What have you got running in your virtualbox?

What do you have and what do you want?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

What have you got running in your virtualbox?

Postby viking60 » 27 Mar 2010, 01:06

Succesfully:
Arch (Gnome and Kde)
bootcrack
Centos64_bit
Parted magic
PCLinux
Superduperlinux (Made it over at Suse studio:)
Nimblex
Unity
Windows_xp
Not sucessfully any more
PC-BSD
Fedora

Miserable failures
Gentoo
chakra

If any of you have my failures working I am more than interested in hearing from you :!:
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: What have you got running in your virtualbox?

Postby dedanna1029 » 27 Mar 2010, 04:01

I never could get the hang of Vbox. :\
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 27 Mar 2010, 12:20

I think the trick is not to run the OSE version - I have always used the full version from SUN's site. http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Editions install it and then:
Download the iso and point to it under storage, as a cd-rom. The Live CD (or whatever) will then run like a cd. Install to HD, using all of it (How to set up the hd is in the virtualbox docs - it is easy). Power of the machine and release the iso from the cd-rom by making it "empty" - and boot.

That is all.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 08 Jun 2010, 13:43

I ran the OSE version trouble free but is handicapped by version. The OSE does not allows the usage of USB for thumb drives and other devices (except mouse and keyboard). I think the ability to read internal drives (partitions and drives). Another is mounting/mapping network drives. Other hardware things works fine. The OSE is good to test a distro but you can not do much with it.

I have not tried the paid version but will like to have it just for a test drive. That will allow me to use the Windows OS as an "Application" and skip the dual boot. I still on the MS shackles since I have a Camcorder that forces me to with its proprietary software
:f

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 08 Jun 2010, 14:26

viking60 wrote:Install to HD, using all of it (How to set up the hd is in the virtualbox docs - it is easy).

But if we're going to use the whole hard drive anyway, why not just install it? Why is vbox even needed?
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 08 Jun 2010, 16:01

dedanna1029 wrote:Why is vbox even needed?

For me is the ability to use 2 OSs at the same time without rebooting a system.

Is so sweet to run your favorite MS App on MS OS and go back to Linux with a stroke of a key within seconds.

One thing that I enjoyed a lot....

I was running Mandriva on my Laptop, fire up Netflix and said, FU you are running a non-supported OS/Browser. So I used VBox OSE and ran XP with IE. Silverlight got installed and I was watching Netflix on my Linux system on a VBox caged OS. Once I finished my movie, just turned off VBox.

Another thing is that you can minimize the view and leave it on a corner of the Desktop and go back and forth between OSs. No need for another PC. Is a very cost effective solution if you need 2 OSs for different proprietary applications.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 08 Jun 2010, 18:05

I have done netflix for years without having to use anything but the Linux and browsers I have.
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 08 Jun 2010, 19:41

dedanna1029 wrote:I have done netflix for years without having to use anything but the Linux and browsers I have.

Now, tell me how if you do not mind sharing.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 08 Jun 2010, 20:11

I install flash, I install java, I use firefox or seamonkey, and I just do it. Nothing I wouldn't do anyway.
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 08 Jun 2010, 20:37

Well, I do and does not works. I can see Hulu, ABC, CBS, NBC, TBS, You Tube and many more.
The Netflix website states that I have an Unsupported OS and Browser.

Even I used Konqueror and changed the Browser ID and OS, still no joy.

Even used IE with Wine and does not works.

On the PS3 and Wii you need a Disc to watch Netflix, is pretty anal in the way their site is setup.

You can browse the site for adding stuff in your queue but you can not view any of the instant video.

The only way I have seen it working with Linux is if you install Win OS on VBox and run it from there.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 08 Jun 2010, 20:43

Fedora is now working perfectly in my Virtualbox.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 09 Jun 2010, 00:55

Nice. It's working perfectly but one little niggle on my hdd. :)
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Software”