This is a must-read.

News that do not fit in elswhere

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

This is a must-read.

Postby dedanna1029 » 12 Aug 2010, 14:40

Tracking the Trackers

Thinking on trying something like this myself, and sending a nuke up their computer's arses...
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: This is a must-read.

Postby viking60 » 12 Aug 2010, 16:40

Yes and it gets scary here:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... S=tracking
Most of us view personalization and privacy as desirable things, and we understand that enjoying more of one means giving up some of the other. To have goods, services and promotions tailored to our personal circumstances and desires, we need to divulge information about ourselves to corporations, governments or other outsiders.

This tradeoff has always been part of our lives as consumers and citizens. But now, thanks to the Net, we're losing our ability to understand and control those tradeoffs—to choose, consciously and with awareness of the consequences, what information about ourselves we disclose and what we don't. Incredibly detailed data about our lives are being harvested from online databases without our awareness, much less our approval.

Even though the Internet is a very social place, we tend to access it in seclusion. We often assume that we're anonymous as we go about our business online. As a result, we treat the Net not just as a shopping mall and a library but as a personal diary and, sometimes, a confessional. Through the sites we visit and the searches we make, we disclose details not only about our jobs, hobbies, families, politics and health, but also about our secrets, fantasies, even our peccadilloes.

But our sense of anonymity is largely an illusion. Pretty much everything we do online, down to individual keystrokes and clicks, is recorded, stored in cookies and corporate databases, and connected to our identities, either explicitly through our user names, credit-card numbers and the IP addresses assigned to our computers, or implicitly through our searching, surfing and purchasing histories.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 12 Aug 2010, 16:44

Yep, definitely.

Although, I have to admit, I'm one who doesn't care much, until it comes to certain things. Have become wreckless I guess. It's like I always say, if someone wants to come look at these bills on my computer, they're welcome to them, so long as they pay them for me.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 13 Aug 2010, 18:21

That is one reason that I do not do Social Networking, Blogs or any other stuff that requires me to connect with others and say what I think.

Some might call me antisocial but is that I like my privacy.

I funnel with who I want to be social and I do not let a site dictates how I relate to other people.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 13 Aug 2010, 18:25

Oh believe me, nothing dictates that to me. I'm still myself wherever I go. Repressing anyone's nature is not in my nature, in particular my own. I don't even tolerate that anywhere I go.

I think the Boss can attest to that. :mrgreen: - my own nature I think is what he missed after I was forced to leave the mdv forum. My twitter; very good bunch on there, because of how I talk to them, always with love. Same on Facebook. I speak out, not because I'm social (I'm actually very private IRL), but because I'm a fighter against injustices, and the gov't can blow it out their proverbial rear ends - I tell them, the pReSident, everyone straight up how screwed up they're being to all of us. I got no fear of social networking, because I have no desire to hide anything I say or do. I want everyone to hear.
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 13 Aug 2010, 21:15

I am a true believer that nothing is free, not even in nature.

These so called Social Networking is a place to study human behaviors, trends and God's know what else.

I refuse to be a guinea pig for others to profit or amusement. :f

But if that floats your boat (in reference the people that does it), sure why not?
The Internet is free... in a way ;)
Last edited by R_Head on 14 Aug 2010, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 13 Aug 2010, 21:51

Eh, the social networking people can do what they want. I use mine for purposes of my own. I really don't care what they do, and they can do it far as I'm concerned. Later I'll make them blow it out theirs, too. :mrgreen: LOL I just care about doing what I gotta do for humanity on the whole.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 13 Aug 2010, 22:10

R_Head wrote:I am a true believer that nothing is free, not even in nature.

These so called Social Networking is a place to study human behaviors, trends and God's know what else.

I refuse to be a guinea pig for others to profit of amusement. :f

+1 I sure want to actively accept any study of that kind. But Big Brother has no interest in asking - that would reveal how bad this really is!
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 14 Aug 2010, 05:46

See, that's what's so rich about what I do - I use their own tools against them. Big Brother's arse is exactly the one who's arse I'm shoving it all up. :)

Yep, they can listen in all they want! LOL
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 14 Aug 2010, 12:49

The correct fight is to give them nothing at all.

No data is useless data. :A

Return to “General News”