Microsoft joins the Linux foundation!!

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Microsoft joins the Linux foundation!!

Postby viking60 » 17 Nov 2016, 11:41

Microsoft has joined the Linux foundation as a premium paying member!

As a follow up of the newly declared love for Linux they take the next step. Given Microsoft's history with EEE there is every reason to be sceptical.

If this is a part of an EEE strategy this makes perfect sense; bombard Linux with proprietary contributions and then refuse everybody but Microsoft to use them.

But since Microsoft loves open source these days that cannot be the case. As a mean of controlling Linux it also makes perfect sense.

Microsoft wants Linux to run on and under a Microsoft platform on Microsoft servers in Microsoft clouds as guest machines under Windows.

The day we run Windows in a jailed environment under Linux we will probably see an abrupt end to the goodwill. Nevertheless that would be the sensible solution since all big servers in the world are powered by Linux (I run Windows under Linux - it works great).

So getting some control over the rascal Linux has been a MS goal for years. They have claimed to own part of the Linux kernel and they have threatened everybody who uses Linux with legal unpleasant steps unless they were using the paying distro; Suse.

Interesting question: Is Suse/Novell still paying Microsoft fees for owning part of the Kernel?

(Yes the deal is about not sueing each other but is internally referred to as Licence fee at Microsoft. )

Critics have put it like this:
At the core of Schestowitz's complaint is his belief that a dominant provider of proprietary software is trying to worm its way into the open source world, with designs to hijack open source competition

And if Microsoft really wants to endorse Linux with no streetsmart bully strategy? :B

Hopefully they will support in getting all Uefi booting machines that have problems installing Linux on the account of Microsoft security Certification to make it easy to install Linux on them - all types of Linux.

That would be a good thing.

It is also true that we live in a world of where computer systems need to communicate cross platform and Microsoft knows this. Since Linux is the dominant system on every computer and "thing" except the PC; Microsoft needs to be able to communicate with it and vice versa.

More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Microsoft joins the Linux foundation!!

Postby R_Head » 17 Nov 2016, 12:43

I hope they know what they are doing...

Phase 1; Embrace has begun..... :T

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 17 Nov 2016, 12:50

Could even be phase 2.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 18 Nov 2016, 14:23

MS is a Scorpion and we know how the story goes...

I trully hope that I am wrong.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 19 Nov 2016, 11:30

I hope you are too, but Microsoft has to go open source because nobody can trust closed source anymore after Snowden's revelations.
Whatever can be used for spying will be used for it and with Microsoft in the center of it - it has been done and it cannot be undone so the trust is gone.

Microsoft's good will isn't even the point. They have to jump when their government says so and they have said "jump" on several occasions demanding backdoors etc.
Hardware has been tampered with on US agency orders including Dell servers and Cisco switches - so it is good business to be pro open source these days.

Microsoft may be all for open source now but that does not say that they will be accepting the Linux competition - they will fight it as before.

That is what businesses do with competitors and that is a good thing as long as it is a fair fight where everything is about being better than the competition.
The "community" does not always get that part and can be naive about, it so it may be time to smell the roses..and just be better.
That is not always easy with your main competitor as your biggest sugar daddy - sitting at the same table :think: The keyword must be mutual benefit.

When everything is about blocking the competition to obtain monopoly then it is unhealthy; especially for us - the market.

I know I am using Linux because it is better than Windows. If Windows should become better than Linux I would use it again - but they are very far away from it in my book.

Leaving me the choice is fine - taking the choice away is bad.... and Microsoft have done everything to block that choice so far.

It is a bit like Linus Torvalds said:

Microsoft is fine...they just make crappy OS's

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 19 Nov 2016, 17:36

I think is a strategy of MS to embed part of their code in the Linux Kernel and steal it under their feet. Do you remember the SCO case several years ago? The SCO CEO McBride, with MS finacial backing, using a 3rd party source, sue the Linux Community, IBM, Auto Zone and few others. Their beef was about using UNIX code that came from the Santa Cruz Operation (SCO) original source code. They want everybody that use Lunix of any flavor to pay a license fee.

That is why I am leery of MS even trying to be friends with the Linux Community.

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 20 Nov 2016, 16:20

humm, the best way.. shoot they are with his own bullets..
Reactos ;) it is open source, it is WinNT, it is a same building in his own front yard (WinXP for the start)
and if they shoot, then shoot they are also for an WinNT/Reactos system..
Loaded that.. -HACK THE PLANET- ;) and let them shoot in they are own leg on long shoot.

Because we have the sourcecode and it is under GPL it is possible for the community
to create an Linux Subsystem who be smooth integrated because the kernelcode it is known.. fully..

and this is the chance for the whole community , because it is so very fast coming up the linux..
Reactos can be the next step.. a "M$ 'Politic' Windows Stop bullet" (like a Man stop bullet)
Hollow jacket bullet from stainless steal and inside copper instead plumbum .. ;) 20mm.
Linux it is very nice, but it is more like a Cake inside of a Cake Contest,
any Cake smell and taste other and be not the same at all & and not really compatible together ..

Reactos it is one Distribution for the whole world and have the force for beat the MS Windows (and politic) once and for all .

Linux, the one Linux from Linus had/was the possible for beat MS but the possible was take
away where was building up the american Redhat and Debian and and and the whole other Linux Distributions..
and the whole world has make with, because they have seen nothing bad in it. but more linux more incompatibility's
... if i not wrong... or ?

so in this sense ..

best regards
Blacky

btw. good work with update your board, nothing noticed, the rss works also further ;) :) *thumps up*

emma0103

Postby emma0103 » 21 Oct 2019, 08:37

thanks for the information
click here

gnuuser
Berserk

Postby gnuuser » 07 Nov 2019, 22:36

i dont trust them for a minute!
this seems like just getting a foot in the door to find more things to sue for patent infringement.
registered Linux user number 505431
Amateur radio call sign KC3TEC
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :
the aspiration of the indigent, the expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

Im so old even dirt was my apprentice!

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 16 Nov 2019, 04:50

Romanfershq wrote:This may come as a surprise to you, but they were not big fans, Linux Foundation executive director Jim Zemlin told me in regards to his foundation’s history with Microsoft. The new Microsoft under CEO Satya Nadella, however, is singing a very different tune.

Today’s Microsoft is one of the biggest open source contributors around. Over the course of just the last few years, it has essentially built Canonical’s Ubuntu distribution into Windows 10, brought SQL Server to Linux, open-sourced core parts of its .NET platform and partnered with Red Hat, SUSE and others. As Zemlin noted, Microsoft has also contributed to a number of Linux Foundation-managed projects like Node.js, OpenDaylight, the Open Container Initiative, the R Consortium and the Open API Initiative.

More details on :

https://hosting-india.in/black-friday-w ... eals-2019/

Spreaded the contagion, like a Zombie Virus. Watch how MS will hijack Linux code once intertwine itself in it. Very invasive spicie.

I do not give 2 shits whatever the CEO Satya Nadella says. He is just another puppet of the enterprise. Lets see, what happen to Skype?

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 28 Nov 2019, 17:21

I'm with R_Head. It's more like MS corrupted and tried to take over Linux.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 28 Nov 2019, 17:30

Also, this thread has been spammed.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Linux News”