Mageia 7 released

Well it is a family: Mandriva Mageia ROSA Unity PCLOS. Brothers and sisters living together in perfect harmony - so it deserved som space of its own.

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

jkerr82508
Guru-Berserk

Mageia 7 released

Postby jkerr82508 » 01 Jul 2019, 12:18

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Mageia 7 released

Postby viking60 » 01 Aug 2019, 03:53

Thanks! Will test and report back ....after the Tennis season :-D
EDIT:
Well I couldn't wait so I downloaded Mageia 7.1 with The XFCE DE.

It is 2.3 GB which is a fair size for a distribution.

After firing it up I got the usual questions about language and location and I chose nb. This has given me a lot of problems before but this time it all worked well so I simply had to click my way through the automatically suggested keyboard and location. :s

It took a while before the Xfce desktop turned up but it was all in the correct locale and I found the button to "install to HD".

The Mageia popup help window may take the attention a bit away from it and I am not sure how useful it is on the Live CD. To much information can be wrong too...

But so far Mageia is true to its user friendly tradition where you simply click to get things done.

I chose to use the entire disk and checked the repos without having to change anything.

The installation starts with asking me for a password The grub 2 installer is suggested so I continue clicking and do not have to know what I am doing or even know what Grub2 is...so far so good.

That was it ...Mageia is telling me to reboot and remove the Live media..So I will do just that.... :coffee_cup:
After reboot I got a black terminal window where I was asked to enter my username. Since I had not entered my user during installation I assumed that this would create my user....but I got an error message.

Here Mageia does leave its user friendly image ..a bit.. but it does not take a genius to enter the root user and provide the password entered during installation.

That brings me in to the freshly installed Mageia and I am asked to enter the root password (did I not just enter that?) so I did.

Now I am asked to enter my normal user and provide a password. That is all intuitive and very easy.

So now I can log in to Mageia :-D

Here I get a popup where Mageia suggests to change my Norwegian folder names to the english ones which I do not want to do after having installed the Norwegian locale so I chose to keep the old names.

In fact it would be easy here to enter the update to new names button and that would be a bad thing. and that "helpful" Mageia popup screen popped and covered my locale "update" so I had to close it to set things right.

But finally I am finished and have a Mageia Xfce install. The whisker menu is in English (I have the Norwegian translation so I know it has existed for years) and the icons on the Desktop are in English but the folder names are Norwegian.

That was fairly easy.
So time to start using it. I want to check out the dnf update so I fire up a terminal and get the old all to familiar error that has haunted Mageia for years:

Code: Select all

bash: warning: setlocale: LC_CTYPE: cannot change locale (nb_NO.UTF-8): No such file or directory
bash: warning: setlocale: LC_COLLATE: cannot change locale (nb_NO.UTF-8): No such file or directory
bash: warning: setlocale: LC_MESSAGES: cannot change locale (nb_NO.UTF-8): No such file or directory
bash: warning: setlocale: LC_NUMERIC: cannot change locale (nb_NO.UTF-8): No such file or directory
bash: warning: setlocale: LC_TIME: cannot change locale (nb_NO.UTF-8): No such file or directory
[root@localhost thomas]#

My terminal is filled with this crap and they simply cannot get this right. I have filed Bug reports and gotten a lot of suggestion to no avail :wall:

Still the terminal will work so lets try that update then

dnf update

That updated my system relatively fast and worked just fine.

Time to try to fix that terminal locale problem then I will try:

export LANG=nb_NO.UTF-8

but I am sure I have tried this before so I am not to optimistic.

Sit tight for the dramatic conclusion.......
:drummer
No luck
:A
locale
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
LANG=nb_NO.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="nb_NO.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="nb_NO.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="nb_NO.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="nb_NO.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="nb_NO.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="nb_NO.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="nb_NO.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="nb_NO.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="nb_NO.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="nb_NO.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="nb_NO.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="nb_NO.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

It is the same old story so Mageia is not for Norwegians that use the terminal then.
In fact Mageia is mostly about the control center and getting things done without a terminal and that part seems fine so far..

I polishe the DE a bit because I like the panel with the menu to be at the bottom so I switched places for the panels from the vanilla install.
That wen fine so I fired up the MCC which is the famous Mageia/Mandriva/Mandrake control center and that reminds me why I started with Mandriva many years ago.

It has all the stuff you want and need right there; in the most user friendly fashion.
I found the locales-no in MCC and it was not installed so I installed it. ...... and....

That took care of my cluttered terminal and the Norwegian locale is there :jackpot

I rebooted to get my desktop in Norwegian ...and it was (including the Whisker menu)! Finally. What I did not get was that this terminal window still popped up during boot and asked me to enter the root user...only after that I came to the login screen.
I tried to set my user to automatic login in MCC but I was still prompted on reboot :wall:

Mageia will work but it has bugs. If you like it you will continue to use it... but if you are new?
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 01 Aug 2019, 20:19

I did an upgrade from 6 to 7 on a laptop. I use KDE on US English, so far so good. First that I tried was with Mandrake 7.0 when Gäel Duval was around. From there, a big time user of Mandrake Pro Suite and eve bought the Boxed version of Server 9.1 the rest is history, very seldom I use any other Linux Distro.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 02 Aug 2019, 05:13

Yes MandrakeMandriva was really the Distro back in the day. The first distros I heard about were RedHat and Mandrake.
If you were new to Linux you could forget about Redhat leaving only Mandrake. That is how important this distro was +1

Mageia is close with this one but it is clear that the capacity to maintain is stretched

In English it will probably be fine but that Norwegian bug has been there in similar form for years. The Live CD is fine and the automatic and really easy Norwegian setup works just fine and then it forgets to install locales-no (Norwegian) leaving me with an annoying vanilla Mageia install.

This bug was present in the Mageia 6 release too.. :arrogant:

I dunno how other languages are affected but they are probably fine in French and German.

But it is never a good idea to ignore the vikings! :berserk2 :berserkf

Using MCC to change the sttartup (grub2) does not wotk either. I tried to set it to Grub2 with text and that is simply ignored so the fancy looking easy options in MCC do not all work.
That is sad because that would make Mageia catapult back to the top.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “The Mandriva family”