Openmandriva 2014 lx is out

Well it is a family: Mandriva Mageia ROSA Unity PCLOS. Brothers and sisters living together in perfect harmony - so it deserved som space of its own.

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Panther96

Openmandriva 2014 lx is out

Postby Panther96 » 03 May 2014, 19:48

Apparently Openmandriva 2014 is out as of May 1st https://blog.openmandriva.org/en/2014/0 ... ning-free/ . Can't wait to finally try the final release; downloading now.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Openmandriva 2014 lx is out

Postby viking60 » 04 May 2014, 12:42

Wiil try to upgrade my 2013.0 install..Now lemme see where are those repos... :think:
Ah yes found it :
:A
http://wiki.openmandriva.org/en/2014.0/ ... _to_2014.0

Doing the stuff now...I have installed quite a lot (including a LAMP server) . Since I run Openbox I did not get an update popup (Maybe it is due to Openbox :confused ) so I have to do it manually - naturally without a backup since that only is for chicken :berserkf
I'll let you know....

..Well the update went through but I have lost my GUI. No kdm: I will have to dive into this one..

When trying to start kdm manually I get

Code: Select all

cannot open the file /usr/share/apps/kdm/themes/mandriva-kde4

mandriva-kde4 was not there so I created it...
And that did not help . it still says it cannot find it - probably because the directory is empty :think: It looks like I did not get the artwork.

Berserks dont give up so I copied the content of /usr/share/apps/kdm/themes/OpenMandriva to mandriva-kde4:

cp /usr/share/apps/kdm/themes/OpenMandriva/* /usr/share/apps/kdm/themes/mandriva-kde4

And Oh wonder; now it boots like it should - starts kdm, and logs me in to my Openbox. My Openbox wallpaper is gone though so I will have to set a new path for it in nitrogen...
Et Voila:
:A

Not too bad this update - but that mandriva-kde4 directory problem is probably a bug +1
But it could also be that I do not have a full kde install since I use Openbox - I still think that the themes for kdm should be created properly though -since kdm can be used with other DE's.
Here are my data:

[thomas@localhost ~]$ inxi -Fz
System:    Host: localhost.localdomain Kernel: 3.13.11-nrjQL-desktop-1omv x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: Openbox 3.5.0 Distro: OpenMandrivaLinux 2014.0 Phosphorus
Machine:   System: innotek product: VirtualBox version: 1.2
           Mobo: Oracle model: VirtualBox version: 1.2 Bios: innotek version: VirtualBox date: 12/01/2006
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i7 CPU 920 (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3)
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2673.601 MHz 2: 2673.601 MHz
Graphics:  Card: InnoTek Systemberatung VirtualBox Graphics Adapter
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: ati,vboxvideo,v4l Resolution: 1680x1050@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.1
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller driver: snd_intel8x0 Sound: ALSA ver: k3.13.11-nrjQL-desktop-1omv
Network:   Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c970 [PCnet32 LANCE] driver: pcnet32
           IF: eth0 state: unknown speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 15.7GB (36.6% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: VBOX_HARDDISK size: 15.7GB
Partition: ID: / size: 7.4G used: 4.9G (70%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 6.0G used: 535M (9%) fs: ext4
           ID: swap-1 size: 0.91GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 116 Uptime: 3:25 Memory: 420.1/1589.7MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.18

Bug reported here
Solution:
Openbox users must make sure that distro-kde4-config-Openmandriva is installed since this regroups OpenMandriva specific KDE-config files.

In any case I decided to install lxdm and drop kdm which probably is the sensible thing to do if you use Openbox anyway.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 06 May 2014, 10:52

The new stuff in OpenMandriva that everybody will notice is the choice of Homerun as the menu/launcher.
On the first glance this looks pretty much like the Gnome solution with big icons all over the screen and poor overview.

But you can add a non-fullscren widget of Homerun to your KDE panel - and that actually looks pretty slick and will satisfy the conservative Linux guys who do not like dramatic changes.
And why not have booth? That is no problem. KDE is still a flexible DE - much unlike Gnome3.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

Panther96

Postby Panther96 » 07 May 2014, 06:40

Well as much as I wanted to like OMV (perhaps out of Mandriva nostalgia) I unfortunately found myself after two days running back to Manjaro. Its not that Openmandriva 2014 Lx is bad, the product itself is fantastic with great polish, especially considering the size and resources of the developing team. Nevertheless for semi-(non-linux savvy) users like myself who find themselves lost without documentation and active community (try asking a question on the IRC channel), it becomes a no go when system utilities aren't quite available or easily understandable. This is not to say I wont try Openmandriva another day (it does have a solid foundation: stability, speed, the general things works, hands-down the most beautiful of all, and is even the first distro that doesn't hang for 5-10 seconds upon waking this laptop from sleep/suspension) but is still very much feels a works in process understandingly. Since I'm still a bit in the Race to the End with a few things I will need to go back to Ol'Reliable before I can go out experimenting :) can't count on Windows for those oh-shit moments after all :D

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 07 May 2014, 11:42

You are making good points - hard to argue with that. Even if we can help you here too (with OMA), the Manjaro community is great and will help you (as we will here).

Return to “The Mandriva family”