Parrot - the forensic distro

You like a certain distro? Tell us why here

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Try to avoid "fanboyism" Spam is strictly forbidden. The general rules apply: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

Parrot - the forensic distro

Postby viking60 » 23 Feb 2017, 18:54

If you need to test your system and the security of it you traditionally would use something like Kali or maybe Knopix or Puppet installed on an USB.

Kali has been the no one hacking tool so far but not anymore. Parrot is a new an impressive kid on the block and I have decided to give it a spin:
:A

It has everything that Kali has and then some..
Parrot is Debian based - like Kali - but looks and feels better and it even has a car hacking tool.
The distro is a cloud friendly operating system designed for Pentesting, Digial Forensic, Reverse engineering, Network and System Hacking, Cloud pentesting, privacy/anonymity and cryptography.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

gnuuser
Berserk

Re: Parrot - the forensic distro

Postby gnuuser » 24 Feb 2017, 01:24

have you checked out cyborg hawk?
i have a copy and its very impressive!
http://cyborg.ztrela.com/
registered Linux user number 505431
Amateur radio call sign KC3TEC
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :
the aspiration of the indigent, the expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

Im so old even dirt was my apprentice!

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 24 Feb 2017, 11:31

No but now i will of course - once I have checked out this one.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 01 Mar 2017, 11:00

Ok So I installed parrot in a VM (Virtualbox) - that went fine but I needed the guest additions to make it usable.
So I installed dkms and virtualbox-guest-dkms

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-dkms

Rebooted and voila! The resolution was adjustable and the copying between the virtual window and my main desktop went just fine.

Parrot comes without inxi (which is not good :berserk2 ) so I had to install it.

This did not work and I was recommended to do an apt-get update so I did a:

sudo apt-get update
and then

sudo apt-get install inxi
worked just fine.

Since I don't like apt-get I tried to install pacapt from the repos but that did not work right out of the box....
So I removed it again:

sudo apt-get remove pacapt

and followed my own instructions here:
:A
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4043&p=22856
Now that worked like a charm! :jackpot

So now I can use Pacman to explore this thing further....

Parrot is Debian based and it is rolling so updates will come forever - that is good since I do not want to install a new version every 6 months.
It is equally clear that the lousy Norwegian translation is just as bad as in Debian - which is the worst it the Linux world.

Some Danish and Swedish mixed up with Norwegian makes the terminal session annoying but that is all - just annoying.
It all works even if the language is a disaster.

That might be a local problem - other locales may be just fine :confused

Return to “Distro talk”