Post Your Public Keys

Everything about it! Heard the news? What! is Ubuntu bankrupt? Has Mandriva started marketing? Have you taken a sky diving course?
We just need to know! No flaming! And we hate spammers -Get it?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Post Your Public Keys

Postby dedanna1029 » 24 Sep 2015, 01:18

Um, I'm confused on a much higher level.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 24 Sep 2015, 01:19

viking60 wrote:Oh wow There is this import from clipboard option; et voila you get accepted - dedanna is down; one to go....
:drummer
Got them!

It kind of feels weird replying to an email in the forums but I guess it kind of makes sense.

It looks like you got it all sorted out. I received your encrypted email message, TBird/Enigmail prompted me for my PGP password, and then it showed me the decrypted message (see below). I then saved the encrypted .pgp file you attached, I decrypted the .asc file from inside it, and was able to import the .asc file (your public key) in to my keyring. I was able to set the trust for your key in Kleopatra key manager and in a moment I'll send you an encrypted email reply asking you to come look at this post.
:berserkf

PS: Here's how the Enigmail status bar looked in TBird when I got your message. Also notice the umlaut properly displayed in UTF-8 charset. :s

PS2: You probably do not need to encrypt your .asc public key file when attaching it to an email, it is obviously not a secret... however, some people prefer to do so because it then hides the fact that you have passed your key to a particular individual.

s.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 24 Sep 2015, 01:32

Your mail was nice and blue in Thunderbird with the Enigmail addon.

Dekryptert Melding is Valhallian for Decrypted message :berserkf so yeah this works and I have finally managed something with e-mail.

That means that practically everybody can manage this.+1
And yeah it is against the Board rules to continue discussions here from prior mails - but this is about (Inter)National security - so that means that we can break even the constitution if we want to +1

It is possible that my stupid questions can be of help to others - and certainly build their confidence (it doesn't get worse than me :-D )

It just might work in Outlook too
:A
http://www.anotherwindowsblog.com/2012/ ... -2013.html
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 24 Sep 2015, 02:04

viking60 wrote:Your mail was nice and blue in Thunderbird with the Enigmail addon.

Huzzah! :-)
viking60 wrote:That means that practically everybody can manage this.

Well it sounds like dedanna may have been tripped up by some of our explanations. That is easily the biggest obstacle in setting up encrypted email... everyone is coming at it from a different angle and it is really hard to design a single description (or set of instructions) that works well for everyone. I am coming from primarily a networking and OS management perspective so my angle on things is almost always about generating as much throughput as possible without sacrificing any security, performance, or uptime. That is why my priorities are often about minimalist interface, fewest clicks/keypresses, and wide open access to configuration.

I guess what I am trying to say is that my descriptions are often not well designed for use by anyone who is coming from the user perspective, developer perspective, or the artist perspective. :-(

s.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 24 Sep 2015, 04:18

I think I may just leave my mail as it is.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 24 Sep 2015, 04:19

In fact, I'm more than sure I will.
No gods, no masters.

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 24 Sep 2015, 04:58

well, the Pretty Goot Privacy do i am know also, if i see on Linuxdays at 2000 in Stuttgard,
ask me some peoples, hey, there is my Key, do you have also one ? get me.. this is important..
Well, i told him, well, look's interesting, maybe i take it, i would me better inform in the future ..
well, then i have puplic my key there
And then have i hear from an other "good Privacy" "The Not Unix"/GNU Good Privacy -> There
what the hack need i am again an other pretty good privacy ? for an better Privacy or better tell.. "i am alive" and need more safety ?

hollllyyyy.. an more and better privacy .. well, this is an argument !

the whole Wold it is spying .. and i mus confirm for i am alive and my data's be really interesting..

also if i say a simple " hi" and this in crypted mail .. ooookey..

this is my experiences with this "Pretty Good Privacy"

have a good live and make it harder and more interesting for others ! with an pretty good Privacy ! :dance:

best regards
Blacky

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 24 Sep 2015, 09:30

dedanna1029 wrote:I think I may just leave my mail as it is.

Now it is decrypting and encrypting messages - so that is all good.

I guess you can "sign" your messages to everyone - even if they have no clue about encryption.

Snorks take on this he has explained - and he always involves Seamonkey which is a browser from the Pre Cambrium era - good and old with a nice feel of Netscape.

This always seems to have some challenges that demands us to scratch our head with our toes though.
But :T

I managed this so that means it is not bad.

What I did was simply to go Tools and addons in Thunderbird and search for and install Enigmail.

Then I restarted Thunderbird and I had an Enigmail option in my menu - from there I just played around with it and got it working.

I had this place to ask my stupid questions: Like "does this affect my thousands of receiving and sending mails" and it does not - if I do not want it to.

Everything is pretty much automated in Thunderbird under Linux so it is easy to use.

You can trust me on this; I have more than 5 minutes of experience now :smug

And you have it working under Windows all supervised by Snork - Together we are dynamite - I tell you +1
Snorkasaurus wrote:
PS2: You probably do not need to encrypt your .asc public key file when attaching it to an email, it is obviously not a secret... however, some people prefer to do so because it then hides the fact that you have passed your key to a particular individual.

s.

