that does work is Amarok1 and totem!!

The only thing that's coming from my speakers is system sounds, otherwise!

Any clue where this could be?

Thanks.
Last edited by dedanna1029 on 15 Dec 2010, 09:25, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: No sound in any player? (Arch)

Postby viking60 » 20 Oct 2010, 22:39

Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 20 Oct 2010, 22:47

Crap, so it appears this could have happened with the KDE upgrade the other night. :(

Can't see VLC as being specifically a KDE sound issue, but it's possible I guess (am working out of Gnome; dragonplayer has video, no audio, same with VLC. I've also seen others with an issue with VLC since this last update of it).

Most everything else at that link I've done, except for the very last post. I'll have a look in KDE's systemsettings and see if there's anything I can find in there that might be causing this.

Thanks!

Edit: Just to double-check on codecs (I think I have them all installed, but one never knows):

Code: Select all

# pacman -Sy codecs-all
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                     35.6K   62.1K/s 00:00:01 [######################] 100%
 extra                   472.5K  296.0K/s 00:00:02 [######################] 100%
 community               389.6K  260.9K/s 00:00:01 [######################] 100%
 archlinuxfr is up to date
----->error: 'codecs-all': could not find or read package

Edit2: And, to double-check on phonon-xine:

Code: Select all

# pacman -S phonon-xine
----->warning: phonon-xine-4.4.2-2 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Targets (1): phonon-xine-4.4.2-2 [0.09 MB]

Total Download Size:    0.00 MB
Total Installed Size:   0.38 MB

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] n

Yeah, time to check systemsettings I think.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 20 Oct 2010, 23:15

Yep, that's where the problem is, is with KDE. In systemsettings, I am set to the Xine backend, but when I go to Multimedia-->Phonon in systemsettings, and try to run a test on the sound card, nothing sounds. The problem is, with it being KDE, I don't know how to fix this - haven't run it in forever. Sounds work for totem and (confusing this one-->) Amarok1 from Gnome, but the others don't work. What's wild is before this last set of updates, I was having more issues with totem than anything. Now it works, but VLC, dragon player, and a couple others don't. I don't care much about Dragonplayer, but VLC I do - it was working where totem doesn't for me, and where mplayer still doesn't... sigh. Now it does nothing but video. :(

Crap, crap, crap. Nothing changes, btw, if I switch to the gstreamer backend - still no sound on "Test" in systemsettings.

Here's how it is in systemsettings (Audigy2 card):

Interesting. It works when I hit it up to show Advanced devices, and hit up "Esound" in the list, there's sound when I click "Test" on that...

*tests VLC with that setting - nope, still no sound in VLC. :(
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 21 Oct 2010, 00:05

hhmmm... I'm also beginning to wonder if this might have to do with the ffmpeg update that happened with the rest of the updates this last time 'round...

According to totem properties, both .avi and .mp4 files are using ffmpeg.
No gods, no masters.

Joste
Berserk

Postby Joste » 21 Oct 2010, 00:37

Have you tried using xine as the player? I happen to like it for no real reason.
Past experience demonstrates best method to tighten bolts is to use appropriate size spanners.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 21 Oct 2010, 00:46

Yes. It's working.

However, I do need VLC because it's the replacement for mplayer right now (which isn't working). Dang. :(
No gods, no masters.

Joste
Berserk

Postby Joste » 21 Oct 2010, 00:50

Yeah, vlc will play some stuff that xine won't.

Anything in tools->preferences->audio in vlc useful?
Past experience demonstrates best method to tighten bolts is to use appropriate size spanners.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 21 Oct 2010, 02:38

Unfortunately, I've tried it on just about every setting in there in the Audio section of it.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 15 Dec 2010, 09:18

I don't know what update did it, but I now have sound in KDE and Gnome overall, and in each player in Arch. VLC has been updated, phonon-xine has been updated, and KDE has been upgraded a few times over as well. It could have been any of these updates, as well as a Totem update, along with a couple of Gnome updates, so I can't say which one did it, but something certainly did - everything is working again. Thanks to the Source - I have VLC back again... :D

Thanks.

Edit: Meant to mention that pulseaudio's also been updated some 2-3 times since, at least.
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Audio/video”