Ubuntu

You like a certain distro? Tell us why here

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Forum rules
Try to avoid "fanboyism" Spam is strictly forbidden. The general rules apply: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568
b1o
IT and IS Guru-Berserk

Re: Ubuntu

Postby b1o » 29 Mar 2010, 02:25

It did take up more memory when both was installed, don't ask me why:P, and for apt-get vs yast or yum or w/e it's called it includes a lot more "usefull" programs, mandriva may contain more packages in total(this i don't know i haven't checked) but always when i'm searching in another distro then ubuntu i end up having to compile the source because there were no package for it, this may have changed, since last time i tried another distro was a year ago :) so time for gentoo ^^
CPU: i7 950 3.1 ghz |RAM: 12 GB DDR3 |Graphics: Nvidia Geforce gtx 280 |motherboard: Rampage II Extreme |OS: Arch + windows7

Just remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question, until you ask it

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 03 Apr 2010, 18:13

tuxplanet wrote:Ubuntu 10.10 codename announced: Maverick Meerkat

@tuxplanet on Twitter.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 23 Apr 2010, 16:21

I'll give it a spin. It has been such a long time since I tested it, that my views on it may be all prejudice by now.
Ok here it is:
I downloaded 10.04 Lucid Lynx.

Nice installer whit a lot of info about all the advantages of Ubuntu - kind of like the windows installer where you have something to read while you are installing. Best installer in the Linux world, fore sure!

Now Ubuntu is in the front line when competing with windows. The irony of that IMO, has been that a distro like Mandriva has been far more user friendly with its control panel. So the transition to Linux was more bumpy than it had to be.
Has this changed?
Well - yes :!:
The color has been debated and I don't care, you can always change it.
But the one thing that really impressed me was the boot speed. In Virtualbox that thing boots really fast. That is one of the most important things with any OS if you ask me.

Ubuntu now also has a control center for installing software that is intuitive and really good. The newbies coming from Windows always wonder how to install software in Linux. With Ubuntu they won't anymore.
I fire up firefox and the fonts are clearly much better than the Mandriva equivalent.
There might be some purist and legal reasons for this - I just say it looks better in Ubuntu. I installed Bluefish and a LAMP server. The Lamp server is the fastest installation I have done on any Linux. Search for lamp and pick something called syscp. It prompted me for the Mysql password on the way and did set up everything.
Actually the last step did not go through so I had to abort it, but by then the server was up and running. I then installed phpmyadmin. It was integrated and worked out of the box. Nice Ubuntu! So for the first time Ubuntu is in the area of actually deserving the top spot it has been holding "forever".
This top spot must be a distro that makes a transition from Windows attractive and easy. And Ubuntu 10.04 does just that.
No need for a command line interface, but it is there if you want it.
So far the top spot has been Mandriva in competition with Suse for a Linux beginner, from a distro point of view IMO. From a marketing point of view Ubuntu has been on top.
I am a Mandriva user, but I am not blind. Mandriva 2010.1 has it's work cut out for them and the challenge is formidable. Opensuse 11.2 is not even close, so the same goes for them.
For the first time Ubuntu is actually the distro that should be recommended to a beginner.
That is a compliment, and it is clear that a professional organization is standing behind Ubuntu. They have always been in the no. 1. area for documentation.
They have come to stay - no doubt. Not every distro can claim the same.

So is there nothing negative about Ubuntu 10.04?
Well there is no real control panel like in Mandriva and Open Suse for the system settings.
Oh yes - and how on earth are we going to deal with the hopeless Ubuntu fanboys now, (with their intolerable loud mouths). :mrgreen:
Will I change to Ubuntu now? - No I will not.
Would I recommend it as a starting point for Linux? - Yes.

It looks like this:
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 10 May 2010, 00:09

Reality check - I installed Ubuntu 10.04 on a ACER ASPIRE ONE. I thought it must be perfect there with its speed! It is the slowest piece of software that box has ever run. So no reason to get euphoric about Ubuntu 10.04 either.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 10 May 2010, 04:30

I never expect it to be. :P
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

b1o
IT and IS Guru-Berserk

Postby b1o » 13 May 2010, 15:23

Ubuntu 10.04 is really really gay, with it's purple look and the mac buttons, yuck.
Can't say i'm willing to switch back from arch either. still running stable
CPU: i7 950 3.1 ghz |RAM: 12 GB DDR3 |Graphics: Nvidia Geforce gtx 280 |motherboard: Rampage II Extreme |OS: Arch + windows7

Just remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question, until you ask it

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 13 May 2010, 23:49

No if you are on Arch - there is no contest really. Arch is vastly superior - but don't expect the average Joe to be able to install it.

rubioley

Postby rubioley » 12 Oct 2010, 09:07

How to connect 2 monitors , 2 keyboards , 2 mice on single CPU with a switch to make one operate at a time? I want to utilize my PC(Desktop) from different rooms of my house. So instead of buying a new laptop , I felt it would be better if I can connect my Desktop through multiple keyboard mouse monitor shared on single CPU ; with a switch that can make a particular set of monitor keyboard mouse working . Can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative to make this work .
Last edited by rubioley on 14 Oct 2010, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 12 Oct 2010, 12:11

Welcome rubioley :greetings Interesting idea you have there.
I guess having two monitors will work out of the box. I am not sure about several keyboards - but they just might work too.
So if you connect your PC with your TV (or a monitor) with a multimedia (VGA) plug - that will work. If you connect the keyboard (you will need a long usb cable or wireless) it just might work too.
Of course it will not be possible to use the keyboards simultaniously. So this is a sollution for moving from place to place.

Maybe someone else has experience on this?

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 12 Oct 2010, 20:08

Welcome rubioley. :)

I've contacted someone who may know for you. I'm not 100% if they do know, but might. It's just a matter of waiting to see.
No gods, no masters.

Joste
Berserk

Postby Joste » 12 Oct 2010, 21:39

I know that two mice will work OK together - I have used both a usb and ps2 mouse at the same time on one machine (just because I was too lazy to unplug the one with the short lead) and both worked fine. I see no reason that two keyboards won't work, I have seen a keyboard and a bar code reader (which looks to the pc like a serial port keyboard) and a keyboard work on the same PC, which was running linux, Debian iirc. So the only issue I can see would be cable length...
Past experience demonstrates best method to tighten bolts is to use appropriate size spanners.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 15 Nov 2010, 00:37

OK time for a commercial break:
:A

Return to “Distro talk”