Tried to install Ubuntu today

You like a certain distro? Tell us why here

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Try to avoid "fanboyism" Spam is strictly forbidden. The general rules apply: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
viking60
Über-Berserk

Tried to install Ubuntu today

Postby viking60 » 18 Mar 2015, 01:30

I tried to install Ubuntu stable today on an EFI Virtualbox. That simply did not work so I had to give up. So I downloaded Lubuntu Vivid (15.04 Alpha) which is one of the first *buntu's with systemd.

All buntus will have Systemd eventually they caved in on that one. Systemd has simply become too much of a standard.
I will get back to the experience.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Tried to install Ubuntu today

Postby viking60 » 18 Mar 2015, 12:02

Lubuntu did install and I have managed to get a decent resolution.
Since this is an Alpha there are problems. I Get error messages when updating regarding the extra repo.
Synaptic does not fire from the menu so I have to do a

Code: Select all

gksu synaptic
in a terminal. In any case Synaptic has never been my favorite anyway....

systemctl status
shows what services are loaded by default. This seems to work normally.

Inxi is not installed by default so I installed it:

sudo apt-get install inxi

Then I checked out the repos with:

inxi -r

That worked just fine.
The Lxde environment is light and flexible way better than Unity IMHO. There even are more that one desktops which is not default in Unity.
But when I try to enter more that two desktops I get the report error dialog because it crashes.

So I report the errors - I guess that is what an Alpha is for...And they want my name and e-mail and create an account etc at which point I bail out...

The Filemanager is PCmanFM which is a good one. You can split it with F3 which you cannot with Tunar.

Fonts and rendering is nice.

The Lubuntu software center will make it easy to install software for anyone.

I am sure the many Ubuntu fans will be happy with this one too.

In general I never understood the need to mark all updates

sudo apt-get update

and then upgrade them with

sudo apt-get upgrade

Most other distros do this in one operation like Yum (Fedora) Zypper(Suse) Pacman (Arch) etc.

What puzzles me after testing both the stable (unusable) Ubuntu and the Alpha is the "bugines" of *buntu. If this is used to compare Linux to Windows then I must admit that Microsoft has a good case.

It just does not give the quality feeling, like Zorin Manjaro, Archlinux, Debian, Mint and many others do (Yes; huge span there of very different distros but the quality feeling and lack of negative surprises combine them).

It is not the first time that I am surprised of the bugs in Ubuntu given the massive corporate support that it has. This leaves me puzzled about the massive popularity that Ubuntu also has.

Maybe it is simply an instinctive reaction to the common and countless attacks on Ubuntu from all sides.

Like this one.... :think:

If Ubuntu is all that bad then everybody using it ...must be an idiot...and nobody wants to be labeled as that...and starts defending the distro and thereby themselves.

So let me point out that Ubuntu is part of the Linux family as far as I am concerned. I just do not find it usable. Most Linux users do not agree with me on this point.

And they are entitled to their opinion.. even if they are wrong :mrgreen:

I would never recommend Ubuntu to a Linux newcomer - In my experience that is a sure way to fall on the nose and get bruised.

Regarding this Alpha it is too early to say - it might become something quite good.

The transition to systemd - even if it is not invented by Ubuntu - is pretty much inevitable and a reassuring sign that Canonical cannot take Linux too far into their commercial exclusive sphere. Simply because they too are depending on the work of others.

They started with Debian and made Ubuntu - now Ubuntu develops with systemd made by Redhat.

That is what makes Linux great and superior.

And it is possible to make money with superior systems as Redhat has shown.

Ubuntu needs to get better. It does not "just work" as many other distros do...
What I don't get is that many/most of the good working distros are Ubuntu based :think:

But Ubuntu users do get a lot of (needed) support from a huge user base/community.

I guess this is where Ubuntu stands out.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Distro talk”