(Windows) What will play an iso video file? Topic is solved

Need help with your Linux distro? All questions are good - not all answers are -but we try

Moderator: jkerr82508

R_Head
Berserk

Re: (Windows) What will play an iso video file?

Postby R_Head » 21 Oct 2015, 23:50

Yup, that is what my back ups are, DVDs. Most of the time ends up as 600MB+ avi to jam pack my phone with some movies. :mrgreen: comes very handy.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 22 Oct 2015, 00:01

dedanna1029 wrote:I've got some of my movies backed up as .iso files for convenience. It used to be that VLC at least would play back an .iso file, but it's not doing it now.

Why did you give up on VLC? I am able to open an ISO of a DVD movie with VLC v1.1.11 on Windows and VLC v2.1.6 on Linux. I think you'll be hard pressed to find another video application that can open ISO's directly and that has the codec support that VLC has... it is kind of like looking for a spreadsheet application that opens ZIP files.

s.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 22 Oct 2015, 02:48

It's not doing it in 8.1, v. 2.2.1 64-bit. See my OP.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 22 Oct 2015, 03:01

I saw the original post, but it doesn't actually say why it doesn't work, or where it fails. I am surprised that even VLC opens ISO files, and am skeptical that anything else does.
s.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 22 Oct 2015, 12:38

Well K, I think you need to change the ISO for some else. Not trying to be a jerk about it, seems that you are cornered on this one.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 24 Oct 2015, 00:03

Snork, first you say:
Snorkasaurus wrote: I am able to open an ISO of a DVD movie with VLC v1.1.11 on Windows

Then I respond with my version on Windows, then you say:
Snorkasaurus wrote:I am surprised that even VLC opens ISO files

Which is it? Can you play them or not? As I said, in Linux VLC has opened them for years.

It fails the second I go to tell it to open an iso file. It obviously doesn't open them any more. I stated this.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 24 Oct 2015, 00:07

So at the end of the day, there is no answer to my question.

Snork said iso files play for him in VLC Linux, so that question is answered, as someone else has now tried it (anyone else?). I'm not sure if that's the up to date version he's using though.

I'm using the latest for Windows.

I needed someone to just answer my question, is there something that will play iso files in Windows, yes or no, and if so what. This is still unanswered.
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 24 Oct 2015, 00:17

K your answer my be in Nero but you have to pay if you want to play and is not cheap either. Not sure that Nero, if they have a Win 10 version will work. As I said, try to burn it on a DVD and see if you can rip that DVD to AVI or MP4. In a format that you can view. Have you tried to do a Hard Disk burn and play the VOBs?

Heck, aMule might fetch an AVI or MP4 for you.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 24 Oct 2015, 01:14

dedanna1029 wrote:Snork, first you say:
Snorkasaurus wrote: I am able to open an ISO of a DVD movie with VLC v1.1.11 on Windows

Then I respond with my version on Windows, then you say:
Snorkasaurus wrote:I am surprised that even VLC opens ISO files

Which is it? Can you play them or not? As I said, in Linux VLC has opened them for years.

Those two statements are not mutually exclusive... it is both.

I was able to play an ISO file with VLC on Linux and Windows, and I am also surprised that it is possible. The reason I am surprised is because ISO files are not video files, they are a container, like ZIP files. Typically applications do not open files that are within containers. I am sure there are exceptions (like VLC), but most apps simply don't. In an ISO, the actual video files are the VOB files inside it.

dedanna1029 wrote:It fails the second I go to tell it to open an iso file. It obviously doesn't open them any more. I stated this.

What you didn't state is what happens. Does it crash/close the application? Does it hang? Is there any error message? Did you try the ISO on another machine or installation of VLC? Did you change any audio/video drivers lately? Did you install any other audio/video applications? Did you install any codec packs? Have you reset your VLC prefs & cache? Did you try reinstalling VLC?

If ISO support is limited in media applications maybe it would be better to repair VLC than locate a new application.

s.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 24 Oct 2015, 03:02

Nothing happens. VLC opens, that's it. It's like it's opened nothing.

I listed the things I tried in the OP.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 24 Oct 2015, 03:03

R_Head wrote:Yup, that is what my back ups are, DVDs. Most of the time ends up as 600MB+ avi to jam pack my phone with some movies. :mrgreen: comes very handy.

But does it back up the whole movie, menus, features and all? avi doesn't do that.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 24 Oct 2015, 03:45

R_Head wrote:K your answer my be in Nero but you have to pay if you want to play and is not cheap either. Not sure that Nero, if they have a Win 10 version will work. As I said, try to burn it on a DVD and see if you can rip that DVD to AVI or MP4. In a format that you can view. Have you tried to do a Hard Disk burn and play the VOBs?

Heck, aMule might fetch an AVI or MP4 for you.

I have the paid version, bought it about a month ago. I tried it - it's in the OP. It will only create its .nrg files, but won't play an iso back (Nero Media Player). I tried to play back an iso file with it, it was a no-go. Nero won't even burn to iso. I have tried burning to iso with it, but the option isn't even there.
With this being said I don't know if Nero would play back an .nrg file... interesting thought.

Update: I double-checked, it does burn to iso, I see it now. But play it back it doesn't do - I did try that. So I stand corrected.
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Help”