What does your desktop look like?

Everything about it! Heard the news? What! is Ubuntu bankrupt? Has Mandriva started marketing? Have you taken a sky diving course?
We just need to know! No flaming! And we hate spammers -Get it?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Be jealous.

Postby dedanna1029 » 11 Sep 2015, 09:19

dedanna1029 wrote:Still some things to go; gkrellm, compiz and compiz plugins, themes to install, all kinds of stuff, but be jealous anyway. I iz on Gnome2, and that's where I'm staying.

Hey, do we happen to know if this wallpaper is still 'round anywhere?
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: What does your desktop look like?

Postby dedanna1029 » 11 Sep 2015, 09:26

dedanna1029 wrote:Now a fav one for this kid, thanks to you here (sorry I didn't see it sooner)! Purple, shrooms, I love it. Purple being my favorite color, and shrooms being my favorite... vegetable? Fungi? ???

Image Image Image

The icon theme is courtesy MIB here (the Magenta theme), the Window decorations are Corindon Purple, from "Get new themes", and the cursor is an animated one (you should try it; it's really cool!), Protozoa Grey here. For some reason, neither screenshot program would show the cursor, even with "Include mouse pointer" turned on.

KDE4, is finally a win, on this server machine. Think I'll do it again on my netbook.

Hey, and I'm betting those MIB icons will work now - openSUSE is still on KDE4...
They have been moved to here.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 09 Oct 2015, 17:19

More than worth the huge download. Cygwin on Windows, XFCE desktop:

Addendum: We're snagging updates for Mageia with wget now. :)

Don't mind the bottom panel. It's been deleted - it just doesn't seem to know it yet.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 31 Oct 2015, 21:02

According to the XFCE Wiki, new themes should be installed to ~/.local/share/themes, but I don't have that folder. Is this not valid any more, or do I need to make the folder?

I also don't have ~/.icons
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 31 Oct 2015, 23:56

I think the best is to install a theme from MCC and then set it up from there. All those wizards in Mageia must take care of that bit.The Faenza-icon-theme is OK install that and check if your directories are created.
I just noticed that setting up themes is not a part of MCC (as it is in Manjaro) so you might have to do it the hard way.
I think creating the Directory will work (make sure you don't confuse themes and icon themes).
Edit:
If you install the xfce4-whisker menu plugin then you can alter the themes there because you get a settings button on top
:A

You will find this under Settings in the menu too but it is easier with the whisker menu.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 01 Nov 2015, 02:34

Thank you and I will keep that in mind, but I remembered something. I remembered creating the desktop I'm creating now back in 2013 in Scotland, it was right after I had done a new install of Mageia to that computer.
That desktop was a KDE desktop, and KDE had in its System Settings the ability to install themes.
I tried logging into KDE on this installation, and installing these themes that I've downloaded from there. Sure enough, they installed just fine.
I then looked in Dolphin to see what folders I had, and the folders had been created when I installed the themes to KDE. :)
The moral is "duh, Ded, just wait a bit and do what you do, it will sort itself..."
Note the folders these are in, in the location field of Dolphin. I still don't have a ~/.themes folder, but I will when I install an actual theme to KDE. Clickety-click:

Image Image

Image Image

From what I understand, there is an XFCE-theme-manager package but Mageia doesn't have it - I'm going to have to compile it.
So, basically we have a case of the folders hadn't been created yet, and when one goes to do the thing that creates them, they get created. lol

Addendum:
Arch, I'm coming for YOU next (the world will blow up, just watch)!
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 11 Nov 2015, 15:59

Manjaro with Compiz 0.8.10 with the cube and emerald theme.
The standard compiz-manjaro is with Compiz 9.12 but there the cube will not work; everything else is smoother there though so that would be the one to choose if you can do without the cube.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 11 Nov 2015, 16:04

Can do without the cube but not without the cylinder. Does it have that? I'm doubting it if it doesn't have the cube?
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 11 Nov 2015, 17:19

You are right! The cylinder is a cube thing so it will not work due to dbus. It might be implemented again later on when they have figured it out.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 11 Nov 2015, 17:43

Thanks.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 11 Nov 2015, 17:50

As you can see it works in the 0.8.10 version
ImageImage

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 11 Nov 2015, 17:57

Very cool. I have work to do but more pressing things unfortunately at the mo. I need to try that firmware in Manjaro but have to install it to do so. Ugh.
No gods, no masters.

Return to “The Lounge”