Moderator: jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Windows 7 cannot log in!

Postby viking60 » 25 Nov 2014, 03:33

Windows 7 might give you an error when you try to log in:
The User Profile Service failed the logon

Yeah right - that helps!
The fact of the matter is that you are cut off from your data.

So here we go:
Hit F8 during boot and pick secure mode; that will log you in with the built in Admin account.

Then open regedit and find

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Here there are some folders starting with S-1-5 with a lot of numbers behind them.
I had one regular and one with a .bak extension (and several others with no numbers behind them - that I did not touch).

Right-click the folder without .bak, and then click Rename. Type .ba, and then press ENTER.
Right-click the folder that is named .bak, and then click Rename. Remove .bak at the end of the folder name, and then press ENTER.
Right-click the folder that is named .ba, and then click Rename. Change the .ba to .bak at the end of the folder name, and then press ENTER.

:A
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215/

It worked!

But don't tell me that Windows is so easy for the common Joe to use....
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Re: Windows 7 cannot log in!

Postby Snorkasaurus » 28 Nov 2014, 21:57

viking60 wrote:But don't tell me that Windows is so easy for the common Joe to use....

That was totally for me eh? :-)
S.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 29 Nov 2014, 23:31

No :-D I was just venting my frustration after several hours of rescuing. I would have vented equally dynamic if I would have to do the same on a Linux computer.
(I have done so on several occasions)
What I had in mind was the Microsoft marketing/training, that states that Windows is easier to use...

In general I will go along with that my statement is not all that scientific, but more of a subjective opinion - just like Microsoft's marketing :mrgreen:

The mere facts are.

1 My friend could not log in
2 She could not access anything

This left her with two options:

1 Buy a new computer
2 Fix the old one and try to rescue the data.

I have no doubt that without the jungle drums :drummer - pointing me out as a fixer; the cheapest solution would have been to buy a new laptop.
(It was not a very expensive one)
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 30 Nov 2014, 00:26

viking60 wrote:What I had in mind was the Microsoft marketing, that states that Windows is easier to use...

Microsoft marketing? I don't really see any mainstream TV, newspapers, radio, etc. so I wouldn't really know if they are advertising there. To be honest, the only Microsoft marketing I have seen (to the effect that it is easy to use) is the stuff I see while the installer runs. And I should note that it is a total crock that they claim each successive version is "faster" when clearly each successive version requires more system resources!

viking60 wrote:I have no doubt that without the jungle drums :drummer - pointing me out as a fixer; the cheapest solution would have been to buy a new laptop.
(It was not a very expensive one)

I hate that PC's/laptops/devices are so disposable. I am a big supporter of using older hardware and frequently recommend that people buy used or refurb machines when they can. Here at home I have one i5 box, a couple of C2D's, and at least a half dozen P4's. In fact I have a P4 with 2G of memory that serves as a mail server, backups, web server, MySQL server, TeamSpeak, IRC and probably a couple other services I am forgetting. Perhaps "How to load an OS" and "How to use a multiCD" should be mandatory courseware in high schools. :-)

S.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 01 Dec 2014, 12:25

The one thing that is more worth than the computer is the content. People do want their pictures and documents and they are often worth more to them than the computer.

But those can be rescued with our multiCD, without fixing the original Operative System of course.

So I agree - it should be mandatory in high schools. +1

Return to “Windows”