Google loosing US market shares

Business as usual?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Google loosing US market shares

Postby viking60 » 12 Jan 2015, 10:34

Google has been the dominant search engine for years. Everybody uses it, and they have been growing and growing.
Now they are loosing search shares to Yahoo.

While still dominant the trend is there and might worry Google. This is most likely because Firefox has changed the default search engine from Google to Yahoo.
Google searches have gone from 79,3 % to 75,2 % in one year.

This is not likely to change back unless Mozilla Firefox decides to switch back to Google. 12 % of the US internet users are using Firefox.
Google's violation of privacy may have played a small part since awareness in those matters is growing.

More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Google loosing US market shares

Postby R_Head » 15 Jan 2015, 21:40

Yeah and Yahoo is in bed with M$ which is worse. I bet money they gave the Mozzila Foundation a wad of cash to make it the default search engine.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 15 Jan 2015, 22:13

Yes, I am pretty sure that cash has something to do with it... :think:
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

Panther96

Postby Panther96 » 18 Jan 2015, 03:40

I think people are just aware now that there are other options, and they aren't terrible. Younger people (aka my age) seem to like Bing a lot because of its homepage (pretty picture with information about something else in the world, bing rewards, etc), then there's the Yahoo reappearing in the public eye with Firefox, and finally Duckduckgo is emerging on the scene (even Apple added a bundled optional search engine with one of the IOS updates). Google isn't the above all solution for everyone anymore

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 01 Feb 2015, 05:15

Have any of you guys tried StartPage or their alternate IxQuick?
S.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 01 Feb 2015, 13:57

I am using startpage it seems to be the one with the best results and privacy, but I was not aware of ixquick that one looks good too...
In fact I am not sure there is any difference between the two :think:

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 01 Feb 2015, 22:49

Will give a whirl to Start Page.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 07 Feb 2015, 20:22

viking60 wrote:I am using startpage it seems to be the one with the best results and privacy, but I was not aware of ixquick that one looks good too...

I believe that StartPage pulls its results from Google while Ixquick pulls from multiple sources.
S.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 29 Sep 2015, 21:25

Snorkasaurus wrote:
viking60 wrote:I am using startpage it seems to be the one with the best results and privacy, but I was not aware of ixquick that one looks good too...

I believe that StartPage pulls its results from Google while Ixquick pulls from multiple sources.
S.

Startpage pulls from other sources I believe too. I'm not 100% on it but that's the impression I get from the faq:
Q: I am getting personalized or localized ads while I am using StartPage.com. How is this possible?
Whenever you search with StartPage, your SEARCH is not recorded, your IP ADDRESS is not recorded, your IDENTITY is not recorded, no TRACKING COOKIES are placed on your browser, and our SSL ENCRYPTION ensures that your ISP or hackers can't eavesdrop. You are never seen by any of the search engines we query, including Google, even though you receive authentic Google results through Startpage.

https://www.startpage.com/eng/protect-privacy-qa.html
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 29 Sep 2015, 21:52

My understanding is that results in StartPage are pulled from both Google and Ixquick (which is a partner/sister company with StartPage). At Ixquick they pull results from a number of different engines including Google. So the bottom line is that [as you point out] StartPage is not just Google... however, in the testing I have done (only on Google Canada) it seems as though the results are heavily Google weighted.

s.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 30 Sep 2015, 22:16

Funny. I've been doing comparisons for the last 24 hours between Google and Startpage, and have been getting far better results on Google (google.com, U.S.).

I don't get it then.

I'm not worried with Google. I have their ad crap blocked, along with their tracking.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 01 Oct 2015, 00:26

That is the annoying part - Google delivers fantastic results ...those crooks :berserk2
But then again; Apple and MS are crooks too... without fantastic results.... :think:

PS: I have to make an exception for Apple's rectangle with rounded corner patent - that is brilliant and totally unique :lol:

Return to “Business”