Privacy: "We have mined all the data - what next?"

Everything about it! Heard the news? What! is Ubuntu bankrupt? Has Mandriva started marketing? Have you taken a sky diving course?
We just need to know! No flaming! And we hate spammers -Get it?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Privacy: "We have mined all the data - what next?"

Postby viking60 » 24 Jun 2014, 14:30

Much of the attention regarding the NSA surveillance scandal has been about PRISM and the retention of practically all electronic communication in the world.
Now these mountains of data are pretty useless without a system for screening and selecting the data.
This system is called Xkeyscore.
According to NSA this system can (or can't):
NSA said there is no "unchecked analyst access to NSA collection data. Access to XKeyscore, as well as all of NSA's analytic tools, is limited to only those personnel who require access for their assigned tasks." The NSA also states that there are "stringent oversight and compliance mechanisms built in at several levels. One feature is the system's ability to limit what an analyst can do with a tool, based on the source of the collection and each analyst's defined responsibilities."[7]

The agency defended the program, stressing that it was only used to legally obtain information about "legitimate foreign intelligence targets in response to requirements that our leaders need for information necessary to protect our nation and its interests. [...] XKeyscore is used as a part of NSA's lawful foreign signals intelligence collection system. [...] These types of programs allow us to collect the information that enables us to perform our missions successfully -- to defend the nation and to protect U.S. and allied troops abroad."[8]

There is a lot of "lawfulness" and great protection instinct there.
It is stressed how the system differences the access, but there is no denial of what the system actually can do and thus present to those with access - which seems to be a lot.

According to Snowden and Greenwall the system can:
On January 26, 2014, the German broadcaster Norddeutscher Rundfunk asked Edward Snowden in its TV interview: "What could you do if you would use XKeyscore?" and he answered:[1]

"You could read anyone’s email in the world, anybody you’ve got an email address for. Any website: You can watch traffic to and from it. Any computer that an individual sits at: You can watch it. Any laptop that you’re tracking: you can follow it as it moves from place to place throughout the world. It’s a one-stop-shop for access to the NSA’s information."
“…You can tag individuals… Let’s say you work at a major German corporation and I want access to that network, I can track your username on a website on a form somewhere, I can track your real name, I can track associations with your friends and I can build what’s called a fingerprint, which is network activity unique to you, which means anywhere you go in the world, anywhere you try to sort of hide your online presence, your identity.”
According to The Guardian's Glenn Greenwald, low-level NSA analysts can via systems like XKeyscore "listen to whatever emails they want, whatever telephone calls, browsing histories, Microsoft Word documents. And it's all done with no need to go to a court, with no need to even get supervisor approval on the part of the analyst."[6]

He added that the NSA's databank of collected communications allows its analysts to listen "to the calls or read the emails of everything that the NSA has stored, or look at the browsing histories or Google search terms that you've entered, and it also alerts them to any further activity that people connected to that email address or that IP address do in the future".[6]

What is a bit surprising here is that this system has been made available to the German BND and used by them since 2007.
The difference between the Germans and the US is that the US have gathered more data to analyze - and today the EU Data retention is not allowed anywhere in the EU - so there is not that much to analyze for Xkeyscore.

On the other hand the Americans might have reason to feel a bit annoyed with the German outcry regarding their surveillance - since they did it themselves.

Here is an overview of the Global surveillance program that no citizen of any of those countries have ever sanctioned (by election) or even were informed about.
:A
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_sur ... %93present)

To many's surprise Germany was one of the most targeted countries:

It certainly was a surprise to the Germans.

What really is bothering is that our governments feel entitled to gather and analyze every part of our lives - without asking us.
Every attempt to encrypt private data is almost regarded as an hostile action by our governments.

It must be possible to fight terror without sacrificing our freedom - or else - what is the point?
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Privacy: "We have mined all the data - what next?"

Postby R_Head » 24 Jun 2014, 15:57

My dear Viking, they are fighting Terror with Terror; 2 Negatives makes a Positive; just to keep you safe. +1

Think about it...
If I scare the shit out of you, you will do not nothing because of the shear fear :T

If you feel down, depressed, etc... there is a pill for that.

So you slaves, get your meds, do not worry and be happy :jackpot
Last edited by R_Head on 25 Jun 2014, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 25 Jun 2014, 13:04

Fear is important. Those police forces and agencies have an interest in informing about dangers and make it look real dangerous.
That is how they make a living.

No danger <=> no job.

It is not always that well meant interest in your safety that is motivating them - that well needed budget increase works wonders for their motivation too...

They have forgotten who they have to serve a long time ago - they are too caught up in the game. If one president is skeptical - they can simply wait for the next one...
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 25 Jun 2014, 15:24

Presidents/Ministers from all the countries around the world are clueless of what is going on.

Their jobs are to put a face for the people to believe on some. :A

To be honest, their so called Advisers are the messengers of real power in the country/world.

For example...
Our presi takes so many vacations to play golf and goof around.
The day has 24 hrs and do you think that he has enough time in the day to do all he said he is doing?
If he can slowdown time and squeeze 1 month on each day that is in office is commendable.

The only way to achieve that is to "delegate" in lame terms is giving the power to someone else to do as their please. :A

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 28 Jun 2014, 04:35

You could read anyone’s email in the world, anybody you’ve got an email address for.

I have a hard time with this... it means that either every single mail server on the planet has been compromised and cataloged or every single device capable of reading email has been compromised and cataloged.
S.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 28 Jun 2014, 05:39

Every single server seems the "best" aproach but they are probably using both methods.
Google mail gets scanned for content by robots in order to find your interestst so that adds can be targeted according to them.
The government have probably expanded on that.

It is shocking and rude.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 28 Jun 2014, 11:06

I guess I am a little skeptical that my mail server and/or my workstation have been compromised though. Surely if I write an email to someone with a Yahoo address it will be accessible to a number of companies or governments, but not messages that don't leave my mail server.
S.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 28 Jun 2014, 11:32

So far our most paranoid nightmares have not gone far enough - Edward Snowden is the only one that nobody has caught lying.

He is the most wanted man in the US because he has been telling the truth. So chances are that he is right about this :pray:
That makes e-mail an insecure form of communication.

They could have access through firmware put on your CPU (all made in the US) - that way you are lost even with your own server.

How can the Norwegian secret police demand keyloggers from the government if it is not technically possible on practically any computer? :confused
We can only hope that this only goes for Windows computers...

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 28 Jun 2014, 13:52

We need to tell the IRS. The NSA, CIA, Google and many others have copies. Their hard drives crashed along with glitches and all their emails are gone. So they claimed in the Congressional hearings.

Return to “The Lounge”