Rednotebook - Getting organised

What do you have and what do you want?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Rednotebook - Getting organised

Postby viking60 » 17 Oct 2014, 16:01

Techs like to fiddle under the hood and get dirty fingers and write cryptic messages on the web about their findings - that no normal person understands.

Microsofts has been criticizing the Linux community a bit about this - and they are right!

Normal people want to use their OS for something rather than fiddle around with it :boohoo: If you need to drive a car; you do not need to be a mechanic. And if your car breaks down - you call a mechanic.

So let us face it; we have been fiddling under the hood here and presented one brilliant solution after the other +1 and nobody cares :-D
What people want to know is "what can I use this for".

So time to actually use our systems for something.

Whether you have Linux Mac or Windows you can use Rednotebookto get organized.
I prefer Linux for a lot of reasons - but my main reason is the shear usability of it - not my inner urge to fiddle around with some code.
I like to be able to change stuff that does not work or needs changing though.

Others may have other preferences, based on their experiences. My experiences are with DOS Windows and Linux and some short experience with Mac.

Rednotebook adapts the modern way of tagging things as many of you (not me :hand: ) are used to from social media.
So you can put something called hashtag (#) into every text and search for all texts that contain that tag.

If you write a lot of text about Linux, Windows or Customers, you can simply put #windows, #linux or #customers somewhere in the text and it will turn up when you search for - you guessed it ; "linux" , "windows" or "customers".
For those who are used to writing Wikis you can make headers like:
==Passwords==
and subcategories like:
===Web===
===My computer===

Sounds a bit complicated but I promise you; this is a super flexible system with a lean and acceptable learning curve, and it keeps a structured and tidy house regardless of the amounts of data. There are templates that you can load so you do not have to do this manually.

You are the one organizing the structure - it is not forced upon you by the system. And the structure can be very simple or super complicated; it is up to you.
You can adapt Rednotebook to the systems you may already have. You can use templates that come with the system or make your own templates.

Rednotebook organizes the notes by dates and comes with a nice calendar. You can pick the backup option from the diary menu which will save a zipped backup in addition to the auto saving that is default.

You can write and close - the data will be there when you reopen Rednotebook. Once you get used to it you will love it +1
Your diaries will be saved in directories (folders for Windows users) that will be created in ~/.rednotebook/data

Encrypting Rednotebook directories with Ecfs:
But since this is addictive stuff and will contain lots of vital information I wanted to secure the data by encrypting them.
Linux:
I chose a new diary from the Rednotebook menu and called it work.
The work directory was created in ~/.rednotebook/data/work

Then I deleted that directory and ran:

Code: Select all

encfs ~/.rednotebook/data/work_encrypted/ ~/.rednotebook/data/work/

This recreates the directory and it is now encrypted. I added It to my cryptkeeper so that I can easily mount and unmont it.
When it is unmounted the work directory is not there - and when it is mounted you can work with Rednotebook and it will autosave the data in work.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Re: Rednotebook - Getting organised

Postby Snorkasaurus » 17 Oct 2014, 17:05

Man... today is a total rage day.

The Windows download of Rednotebook is 23M, which is "a little" large but I already have calendaring and documentation solutions in place which are less than half that size.

So I figured I would try Rednotebook out on the fresh Debian VM I was working on. The idea was to do a base install of Wheezy with absolutely nothing on it and build it up with Xfce. Turns out Xfce does not allow regular users to turn off or reboot PC's, only to log off... which makes a simple reboot far more irritating than is reasonable. There is apparently a way to fix this but it requires editing /path/libexec/xfsm-shutdown-helper and adding the user to the power group. This is absolutely ridiculous... this should be a check box, and in fact should be the default setting anyways.

My solution? Just login as root... I have never seen any good reason not to anyways. But running Thunar presents the root user with some big fat red warning message at the top, and xfe pops up a warning window that forces you to click OK before it will open.

Snork's solution?
Windates: 2.0M
Dokuwiki: 9.4M

It is really too bad WinDates is no longer maintained... I haven't been able to find a current calendaring app that comes close. :-( The good news is that I believe this site is legitimate and the application is now free.

My 3¢
S.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 17 Oct 2014, 17:10

Oh I should also mention that on a base Debian install with Xfce, the Rednotebook dependencies bring it up to about 192M total.
S.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 18 Oct 2014, 15:08

It looks like you need a policy kit there. Debian with openbox does reboot nicely here so I guess it should work in xfce4 too. And Rednotebook is a pretty good system that takes care of all aspects so yeah there would be many apps that are smaller.

And loging in as root is truly a bad idea.
Its just good practice on any operating system to run your applications on a user level and leave administrative tasks to the root user, and only on a per-need basis.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 18 Oct 2014, 17:46

viking60 wrote:It looks like you need a policy kit there. Debian with openbox does reboot nicely here so I guess it should work in xfce4 too.

Right now I am trying standalone Openbox, and it is not as miserable as I had expected. We'll see how long it lasts though. :-)
Right now I am just trying to make it behave reasonably, once I start to actually do stuff (like edit a picture or read some log files) the world may explode.

viking60 wrote:And loging in as root is truly a bad idea.
Its just good practice on any operating system to run your applications on a user level and leave administrative tasks to the root user, and only on a per-need basis.

I know people don't change their minds about this topic... including me.

My 3¢
S.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 18 Oct 2014, 19:04

Yup freedom is the right to make bad choices too :mrgreen:
Openbox is very flexible and light if you add the docky panel or some other panel you can get the good old WIndows feel there too.
install oblogout and you will be able to reboot and logout and hibernate etc..

Here is my Debian with Openbox - it is quite a "looker"

This topic has been Split; New topic here

Return to “Software”