that time of year again

Everything about it! Heard the news? What! is Ubuntu bankrupt? Has Mandriva started marketing? Have you taken a sky diving course?
We just need to know! No flaming! And we hate spammers -Get it?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

gnuuser
Berserk

that time of year again

Postby gnuuser » 14 Dec 2018, 00:10

its that time of year again!
wifey has me canning goods up
Monday it was pickled beets, Tuesday it was pumpkin, yesterday it was venison sausage, today it was low sugar blueberry jam!
and tomorrow it will be applesauce!

but I don't mind it one bit( I actually love canning goods for winter) :lol:
next year besides our garden we plan to hit the farmers markets hard for green beans ,peas, and corn
neighbors do complain a bit (our kitchen smells wonderful) :gimme
registered Linux user number 505431
Amateur radio call sign KC3TEC
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :
the aspiration of the indigent, the expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

Im so old even dirt was my apprentice!

R_Head
Berserk

Re: that time of year again

Postby R_Head » 15 Dec 2018, 23:22

Nothing wrong with that.... I like food that is natural unprocessed. Just made a loaf of bread with Un-Bleached, Un-Processed wheat flour. Has a nice texture and does not feel like a sponge store white bread. Sliced it and one bag is in the freezer to prevent mold from growing.

Might start to pick up the Canning and Preserving skill. We are going to need it for later.

Forgot to mentioned... got 6 Gallons of Hard Cider conditioning. Is wine quality on the Alcohol level, might take few litres and make Vinegar with it.

gnuuser
Berserk

Postby gnuuser » 16 Dec 2018, 05:48

canning and preserving foods is an art that must be kept alive, Too many people are dependant on getting things from the grocery But you just don't know exactly what is in the cans.
I teach canning to the younger generation and Im thinking of teaching a few classes to the boy/ girl scouts as well.
its fun to see the proud look they have when they take a jar of food home they prepared and preserved and the proud looks of the parents
its cute to see the surprise on their face when the lids ping
registered Linux user number 505431
Amateur radio call sign KC3TEC
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :
the aspiration of the indigent, the expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

Im so old even dirt was my apprentice!

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 16 Dec 2018, 17:23

Agreed, too much crap in store bought cans. Is incredible de amount of fillers, GMO, nitrates, etc... they put on them. No wonder the poeple are getting sicker each day. Part of keeping yourself off the Doc office is nutrition, and is a huge part. Knock on wood, I am a hair over a half a century old and do not take a single pill at all.

Is hard to find the good stuff, however, a jewish guy that I used to work with, told me about Kosher foods. Is interesting how the Jews have a much higher quality standard. Will be surprised the stuff that is not Kosher. So far, have been using their products and they are pretty darn good. Try to find Kosher Milk, the ones that have the Kosher symbols are very few and they do not use Hormones.

People think Cereals are helathy, they are the worse. Is added tons of processed sugars, GMO grains and Celulose... and on top of that, add milk with production induced hormone milk... nothing but poison !

Return to “The Lounge”