Call and challenge to Per Oyvind

You like a certain distro? Tell us why here

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Try to avoid "fanboyism" Spam is strictly forbidden. The general rules apply: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Call and challenge to Per Oyvind

Postby dedanna1029 » 04 Aug 2013, 14:53

Start your own distro. I realize you have to make a living, but I don't think you're going to get much of one anyway from what you're currently doing. You're talented, you're extremely intelligent, you could make it a for-pay as Mandriva did, put out a community edition, and a sort of "powerpack" (but not the same name) for income, only spend the money made from it wisely unlike Mandriva did.

If you're already working on it, disregard this. If not, please seriously consider. You'll have all the help you need along the way.

Anyone who can get a hold of Per, please pass this along to him. Thanks.

This thread is not to discuss any other distro. If your intention is to mention another one in existence or that is trying to be in existence, please do not post here. Thanks again.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Call and challenge to Per Oyvind

Postby viking60 » 05 Aug 2013, 01:08

There is no point.
All the Mandriva distros are understaffed as it is; in addition they have organized it after the "rowing" model.

You know that yearly rowing competition between Oxford and Etan?

One man screams and 8 other row their arses off.

They did get it a bit wrong though:

In OMA eight people scream and one works his arse off...... :-D
A bit of cooperation is needed - if possible.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 05 Aug 2013, 13:29

IMO the Mandriva staff situation is their own fault and problem. If even one man decides they are not going to put up with their staff "methodology", then maybe things can change.
People only put up with bullshit for so long. If only one is going to row the boat, they might as well row it for their own benefit, and not a bunch of slave-drivers.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 05 Aug 2013, 14:24

Yes it is as they so often say voluntary to stay with Openmandriva. This has been used as an argument to get rid of opposition too.

But if there is a majority who wants it then it is OK I guess.
What I have criticized before is that they have ignored the majority before (remember the logo competition?).
And only the chosen few who yet again had the patience to register on yet another site got to vote.

So they are not that democratic.

If you do that you better get a good distro out there - that tends to put forgiving smiles on peoples faces . including mine :-D

My confidence is not all that great these days though so I check out the releases and report my findings.

Here! I am not sure where they would like me to register for that but I am tired of putting my email on every cloud out there.

So far I have no sound on my 64bit Moondrake
I use the rosa coocker and the Moondrake beta Per posted.

It complains about gstreamer plugins (OGG and MP3).
    Flash chrashes.
    For some reason LibreOffice does not fire.
    If I remember correctly I had to start the GUI manually after an update with startx.

Urpm is not yet ready to treat orphans by the looks of it either, so there is a bit left to do.
There are good people working on it - who want to concentrate on the coding so all hope is not lost.

But there are to many people "organizing" and too few "doing".
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 05 Aug 2013, 16:37

Well, I'm sure that Per can improve on what he's done, and Moondrake is a good name to me. lol.

All he'd need to start is a community to help, and go from there. Yes, takes time to establish, but if he stays away from the OpenMandriva mess (and avoids taking on their people - if he takes on other programmers) and moves along with his own, I have no doubt that time would reward him.

Anyway, I'm doing too damn much posting at this forum, and not getting enough work done lately for Mom. Time to let others give it a go.
No gods, no masters.

proyvind

Postby proyvind » 16 Aug 2013, 06:36

viking60 wrote:Yes it is as they so often say voluntary to stay with Openmandriva. This has been used as an argument to get rid of opposition too.

But if there is a majority who wants it then it is OK I guess.
What I have criticized before is that they have ignored the majority before (remember the logo competition?).
And only the chosen few who yet again had the patience to register on yet another site got to vote.

So they are not that democratic.

If you do that you better get a good distro out there - that tends to put forgiving smiles on peoples faces . including mine :-D

My confidence is not all that great these days though so I check out the releases and report my findings.

Here! I am not sure where they would like me to register for that but I am tired of putting my email on every cloud out there.

So far I have no sound on my 64bit Moondrake
I use the rosa coocker and the Moondrake beta Per posted.

It complains about gstreamer plugins (OGG and MP3).
    Flash chrashes.
    For some reason LibreOffice does not fire.
    If I remember correctly I had to start the GUI manually after an update with startx.

Urpm is not yet ready to treat orphans by the looks of it either, so there is a bit left to do.
There are good people working on it - who want to concentrate on the coding so all hope is not lost.

But there are to many people "organizing" and too few "doing".

For sound not working, it's prolly related to the issues about releases not being synced, with newer ones appearing in om-cooker, obsoleting my gstreamer* builds.
I'm gonna look into after writing this and try push out a new update. :)

Otherwise wrt. the challenge, I had already made up my mind about it requiring too much time and efforts, something that already was an overwhelming problem already while employed to work on full time (in addition to my spare time).
As I've given up on things and the few bad seeds ruining the project and blocking things (they're certainly in a minority, mainly made up by the association's vice president on project side and also it's president otherwise), however, I've decided to actually to make a final make or break attempt to provide me with closure and free up time to waste on more constructive things such as either world peace, curing cancer or securing myself disposable income. ;)

I'll try finallly wrapping up things over the weekend and stop procrastinating things much further in order to get a beta release out together with an announcement.
That'll help me finally get back to real life and focus on some tasks for a potential new employer that really needs to be given a higher priority, after all, I'm not Jebus or anything.. :p

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 16 Aug 2013, 20:59

Glad to see you drop in.

That's *somethinng* I guess. Best of luck to you.

There is an article in our jobs section about how Linux techs are high in demand. Feel free to scan it - hope it helps in your search.
No gods, no masters.

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 17 Aug 2013, 08:53

jesus crist, common Peeer, they want maybe crossed you, but you be not Jesus *lol* ... ohh cheeessyy *lol*
but praying to you now , i do it not *bg* hooollyy sshhhh.... *rofl*
ohhw.. mate ;)
best regards
Blacky

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 17 Aug 2013, 13:54

Let's not turn this into another power struggle or argument please.

Also, if the man wants to leave and do something else, that's both his prerogative and right. Let him go in peace. Everyone's used and soaked him enough for what he does. He can't be blamed. No one can, under that kind of stress.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 17 Aug 2013, 13:56

Far as I'm concerned, this thread is done, as he's been wished well, and always will be.
Last edited by dedanna1029 on 20 Aug 2013, 00:45, edited 1 time in total.
No gods, no masters.

proyvind

Postby proyvind » 19 Aug 2013, 19:28

Thinking more about this, I'm coming back to thinking that I don't have the time for much just now currently..

Maybe later..

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 20 Aug 2013, 00:48

If nothing else, it's something to think about, even if for later on down the road.
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Distro talk”