New browser: Vivaldi

What do you have and what do you want?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

New browser: Vivaldi

Postby viking60 » 30 Apr 2015, 09:56

Vivaldi is the new browser-kid on the block. It is based on the Google engine and is made by a former Opera CEO, hence the name - Vivaldi..

The guys behind Vivaldi are they guys behind the original Opera browser.
It is supposed to have an unique way of handling tabs.
:A
Vivaldi is in the Tech preview stage - so it is early days.

But I will give it a spin - and naturally report back (this post is written in Vivaldi :-D ).
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: New browser: Vivaldi

Postby viking60 » 30 Apr 2015, 11:16

So here is the marketing:
Customize Everything

We are all unique and we want different things. Vivaldi adapts to you, not the other way around. Do you like the tabs placed at the bottom or on the side of the window? Maybe you prefer a different address bar location too? With Vivaldi you’ll be able to customize all that plus much more, such as your keyboard shortcuts, mouse gestures and so on.

To get to all this flexibility you need to find that little wheel on the bottom left (se pic. above). Here you can adjust all of the above (and yes; it is very flexible (once you have found it :-D ).
You can also click the "V" on the top left and choose "Tools" and "Settings.
You can then decide if you want that "V" or a classic top meny (Old "Firefox style").

There is nothing unique about this - in fact it is quite familiar and that is nice.
And there are a lot of settings; including a decent Privacy settings part!
Here you can set the cookies behaviour +++

Checked!

So let us check the Vivaldi "adapts to you" part:
Here is the Marketing:
Adaptive Interface

Vivaldi’s color scheme will adapt as you browse the web, much like a chameleon adapts to its surroundings. A clean and modern look complements the content. Facebook turns the browser blue, The Verge will make it red — if you wish so.

Indeed the color sceem does change depending on what page you surf too! On bjoernvold.com Vivaldi presents some colors that fit the design and a totally different color sceem from Vivaldis home page etc.
This is not disturbing and pretty seemless so you have to look for it to notice it - nice (not a "need" but nice).

Checked!

Moving on to the famous Tab stack - here is the marketing:
Tab Stacks

Too many unorganized tabs can quickly become a bit messy, making it hard to find the tab you are looking for. Organize your tabs using Tab stacks! They let you group multiple tabs under a single tab. Just drag a tab over to another for easy grouping.

In the press this is presented as new and unique - but this is not the case! :snooty:
The old Opera had that before it switched to the Google engine. +1 Sadly this functionality was lost, so in some way it is true; Vivaldi is the only browser that offers this today.
So let us check the functionality of this thing.

I tried to drag one tab over another and expected it to group - but it just switched places. Then I discovered that the tab switched color (as in turned grey) at some point of the draging and that would be the time to let it "go".
Et voila I had stacked two webpages together. This way I can stack together as many pages as I want.

When I move the mouse over the tabs at the top it shows a nice preview of the pages stacked together.

To make them show up side by side in the browser I had to rightclick the stack and pick "Put stack side by side" (I have a Norwegian version so forgive me if the translation is slightly off).
To split the stack again you can do so by rightclicking again and choose the apropriate action.

This is a great function!
Why you say?
Well let us say you are writing a rewiew about some software then you can have the website to the left and write it up to the right - it saves time.
Other tabs are just normal pages (unless you have stacked them). This is very helpfull for tidy "surfing".

You can group by topics like Windows and Linux or Beer and Cars - you are the boss.

That is flexible! And I think showing the pages side by side is completly new (while the Tab stacking bit is not).

But that drag and drop was a bit sensible; so let us see if putting the tabs on the side in the "Settings" section does help...

No I could not figure out how to do any Tab stacking at all when the tabs are on the side:
So it looks like the tabs need to be on the top - where most Browsers have them.

This Browser has potential!
All in all I liked the flexibility so I will keep an eye on this one.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 30 Apr 2015, 12:39

Nice find, will keep an eye on it too.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 01 May 2015, 09:13

Yes this is a nice one. I am still trying to figure out what license this thing has though.
The mouseless surfing can be done with CTRL+Q.
There you can switch to the webpages that are open.
To navigate on the page you can use the arrows and Shift+arrows to follow links.

Edit: I found the terms of use:
:A
https://vivaldi.net/terms-of-use
Here at Vivaldi, we try to keep things as simple and easy as possible but since this is a legal document, it’s a bit longer than we would like it to be. It’s important that you read this carefully and understand the terms of use.

By clicking through, you agree to the following terms and conditions. If you don’t agree to the following terms and conditions, you are not allowed to use Vivaldi.net.

We may if needed change any part of these terms of use without notice and your continued use of Vivaldi.net will be deemed as acceptance of such changes. You should check the terms of use regularly!

That cooled me off a bit :berserk2

You need to check the terms often to check out the mood of these guys. :f

That is pretty crappy.
I guess you will not find Vivaldi in any Linux distros.
(I did test it on Linux but it will not be distributed with any distro with those terms).

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 01 May 2015, 15:08

That is big time..... WTF?

Return to “Software”