Windows 10 will get a lot of Linux functions

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Windows 10 will get a lot of Linux functions

Postby viking60 » 11 Dec 2014, 17:23

Microsoft does love Linux!
In Windows 10 there will be added functions that have only been available in Linux.

Maybe MS is aspiring to make Windows as good as Linux?

More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Re: Windows 10 will get a lot of Linux functions

Postby Snorkasaurus » 11 Dec 2014, 17:39

Man, every one of those "top ten" features is exactly what I do not want in an OS. :-(
Multiple desktops, fancy desktops, pretty pictures, distracting gadgets... everything on that list is going to increase usage of CPU cycles without increasing productivity. I am sure that someone would argue that something on that list increases productivity but ffs, it's just frivolous crap. No wonder people throw away three year old computers.

S.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 11 Dec 2014, 18:36

Multiple desktops is efficient.
If you want superlight functionality then Linux is a clear winner anyway.

I guess it boils down to everyones habits and what they want and need; it varies.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 11 Dec 2014, 19:25

viking60 wrote:Multiple desktops is efficient.

What that wish list is referring to [with regards to multiple desktops] is clearly "fancy flippy pages" and "nifty animated previews" and "CPU gobbling crap"... not a minimalist desktop switcher. And I can't possibly see any justification for CPU hogging garbage like "gadgets" or live wallpaper, that's just ridiculous.

viking60 wrote:If you want superlight functionality then Linux is a clear winner anyway.

I would much prefer Linux as a server because it is easier to make it more "superlight" by excluding a desktop environment and because it does a better job of managing network vs. local priority. However there is no Linux based solution that comes close to the "functionality" hMailServer which only runs on on Windows. As for desktops, I can squeeze more performance out of an XP box than I can out of most current Linux distros (and with only a fraction of the effort) including ones that call themselves light.

The term Operating System has changed over the years from "the software that provides access to your hardware" to "the fancy software that makes your computer fun to look at". :-(

S.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 11 Dec 2014, 19:40

I should also note that some guy named Peter made an application called DeskWin that provides multiple desktop functionality in Windows, long before XP was around. The most recent [2006] version [1.6.1] of this open source GPL application weighs in at a whopping 256k and works on Windows 7. I don't have/want any higher version of Windows to test it on.

That kind of "multiple desktops"... is not what is being referred to in the list unfortunately. :-(

S.

jkerr82508
Guru-Berserk

Postby jkerr82508 » 12 Dec 2014, 00:14

GoScreen provides multiple virtual desktops for Windows. It has been around since Win 95 and is regularly updated. It is shareware but a free of charge version is available. I used it for a while on Windows many years ago.

http://www.goscreen.info/index.html

Jim

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 12 Dec 2014, 09:57

Good tips there, I did not know about them.

I will also add that I have fully functional Windows XP installed on a CD - Bart PE. It is a good as a rescue CD and also for partitioning etc. So it is possible to install Windows on a CD.

But when it comes to live CD's; Linux does rule anyway.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 12 Dec 2014, 15:53

viking60 wrote:But when it comes to live CD's; Linux does rule anyway.

I have to give you that one. :-)
BartPE may have had some improvements over the last couple of years but I think I remember it being slow to boot and hard to manage what apps are on it.
S.

Return to “Win News”