Win update creates Blue screen of death

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Win update creates Blue screen of death

Postby viking60 » 19 Aug 2014, 23:38

Microsoft released a regular Tuesday update (update KB2982791) and users with Windows 7 got blue screens all over the place.
The forums started to boil and MS had to recommend to remove the update.

On the bright side; That blue screen looks way prettier than the old ones:

Microsoft is investigating the matter. They may have to alter this training material a bit

It may be that MS is focusing more on the phones and tablets these days - but their App store contains lots of uncontrolled crap where you have to pay for otherwise free software, so that part is not functioning so well either.

More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Panther96

Re: Win update creates Blue screen of death

Postby Panther96 » 20 Aug 2014, 02:04

On one hand, I surely do miss the easy 3rd party support that one gets with Windows, and yet my bitterness towards Windows itself motivates me to keep it away as far as possible. I've become quite comfortable with Fedora 20 + Gnome 3, simply flawless. It's a joke that Microsoft wants to play the reliability card in the marketing/training, though you could technically argue anything and create the perception that its true.

But yes, at least the modern world gets to witness the Blue Screen en vogue :lol:

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 20 Aug 2014, 11:18

Microsoft is fighting a battle on many fronts these days:

They have been outdone by Google and Apple in the Smartphone and Tablet market - that is simply because they did not have the innovation and creativity to match them anymore.

Then they have the common problem that they cannot be trusted anymore due to the activities of the US Government.

Microsoft general counsel Brad Smith, put it like this:
What we've seen since last June is a double-digit decline in people's trust in American tech companies in key places like Brussels and Berlin and Brasilia. This has put trust at risk

And in further detail:
Last fall people in Washington, including at the White House and Congress, had a view that this was an issue that needed to be addressed but might blow over. ... it is not blowing over ... in June of 2014 it is clear it is getting worse not better

More here
This is a problem, but not exclusive to Microsoft (Apple and Google do face the same challenge).

In this situation the product needs to be so good that it outweighs the downside, if at all possible, and that is hardly the case here....

In fact if you do not consider the risk of being spied upon when using MS products - many would consider it to be negligence these days.

The conclusions of this considerations may vary:
You may come to that you trust the US gov and that them having access to your data is OK.
This is more or less the case for English speaking countries + Scandinavia.

You may come to the conclusion that you do not want anybody else to have access to your data.
Which is mostly the case in the rest of Europe and South America and particularly true for Russia and China.

The latter markets are huge! Brasil is an emerging market with huge potential where MS is standing on the station and watching the train leaving.
Russia and China have picked up on their traditional skepticism towards the US and the rest of Europe are simply shocked by the scale of the secret US activities.

In any case there is no way anybody can say that MS software or Apple Software and HW is "safe" from the NSA - that is the main problem.

RedHat may have been put under some pressure too and have requested UEFI boot things that the Chief Penguin has dynamically rejected. The Linux kernel looks safe and can be controlled by anyone - so it will not be possible to keep long term secrets there. This ads to the "trustworthyness" of Linux.

In this situation you need to build all the trust that you can and you should definitely avoid blue screens.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 20 Aug 2014, 23:19

viking60 wrote:Microsoft released a regular Tuesday update (update KB2982791) and users with Windows 7 got blue screens all over the place.
The forums started to boil and MS had to recommend to remove the update
Interesting... I have a desktop running Win7/SP1/x64 that has KB2982791 installed but have had no blue screens on it. I wondered if I just needed a reboot to make it show itself... nope. Then I tried a cold boot... nothing.

I have a laptop with Win7/SP1/x64 on it which doesn't have KB2982791 installed and it doesn't seem to be being offered either.

S.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 21 Aug 2014, 14:31

I have not checked it, and I do not know if certain conditions must be met. I do believe it only affects 64bit. But the bug seems to be universal, since there are about 400 "me too" answers in the forum.

There are actually two bad updates:
So the two that are bad are KB2982791 and KB2970228.

Again; maybe you need both to get the bluescreen? :confused

It does not seem to affect everyone:
This is very strange.
I have a HP Probook running W7 Pro 64bit - all installed OK no problems. My son and I also have desktops with more or less identical hardware running W7 Pro 64bit - he has games and Office 2003 on his PC and all installed OK with no problems. I have Office 2010 and some other business type software and had the problem. I was about to do a reinstall but saw this post just in time. So it would appear that there is possibly a software, or driver issue somewhere. MS need to get this sorted pronto!

Just to make sure you should remove them so that you do not experience it.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 23 Aug 2014, 12:26

I got a BOSD on my Win 7 PC at work.

Took a photo with my phone but I cannot find it.

Is either deleted or saved it on my backup drive.

That happens, yes I have seen it; that I have proof, not at this moment but I hope the photo is not deleted.

Yes, my PC at work is dual Xeon and is Win 7 64 bits.

Return to “Win News”