Windows 7 very bad update

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Windows 7 very bad update

Postby dedanna1029 » 14 Dec 2014, 03:49

Although Microsoft didn't specify all the problems users have been experiencing, AMD's Robert Hallock said the update can prevent the system from installing new graphics drivers—which is particularly troublesome as AMD's feature-stuffed new Catalyst Omega drivers launched the same day the borked Windows update rolled out. According to Infoworld , users on Microsoft's support forums have pointed out a litany of other issues, including failure to launch Windows Defender, problems with running VirtualBox and strange errors from User Account Control.

Windows 7 users urged to uninstall broken update that wreaks havoc on software

Glad not to be using Windows right now.

Also meant to mention that this can prevent Windows Update from working.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Windows 7 very bad update

Postby viking60 » 14 Dec 2014, 06:28

The problems are reportedly limited to Windows 7 machines, and don't affect users running Windows 8 or newer.

Shows that there is such a thing as fairness in the world; ....they have enough problems already.

It may be hard to get the patches right for every hardware out there, but then again they should not aim to control all the hardware out there either.

AMD is needed to keep some competition out there.

One gets the feeling that the quality of Windows is suffering these days.

Windows 7 is the only usable Windows version - after all.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 15 Dec 2014, 22:13

If you are among the unlucky ones that have installed Windows update KB3004394 then you are in serious trouble if you have AMD and NVIDIA graphics.
Future updates will be blocked +1 so Microsoft recomends to remove this bad update.
It is a problem for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

Here is a update that will delete the update for you (pray that it is a good one :pray: )
:A
https://support2.microsoft.com/kb/3024777
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 28 Dec 2014, 00:59

Went to Colorado for a few days and checked my mom's Lenovo Thinkpad, as she is on Windows 7. This is one time I was glad she hadn't updated.

My question is, whether this is patched or not, things like this really are serious. Does MS pull their bad updates from their servers so people won't continue to download them? Have always wondered this. It also goes to show how long it's been since I've been into Windows (last time other than work was a decade ago I think?).

How does MS handle these things other than issue the standard "oops, we r f*cked up our computer again" announcement and the what the user has to do about it crap?

The user has paid for this garbage, then they have to be the ones to pay with effort and screwed-up computers on top of it?

Bah.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 28 Dec 2014, 21:43

I think Microsoft does remove the bad updates immediately. But many people may already have installed them so they are fubared anyway.

This is a case where it does pay off to not update very often :-D

It must be a fairly big task to take all the possible hardware into consideration - so I guess that is where they made the error.

Linux must have the same challenges though, so I don't know if this should serve as an excuse for Microsoft.

They want to control all the hardware for "security reasons" ; by the looks of it they are not able to.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 28 Dec 2014, 22:03

Exactly.
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Win News”