George Carlin's final words to the world

Everything about it! Heard the news? What! is Ubuntu bankrupt? Has Mandriva started marketing? Have you taken a sky diving course?
We just need to know! No flaming! And we hate spammers -Get it?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: George Carlin's final words to the world

Postby dedanna1029 » 02 Aug 2010, 23:04

Oh, in this particular thing, I take him quite seriously. I've thought the same for years.

@Viking, anyone who believes that anyone has any opportunity in the U.S. for anything, is very ill-informed, and a dreamer. It's far, far, from reality here.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 03 Aug 2010, 00:10

And there is that of course :lol:
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 03 Aug 2010, 12:38

George Carlin stile is about serious things with a comedy twist. Great comedian. If you pay attention and "read between lines" he always sends a message.

Good link K :)

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 03 Aug 2010, 12:42

dedanna1029 wrote:@Viking, anyone who believes that anyone has any opportunity in the U.S. for anything, is very ill-informed, and a dreamer. It's far, far, from reality here.

I say no necessary true. The key to achieve success is be able to place yourself in corporate world clans. The most important part is, how you make yourself valuable to be sucked in on that circle. Is like playing that TV Show Survival.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 03 Aug 2010, 14:54

It is survival. But right now even in the corporate world there isn't jack crap for jobs. If there were, I'd be working a techsup at the very least right now.

Even reading between the lines in this video, I don't see anything funny or comedic at all. I see a man who has the exact same frustrations as the rest of us, but who sees the forest for the trees on it. Like I said, "He died with the truth on his lips. What a way to go." It's the way I want to go, btw. If there is a Heaven (and I don't honestly think there is), he is there, and this is what got him there.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 03 Aug 2010, 15:40

Comedy is how you see it. I always see some funny on any situation. Is just what makes you laugh. Must confess that I have a sarcastic, very dark humor. I can be really serious and laugh at some. Might be perceived as been insensitive, but in reality I am not.

Do you remember the movie with Eddie Murphy called "Distinguished Gentleman" ?
When he BS his way in the world of politics?
There is one part that nails it, he asked what the Power House was (referring to Electric Power Corporations and was the strongest lobbyist in the movie) and how to be part of them?

That is how you can climb the American Dream. "Is not any more based on Hard Work".

We have a saying in the Military and is, "Is who you know, not what you know", the other saying is more blunt :lol:

The corporate world is the same thing.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 03 Aug 2010, 16:34

Having a dream is good - isn't it? By definition you might question the realism of it - that's why they are called dreams. It doesn't make them bad.
Most successful corporations start out as a dream.
And people are not bad because they are successful or rich. Would you be bad if you won 10 Million $ in the lottery? Just because you have the money?

Telling everybody the dream cannot be realized, is a sign of frustration and also giving up!
The pessimist does mostly become right, but the optimist has it better in the meantime.
I do not see much humor in this speech either, even if I have seen videos where he is showing great humor.
I think Carlin promotes hopelessness to some extent here. And what good would it do if he was right?
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 03 Aug 2010, 17:47

I think he is right. Been through way too much shit in life not to, and am currently seeing exactly what he's talking about, directly affecting my own life.

I base on realistic experience, not hope or anything else delusional.

I'm probably, because of the assholes he's talking about there, going through the worst time of my life. He's right. I can tell you, he's right.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 03 Aug 2010, 17:57

And does that in any way help? Is all I am saying.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 03 Aug 2010, 17:59

If nothing else, it lets us know what we're in for. That kind of stuff, yes, I appreciate.
No gods, no masters.

Return to “The Lounge”