It was all done for me by the Thunderbird Enigmail addon - I just took the defaults there.
When I sent it to my gmail account I just doubleclicked the .asc attachment and the key was incorporated after I had declared that I knew this really was the right person.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 24 Sep 2015, 11:02

I checked out the Outlook situation here
http://www.microsoftliveassist.com/cant ... fice-2013/

And there Jeremy popped up in a Microsoft live assist chat - so I took the opportunity to ask him - he is checking the Outlook encryption possibilities now.

Not that I have any clue on how he is going to get back to us with it though :think:

As Snork pointed out Gpg4win might do it for 32 bit but what about 64 bit Windows?
System Requirements
Gpg4win requires at least Windows XP. Both 32 and 64bit systems are supported.

The Outlook plugin GpgOL is compatible with Microsoft Outlook 2003, 2007, 2010 and 2013 (only 32bit!). GpgOL supports MS Exchange Server in Outlook 2010 and 2013 only.

This gives Thunderbird the edge over Microsoft Outlook "mail encryption wise" I don't think that can be in Microsoft's best interest.

They might have some "only invented here" solution that requires the whole world to have Outlook but that will probably drive more people away in stead of recruiting them.
Found the solution for Outlook! (Sorry Jeremy I beat you to it :-D )
https://www.giepa.de/products/gpg4o/?lang=en

Yes you have to pay for it - (but you are using Outlook so you are used to it :-D ) but this works with 64 bit and is maintained while Gpg4win is abandoned.
It will work with Enigmail and all other Gpg systems so I can now receive and send encrypted mails to Outlook too.

This must be great for corporate customers who want to communicate securely with the employees at home - they don't have to buy Outlook for them since they can use the free and open Thunderbird with Enigmail at home.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Post Your Public Keys- Chrome

Postby viking60 » 24 Sep 2015, 14:58

I just managed to decrypt in my Chromium browser.
As so many others I do use both Thunderbird for my Gmail or I just open it in the Chrome or Chromium Browser.

When I opened the encrypted mails in Chromium - It was truly encrypted as in unreadable . That is the point kind of so that is good.

Then I installed an Addon from the chrome store called Mymail crypt
I needed to enter its settings in

Code: Select all

chrome://extensions/
I found Mymail crypt and entered "options"
And there I picked the my keys tab on the top and was asked to enter my private key.

To find this I had to export my keys (Keypair) to a file in Thunderbird/Enigmail and then open it with Geany. There I could copy the private key and enter it into Chrome(ium).
Naturally I could have generated a new key pair in Chromium - but I already had one. +1
To accept public keys just paste them under the friend's keys tab

It works like a charm
So now I can read the same mails in the browser as in my client - as I am used to. :jackpot

And the beauty of it is that Google has made a living out of scanning the contents of our emails to place targeted adds - with end to end Opengpg encryption; they should not be able to anymore.

This should work fine for our Windows using friends too.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 24 Sep 2015, 15:37

viking60 wrote:I guess you can "sign" your messages to everyone - even if they have no clue about encryption.

Sorry... yes, I should have explained that a little better.

With PGP/GPG/OpenPGP you can sign messages and you can encrypt messages. The purpose of signing is to verify who the sender is. The purpose of encrypting is to hide the content from everyone except the intended recipient.

When you sign a message, you use your private key [which is never distributed], the message remains in cleat text, and the message is surrounded by the digital signature. Anyone can read the message, and anyone can use your public key to verify that YOU really wrote it. Someone else could modify the text, but they would not be able to re-sign the new text because they do not have your private key and passphrase. So when you sign a message and I verify it, I know that you wrote it and that the text has not been modified.

When you encrypt a message, the content is "scrambled" by using other people's public key(s). This gives you reliable assurance that only your intended recipients can read the message because they hold the private keys and passphrases to decrypt it. If I were encrypting a message to you, I would probably use your public key and my own public key - that way I could still decrypt it for myself later (if I only encrypt to your public key then I won't be able to decrypt it because I do not have your private key and passphrase). Some encryption applications will automatically encrypt to your own key by default anyways.

It is also possible to both encrypt and sign a message at the same time. This may seem like a stupid idea at first because obviously if I receive a message from you that is encrypted then it must really be from you... right? WRONG! My public key is widely available, so dedanna [not that she would] could encrypt a message to me and send it from your email address (because that is easy to spoof)! So encrypting AND signing a message means that I (the recipient) know that you sent it, that it was not tampered with, and that nobody else could read it.
:berserk2

Does that help a bit?

s.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 24 Sep 2015, 16:31

That was excellent! :s
Even I got it +1 And I am wondering why I haven't done this all along - it makes sense and it is fairly easy to handle.
I guess that my anticipation that this was complicated and could ruin my e-mail scared me away from even trying.

This is not the case.

Return to “The Lounge”