Raspberry Pi?

Hardware tips and talk

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Raspberry Pi?

Postby dedanna1029 » 11 Aug 2015, 02:12

Yes I will, thank you, but I need some feedback on them. Obviously I don't want a Windows one. Anyone have suggestions on what to get? I'm currently spying this starter kit. Because of certain circumstances being what they have been, I kind of missed the Pi rave, and am late on it. I am curious about what all they are useful for as well. I'm seeing all kinds of projects people are doing with them. I'd like to do something media-related (inet radio station server maybe?), or do something to watch movies with (I have both Netflix and Amazon Prime [so shoot me for the Amazon Prime]), something maybe music-related (I am thinking about going back to the piano, but a real piano, upright or grand). Y'know, the things you know I'm interested in. My roomie says she wants an Arduino. Whadya think?
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Raspberry Pi?

Postby viking60 » 11 Aug 2015, 10:29

Well that little thing is great for streaming videos.
I have installed Arch on mine and installed Kodi on it. It is blistering fast with no lagging whatsoever. That is the strength ot the ARM technology.
It is a fully fledged media Center.

Doing Libre Office on it would be less useful though.

You can do all of your installations - just by buying some extra cards (like with Cameras) and simply switch them - depending on your needs.

Kodi one day - something else the next day.

All of your suggestions are doable - and that starter kit seems to have it all.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 12 Aug 2015, 04:35

Very cool, thank you. What do you think on the price?
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 12 Aug 2015, 13:39

Including free shiping; that seems OK.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 12 Aug 2015, 14:19

Rpi's do well with video, but there is not enough processing power to make it a usable as a desktop PC.
S.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 12 Aug 2015, 19:10

I'm not sure yet, but I'm not thinking of using it for that. More of as a server, or part of an HTPC setup. A part of a project kind of thing. Is it still too low?

Edit: Although I will say the XBMC plug looks enticing.
All of the Raspberry Pi 2s (latest version) that I've seen so far appear to be 900MHz with 1GB RAM. This makes me think it's standard for them. I still have yet to look however at the Arduino Unos at Radio Shack ($34.99).
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 12 Aug 2015, 20:39

There's also this one. Switch it to the Ultimate Starter Kit... Link sent to me by roomie.
No gods, no masters.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 16 Aug 2015, 03:02

dedanna1029 wrote:I'm not sure yet, but I'm not thinking of using it for that. More of as a server, or part of an HTPC setup. A part of a project kind of thing. Is it still too low?

Edit: Although I will say the XBMC plug looks enticing.
All of the Raspberry Pi 2s (latest version) that I've seen so far appear to be 900MHz with 1GB RAM. This makes me think it's standard for them. I still have yet to look however at the Arduino Unos at Radio Shack ($34.99).

A pi would work fine as a low-end server. I had [temporarily] setup a rpi B+ as a web/mail server and it was perfectly functional, though I would not want to use it in a high-volume or mission critical scenario. My B+ was later repurposed as a media client using Kodi14 and it is perfectly capable of streaming 720 video across my gigabit internal network. It is much quieter than my old Boxee Box and using these instructions I was able to get the excellent Boxee remote working on my pi. Things to note about a pi are:
  • In many cases they do not come with a power source
  • They often also do not come with a case (which is fine if you don't mind a small blinking exposed circuit board)
  • If your display device does not have HDMI or composite input you may need an additional adapter
  • While they are low power, they draw more when you plug in peripherals of any kind
  • Some do NOT come with a network card, see model comparison for details
  • Getting USB wifi networking to work can sometimes be a pain (typically driver related and a result of the OS used)
  • They are limited in available OS's and the OS must be installed via another computer or by using NOOBS if it is on your [micro]SD card already
  • The SD slots (and SD cards) can be error and problem prone
Having said all that, a media box is about the best thing you can do with a pi.

S.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 16 Aug 2015, 05:50

Thanks, and yeah, I expected all of that with a Pi. It's half the fun, chasing down all the parts and building! It's also why I'm looking at bundles like the one in the OP. ;)

In the end, it will be either a media server or part of a media setup more than likely. We'll probably have it doing a lot of things. ;)
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 17 Aug 2015, 10:43

I set it up with Arch
:A
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2907

It was all new to me - but it works just fine now.

bi0 has made a tutorial here

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 22 Aug 2015, 22:32

Nice, always an option here! :)
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Hardware”