Do not speak about private things - at home!

Everything about it! Heard the news? What! is Ubuntu bankrupt? Has Mandriva started marketing? Have you taken a sky diving course?
We just need to know! No flaming! And we hate spammers -Get it?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Do not speak about private things - at home!

Postby viking60 » 06 Oct 2017, 11:17

Continuing the crusade for privacy and Human rights though well aware that 99% won't listen or care: :wall:
The development is rapidly erasing the small private spots that are left as the "Internet of things" grows.

One of those "Things" is the Samsung smart TV - or any smart TV.

I have chosen Samsung because they are honest in their Privacy Policy

Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party through your use of Voice Recognition

If that third party "installed" a person in your living room or in your bed room; would you accept it?

We are way past George Orwell's 1984 so where is the outcry? Where is the "I am mad as hell and wont take it anymore"?

...don't have the time cause it is national Donuts day?
...to much work?
...going on holiday?
...simply to busy?

Yes life happens and has a tendency to disrupt any noble principle which you will of course address if it becomes critical.....

and by that time it will be to late!

Or maybe you simply disagree because you like the technology and that smart TV's and light bulbs and refrigerators makes your home intelligent and manageable by your smartphone.

It is fun and it saves money in the shape of energy saving and better planing - I think so cause I am a tech freak too....

I can tell my smartphone that I want to go on a diet so it wont open the refrigerator after 6 PM; that is good for me and I really should not be eating after that time. That is a fact that I do accept.

I should be jogging more and get healthy which my smartphone or "smart clock" can monitor and make more effective by monitoring my vital functions.

I can say "start playing Pink Floyd" to my loudspeaker and it will miraculously happen :groovy

I can install an alarm system and control my locks ...online..

I can unlock my car with my smartphone or my smart key.....

It is all nice cool and interesting...

Until the government decides to close your refrigerator at 6 PM - because it is good for you and they know you have accepted it already.
It will improve national health and save billions so who could be against it?

Until the government decides that sleep is important and shuts of your TV and smart Light bulb at 22 PM - because it is good for you.

Until Google or Apple or Microsoft bombards you with targeted information - oh wait that is already happening...
Until Google Apple and MS decide to share everything with the government - oh wait that is already happening...

Until the government decides to fight domestic crime....which is good for everybody...

...at which point you feel ready to fight terrorism because you feel terrorized.

The government will agree with you and explain that they will do more of what they are already doing to accommodate you...

..at which point you say "Play Pink Floyd's Mother" to your loud speaker...

"Mother should I trust the government" :groovy
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Do not speak about private things - at home!

Postby R_Head » 06 Oct 2017, 16:22

Is the Internet of things. I have a Samsung TV with a camera and voice controlled. When I bought the TV, I plugged for power but is not connected to the network. That will render useless any spying mechanisms. All my streaming are done via a PC and does not have any Cameras or Mic. Also, I do not have Apple or Amazon or MS to have any Siri, Alexa, Cortana listening to any of what I say. The phone stays in a room away from any conversations.

The Tech Hornies/Gadget Freaks are the ones that need to worry.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 09 Oct 2017, 17:04

Yup temptation is the Devils strategy. :twisted:
It's hard to stay away from them fancy gadgets :-D
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 17 Oct 2018, 02:51

Smart TVs.... I should say Networked TVs. There is no need to connect the device. I use it more as a monitor. Now days, all TVs comes with a network card to stream Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and the likes and for updates. Too much crap when I have some that does it, so, HDMI connection and stream with some else. Another thing, Nest, why would you want all your devices, house and all connected to the cloud? I decide what I want connected, to me, what I care that my Refrigerator, Washing Machine, Dryer, etc to be connected? Manual adjustments is as good and any.

What I have been noticing is the proliferation of Microphones for voice commands.

gnuuser
Berserk

Postby gnuuser » 21 Oct 2018, 17:49

my smart tv is not networked and my smartphone is usually in my briefcase where its muffled.
If i had a smart fridge and someone locked it i have a large crowbar or i would take the hinges off and remove the lock.
I would not even have a smart phone but it was require by work
registered Linux user number 505431
Amateur radio call sign KC3TEC
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :
the aspiration of the indigent, the expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

Im so old even dirt was my apprentice!

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 16 Jul 2019, 00:35

I have a Sanyo Roku TV, and see no way the thing can hear me to collect anything I say. It has no mic, no recording app, no anything, nothing that is voice activated, it just has the apps for things I watch.
I am against things like Alexa, as they do listen to your voice, and can transmit it to places.
Is there something I should look for on my smart TV? If there is, then I'd like to know, to see if I can disable it.
Thanks.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

gnuuser
Berserk

Postby gnuuser » 16 Jul 2019, 02:53

Some remotes are voice search capable but usually you have to press a button to activate the function. But it also depends on the manufacturer's additions
Voice assistant devices such as Alexa link wireless and or bluetooth to other smart devices.
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :
the aspiration of the indigent, the expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 16 Jul 2019, 23:45

OK, this tv isn't voice capable then. Good.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

gnuuser
Berserk

Postby gnuuser » 12 Jul 2022, 14:32

Although i must admit often times an alexa can be very amusing.
The other day my son was building a playhouse for his daughter and managed to smack his thumb with the hammer.
Of course a string of cursing immediatly followed.
( Alexa responded " now that wasn't very nice" )
:shock: :lolup :lolup :lolup
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :

Return to “The Lounge”