Move over Raspberry Pi - here comes a 9$ computer!

Hardware tips and talk

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Move over Raspberry Pi - here comes a 9$ computer!

Postby viking60 » 12 May 2015, 20:48

This thing comes with Debian as a default but can take other OS's so I would stick to Arch for ARM.
C.H.I.P. comes with a Debian-based OS (it can run any Linux-based OS) and comes pre-installed with a handful of apps with thousands more to choose from. Unlike other hobby boards, this caters both to makers and the average Joe wanting an extremely cheap computer to surf the web, check e-mail, play games, get work done and more.

And
Developed by Next Thing Co., this open source microcomputer is powered by a 1GHz Allwinner processor alongside 512MB of RAM and 4GB of storage. It features both 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity and uses a built-in composite output (or VGA / HDMI with an adapter) to supply video to a wide array of displays.

More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 12 May 2015, 21:12

Looking at this, I wonder if someone rooted/reflashed a Roku. Is perhaps the best one for Multimedia.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 12 May 2015, 21:24

viking60 wrote:This thing comes with Debian as a default but can take other OS's so I would stick to Arch for ARM.
C.H.I.P. comes with a Debian-based OS (it can run any Linux-based OS) and comes pre-installed with a handful of apps with thousands more to choose from. Unlike other hobby boards, this caters both to makers and the average Joe wanting an extremely cheap computer to surf the web, check e-mail, play games, get work done and more.

I have a hard time with this. The average Joe has a hard enough time changing the OS on his plain old desktop PC... a CHIP is going to be even more of a stretch.
S.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 12 May 2015, 21:45

True. Arch is my preference so I would destroy the working computer and rebuild it with "Alarm".
The average Joe should be able to buy this and have everything working out of the box.

Behold - CHIP - The Movie:
:A
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Hardware”