What are you eating right now?

Everything about it! Heard the news? What! is Ubuntu bankrupt? Has Mandriva started marketing? Have you taken a sky diving course?
We just need to know! No flaming! And we hate spammers -Get it?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

R_Head
Berserk

Re: What are you eating right now?

Postby R_Head » 21 Mar 2011, 19:16

Viking, do you eat Surströmming?

The first time I saw that was on the Graham Norton Show.

I am glad they open the can in the UK, far away from here.. :lol:

Saw Lutefisk in Minnesota, I must say that I had to decline on the invite :think:

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 21 Mar 2011, 22:02

Yeah Surstrømming is Swedish poison. Lutefisk is a horrible Norwegian tradition. I don't eat it. Rakfisk is good thoug.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 14 Apr 2012, 17:17

Come on, people, let's see what you're munching on! Recipes, what-have-you. You never know the favor you could be doing for others, in particular for those who don't have much to eat these days, or those who are just low for the week or month.

Speaking of those who don't have much or are low, there is a site where you can enter the food you do have, and it will pop out a recipe for you. See Supercook here.

As for me, yeah, the way life has been is not great for food or home, but there is one thing I always shoot for. A lot of us don't bother with breakfast, but on Saturday mornings, I have to bother. This Saturday morning, I'm having Swiss Muesli cereal, which turned out not to be a very great Muesli, it's just one I tried. Since it's not so great, I added a bit of Kashi Heart-to-Heart Blueberry/Oat cereal, sliced up some strawberries and a banana on top with a very small dollop of honey, and since I can't stand milk, I used Almond Breeze Vanilla Unsweetened milk.

A healthy breakfast, and yummy, since I'm a fruit and nut freak. :A :D

Man, I hate to put these in spoilers, but...

Image Image
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 11 Sep 2019, 01:18

OMG guys, you have got to try this. Who doesn't love macaroni and cheese? Mine was plain Jane, until I saw the packaged cheddar and havarti kind at the store, and altered my own recipe.

1/2 lb extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 lb havarti cheese, shredded
Mix cheeses and set aside

Boil 2 dry cups of macaroni noodles, until almost al dente, drain.
While macaroni noodles are boiling, warm 1-1/2 to 2 cups milk with 1 tbspn butter, just until butter is melted, add 1/4 tsp pepper, stir.

Layer macaroni noodles and cheese several times in a large loaf pan, pour milk mixture over it. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes to an hour, when top is golden brown.
Let rest 15 minutes, enjoy!
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 11 Sep 2019, 16:01

Sorry K, count me as one of the people that does NOT love Mac n Cheese. :lol:

However... just brought a 120 days Aged Grass Fed Rib Eye stake, Mash Potatoes and some Black Beans for lunch ;-)

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 13 Sep 2019, 03:39

Here is some cheap and easy to cook.

Buy a Multi-Pot, got one with a Stainless Steel pot for about $100 in Amazon. What can you do with it... From Baking a Cake, Yogurt, Stews, Rice and a more other stuff.

Here is a quick one...

2 Cups of Rice.

A squirt of olive oil & mix the rice with it, use a wooden spoon.

Some Kosher Salt, just grab a pinch, Sea Salt will do too.

Add some raw diced chicken or shred a rotissery one form Wal Mart and dump it. Even KFC chicken will do, the condiment is on the chicken, so you could skip on seasoning. 1 meal from KFC chicken can feed 2 or 3 adults. No chicken? Try Chorizo, the real ones from Spain. Also, Try Chicken and a can of Sea Food for some "Paella" type dish.

Add about 2 cups of water

Now, if you want some Orange colour, find some called "Sazón Goya". Use 1 packet and make sure is desolved in the water.

Turn it on and about 20 or so mins, a nice meal for 2 or even 3 adults.

Total Cost? Not much if you do the math, probably under $10.00

Is healthy, fresh ingridients and very tasty.

Rice has a nice ability to absorb the flavors from other things. So is a great filler to make a decent meal when on a budget. Use Brown Rice for a much healthy meal, the rice is a bit tougher than white rice but has way better health benefits.

Try also Rice, Sazón and a can of Kettle Corn for a nice sweet taste. A Mixed Veggie can will make a Garden Rice. Make some beans on the side with tomato sauce, dash of salt, a drizzle of Olive Oil and have a nice ballanced meal with Proteins, Fiber and Carbs without meat.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 12 Oct 2019, 18:36

I use rice quite a bit, especially in Asian cooking, or with fish.

I love black beans, btw. I do not like pinto beans. I use black beans in tacos, enchiritos, burritos, etc.

I don't eat beef, only poultry and fish once in a while. Am mostly but not solely, a vegetarian. Cheese I don't mind. I've loved it all my life. I do my own cooking, from scratch. If I were to make the recipe you have above, I would buy a chicken, roast it, and then do the rest with it, or use leftover chicken. I do have chicken and rice here and there, usually with some kind of veggies, maybe green beans, spinach, what-have-you.

I can't afford that pot, although I wish I could. Am working a very low-paying job right now. I have managed a pretty decent steel pan set though, and love it. :)
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 14 Oct 2019, 23:08

Perhaps you can find one in a Pawn Shop at a bargain price. Even a Rice Cooker can do the trick. However, you can just use a pot like the old days, but you need to watch it.

As far meat, I am a carnivore... found a nice butcher in town that has grass fed beef. Buy most of it in bulk and is vacuum sealed. I use a fridge to let it Wet Age a bit longer.

People do not realize that Tough Cheap Meat is tough because is not aged properly. If you have get a chance to get a vacuum pump and bags. You can bag the meat and let it age at about 0C / 36F for the Lactic Acid to do its magic. The meat is more tasty and tender after 90 days. That is why Cheap Meat is so tough, cost too much to sit idle in a fridge. Learned that trick with one of the Cruise Chefs at their Stake House.

Anyway, have been in a pinch many times. Learned many tricks to stretch my budget.
Last edited by R_Head on 17 Dec 2019, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 16 Dec 2019, 20:06

I have been looking for a sealer. A crock pot, too.
Somehow, I'll have to get to the Meals On Wheels thrift shop here. I like their stuff, and it's cheap.
No gods, no masters.

Return to “The Lounge”