OpenMandriva is officially opened

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

OpenMandriva is officially opened

Postby viking60 » 31 Jan 2013, 11:49

OpenMandriva is now officially independent and the forum is moved from the old site to the new. The new community playground is a Drupal CMS driven site.
You can do a lot with it and have both articles and blogs and forums integrated. It is a lot more ambitious than the good old phpbb forum.

Mandriva has had a facelift on their pages and do welcome Openmandriva and Mageia as partners. The company has no clearly communicated profile - but mainly they are offering their expertise to the community and to their partners.

At the moment they seem to have one Enterprise server that has not reached the end of service life (it will in 2014).
Regarding the expertise in web presentation - it is not reassuring that their (only)? serviced product is presented partly in English and partly in French.
http://www.mandriva.com/en/products-services/mes/
That is a quality issue. +1 ("Should I trust my server to people that cannot even get a website right" etc..)
But even so, the simple fact that the Mandriva pages are altered represent a "freshnes" that has not been seen in many years, so any movement is better than doing nothing +1
Making errors (and fixing them fast) is a part of it - and sometimes the prize of being pro-active.

And there will be more products "coming soon".

On the OpenMandriva end I thought a happy birthday message was in order so I went over there to make a congratulation post and
OpenMandriva
Error

The website encountered an unexpected error. Please try again later.

Oh well - I'll do it here:
Happy birthday OpenMandriva :cheers :party :dancer

Edit:
It is the preview that gives an error over there the posting is possible :-D
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: OpenMandriva is officially opened

Postby dedanna1029 » 31 Jan 2013, 16:12

IMHO, if Mandriva SA's smart, they'll kick in and go with the Enterprise market, and pull off a Red Hat. I'm thinking they would have a shot at beating Red Hat at their own game, and make a mint doing it. It's not like there's much competition other than Red Hat, for Enterprise for businesses with Linux. You have got to give them credit for one thing, that being that they created - and maintained - one dam good distro, and could again with Enterprise. I bet they'd make a killing, provided they sell it right.

But yeah, Happy Bday OpenMandriva, fare and do well.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 31 Jan 2013, 18:21

They will never beat RedHat at their own game. They seem to be going for the server market though. And I am sure the product has been good all the time. But any business leader needs to know that the product will be supported tomorrow and next year.
Mandrivas problem is that they cannot guarantee that.
It is kind of a catch 22: They do not get the sales because they do not have enough resources, and they cannot get resources without the sale...

But I wish them well too.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 26 Feb 2013, 14:34

Does anybody knows when the new Mandriva version will come out?

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 26 Feb 2013, 15:23

jcl_vanier wrote:Hello,
there will be no more mandriva destop. 2011 was the last. You can upgrade with rosa 2012 or wait for the distro made by openmandriva. Though there is no ETA yet, I hope we will release it before 3 month.

:confused That's tne newest I can find. Movement is slow.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 27 Feb 2013, 14:11

I am not really fond of 2011; was hoping for a better version.

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 27 Feb 2013, 15:22

Image I'm in the same boat. 2011 has a few strange glitches I can't solve. OpenMandriva is taking a long time and Rosa is a bit too new, too whittled down for me to just jump ship. OTOH, there's no telling when OM will be out or what it will be like, so I'll probably put some time into Rosa before then.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 27 Feb 2013, 16:50

ImageYup Looks like we are all in the same boat. OM needs to be better than 2011 - if it is just a copy then :berserk2 :berserkf

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 27 Feb 2013, 22:14

Have you guys tried Mageia? I'm quite liking it. Don't think I'll go back from it. To me, other than a few Fedora things they use (and it's logical for them to), it's just like the good ol' Mandriva (circa 2010<)
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 28 Feb 2013, 14:22

I tried Mageia. A couple of things held me in using it. After running for a long time it crapped out on my Panasonic Toughbook. Have not fixed it yet. On my other system with the Dual Xeons 64 bits the wireless NIC does not work; some about that cannot install NDiswrapper, or module. Installs the Server Kernel. Another issue is the USB TV Tuner does not work either. The only one that seems to work is Mandriva 2010.2 32 bits

2011 crapped out on another system and that Rosa desktop thing just plain sucks.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 01 Mar 2013, 18:52

See the Mageia thread in Distro Talk. We're going OTT here.
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Linux News”