Über-Berserk

Installed Steam -what now?

Postby viking60 » 31 Mar 2013, 12:18

Well I have installed steam on this really low spec lap

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Wrestler [Radeon HD 6250]
           X.Org: 1.14.0 driver: radeon Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD PALM GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.1.1

And It looks impressive so I registered and wanted to try a demo game working on Linux. Well ....I am very new at this so I would not know how to do that. Is there a decadent gaming youth (below 70 will do..) that can help me?
Is there such a thing as a free game that I can test? I did notice that some games were not avialable for "my platform" but everything seems to work fine.
Since Arch is not supported I need to install libraries etc but I am fine with that.

So all i want to do is to play this free Linux game to check out that it all works as good as it looks - so :S HELP!
All the Free to Play games seem to be for inferior OS'es
Edit:
Hey I think I am on to something here:
That is a snapshot of my desktop...So it can run trailers (lagging).
So I opted for Beta testing. That makes me look more sophisticated but I have no clue what I am doing here so I still need that help :-D
And I do realize that it will be a miracle to get any games going on this low spec computer...I just need some sort of confirmation of one game working,,,,
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Re: Installed Steam -what now?

Postby rolf » 31 Mar 2013, 15:18

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... X-5121#how

Did you look around at steampowered.com? :confused

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 31 Mar 2013, 16:04

No but I will thanks!
One funny thing I have gotten out of it so far is that every time I write ls wrong so it becomes sl then a choo-choo train drives across my terminal
Image :-D
:A

Edit:
And I pretty much do not have any games in my library:
Clicking Library in the Steam application will bring you to a listing of all games that have been registered to this Steam account. Double click any of these titles to install and run the game.

That could have something to do with me not having bought any game. But I think it is only fair that I get to test one first especially since my Linux distro is not supported....
I will have to dig until I find something
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 31 Mar 2013, 21:40

:T Of course, your gaming experience will be more full-featured in the paid version :A

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 31 Mar 2013, 21:46

Oh wow! Now I will just have to dig up those dineros. Lots of extra features there :lol:

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 01 Apr 2013, 16:10

Oh, so that's what steam does? Makes pretty ascii choo-choos on our screens?

Joste tried it. It wouldn't even show the games he'd paid for through Humble Bundle. He finally could find an actual game or two in there to play, but it wasn't impressive at all, there were so few. He got out, didn't go back.

But now that we know about this new choo-choo feature, we both might find a cause to get back into steam, who knows. :P
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

b1o
IT and IS Guru-Berserk

Postby b1o » 29 Apr 2013, 22:22

The library for linux games on steam grows every day.

I can recommend a great game: "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" it is a horror game that will make you shit your pants.
I know Viking has played penumbra earlier, and this game is made by the same company.

a truly great indy game. It is also the only game that has made me scream like a little girl (in recent days :oops: )

Steam for linux is developed for one reason, and that reason is that the founder of Valve Gabe Newell, has lost it's faith in microsoft.

I can't blame him after seeing and trying windows 8
CPU: i7 950 3.1 ghz |RAM: 12 GB DDR3 |Graphics: Nvidia Geforce gtx 280 |motherboard: Rampage II Extreme |OS: Arch + windows7

Just remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question, until you ask it

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 29 Apr 2013, 23:12

Hear hear :B Microsoft continue to commit suicide with their "offer you can't refuse" deals. Comes from a long history of being dominant I guess.
As you an see here we are in serious need of Howtos and step by step guidance - so let's have them :gimme

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 02 May 2013, 16:51

I've played the Amnesia Dark Descent just a bit. We got it from Humble Bundle, but again, still have issues pulling up already-paid-for games. I'm still preferring to play directly through my computer without the steaminess, but then I'm more of a console gamer anyway. I don't even play much on the computer. Gimme my Wii or PS2 any day of the week. It's not so hard on the carpal tunnel syndrome, therefore less hard on the back that way.

I hate to say it, but it seems that others aren't so into it either, at least here at the forum. Sorry I can't be of any real help. At the end of the day, it's like anything else is with Steam. If you really want it, keep plugging away at it and try to keep figuring it out.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 02 May 2013, 18:01

Luckily b1o knows his way around and I bet dubigrasu does too, so there even might be some help on the issue in the future - above the Choo choo train level... :-D

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 28 May 2013, 02:36

So, we never said what now.

Someone please, answer that question, or I'm going to die of curiosity of what's behind that mess that does very little from my view. There's gotta be someone out there who can make me want it.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 28 Sep 2013, 12:03

Just to round up this thread with a conclusion:
I have steam installed (on Manjaro) and I have played the free (Linux) game Team Fortress 2. It has great graphics and lots of action. This thing works! +1

Return to “Gaming”