Mageia server is getting better

Well it is a family: Mandriva Mageia ROSA Unity PCLOS. Brothers and sisters living together in perfect harmony - so it deserved som space of its own.

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Mageia server is getting better

Postby viking60 » 24 Nov 2015, 23:55

Mandriva's commercial side did concentrate on Servers and interoperability with a product called PULSE. This software was taken over by the company Siveo.

Now they have decided to make it open source and use Mageia as a foundation.
It looks like PULSE can control remote servers and deploy software on Window Linux and Mac !
I wonder if this is doing the same as Salt but in a GUI manner. :think:

I update all my boxes remotely with Salt and make sure that default packages are installed. It does not work perfectly on Windows though (very limited) and not on Manjaro. Debian Centos and Arch are no problem.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Mageia server is getting better

Postby dedanna1029 » 26 Nov 2015, 04:17

Yeah...
I'm kind of inundated with PULSE stuff on Mageia. Was wondering about that. Now I know.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 26 Nov 2015, 04:35

However PULSE and Salt, after doing a side by side comparison, seem to do essentially the same thing, anyway. I'm not convinced that PULSE is entirely open source like Salt is though.

However to that, it seems that Salt may not be able to do absolutely everything that PULSE does, therefore may be just a tad less powerful?
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 26 Nov 2015, 12:54

I think Salt is More Linux and therefor server oriented.

I think Puls must be real open source though since the Mageia people are pretty fuzzy with that. There might be commercial add ons and support deals to ensure the income. :confused
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 29 Nov 2015, 18:05

I think that's exactly what it is, Mageia got an income-generating contract with PULSE. There's clearly a closed-source element of some sort with it. They're pulling off a Mandriva, I'm sure.

Something that has clearly been absent this time around is Tomoyo, have you noticed? I'm wondering if PULSE is its replacement.

Have you thought maybe of trying out PULSE in real-life real-time application to see that kind of comparison? I wouldn't mind seeing that myself.
No gods, no masters.

jkerr82508
Guru-Berserk

Postby jkerr82508 » 29 Nov 2015, 19:37

dedanna1029 wrote:I think that's exactly what it is, Mageia got an income-generating contract with PULSE. There's clearly a closed-source element of some sort with it. They're pulling off a Mandriva, I'm sure.

So far as I know, NONE of the statements in that paragraph is true; NO money changed hands; NO formal contract is required; the agreement with Siveo will NOT generate income for Mageia; Pulse is entirely open-source. (I have no idea what you mean by the final sentence.) Please quote the sources for your assertions.

Siveo's stated plan is to generate income for themselves by selling support services, related to Pulse, in much the same way as Red Hat does with RHEL.

Read this:
http://blog.mageia.org/en/

Jim

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 30 Nov 2015, 11:59

It would be a good thing if it could generate indirect income so that does not make this the software from Hell. I am sure it is pure Open Source but still not quite sure where it fits in.
I know the Mageia people have been using Puppet to manage their infrastructure.
Do You know if PULSE is a replacement for this?

jkerr82508
Guru-Berserk

Postby jkerr82508 » 30 Nov 2015, 13:37

So far as I know, there are no plans at present to use Pulse on Mageia's infrastructure. Pulse packages would be included in Mageia's repositories like any other free software, for the use of those Mageia users who want to install them.

Jim

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 30 Nov 2015, 14:46

OK thanks!
Looks like I will have to check it out because of my lack of knowledge. I see that it is software to manage infrastructure but that is kind of a big area so it will be interesting to find out where it excels.
Maybe it is a logical product in addition to puppet for all I know... :confused

It does not seem to be in the repos yet - all I can find is a lot of sound programs...

jkerr82508
Guru-Berserk

Postby jkerr82508 » 30 Nov 2015, 16:26

I assume that it will be in the repo's before mga6 is released next year.

Jim

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 01 Dec 2015, 01:06

jkerr82508 wrote:
dedanna1029 wrote:I think that's exactly what it is, Mageia got an income-generating contract with PULSE. There's clearly a closed-source element of some sort with it. They're pulling off a Mandriva, I'm sure.

So far as I know, NONE of the statements in that paragraph is true; NO money changed hands; NO formal contract is required; the agreement with Siveo will NOT generate income for Mageia; Pulse is entirely open-source. (I have no idea what you mean by the final sentence.) Please quote the sources for your assertions.

Siveo's stated plan is to generate income for themselves by selling support services, related to Pulse, in much the same way as Red Hat does with RHEL.

Read this:
http://blog.mageia.org/en/

Jim

If you will reread, I said "I think." I stated it as opinion, did not make a blanket assertion. It is how things seemed, and I stated it as such.
Don't go off like a fanboi every time someone has an opinion, or thinks something may be up. It makes you and Mageia both look defensive, and gives others reason to suspect. I never said anything was up, it was general discussion and again I said "I think," and said why, that I'd noticed Tomoyo had disappeared, making me wonder about PULSE.
Going off on things like this doesn't exactly keep people as users. You could have just straightened out my thinking with a simple blog post link, but y'know what? Now I'm not even going to bother with it, just because you decided to get all pissed off at general discussion on this matter. It's honestly NOT that important to me.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 01 Dec 2015, 01:13

Other than yes, it seems to be all over my computer, yes indeedy. I've mind now to see about uninstalling it but I think I tried that already and it wanted to take a bunch of shite that I actually use with it. I'm going to try again to confirm or deny this for sure though.
No gods, no masters.

Return to “The Mandriva family”