Linux likes IE8? What???!!!

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Linux likes IE8? What???!!!

Postby dedanna1029 » 16 Mar 2010, 03:46

I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

iceycooler9
Viking

Re: Linux likes IE8? What???!!!

Postby iceycooler9 » 16 Mar 2010, 04:18

i been using IE8 for about 4 months, and now just went back to opera (which now i realize how much i realized i missed out, but of course 10.5 just came out, its amazing!!!) this article is just asking for firefox to include things to get sued over. If someone wants to make an add-on of something similar, great. But firefox vanilla was meant to be, well vanilla. Its almost like a pizza, firefox (a lightweight browser) is the dough, and then you put all your toppings on it. IE8 meets web standards persay, but its interface is one of the worst wastes of space, yet so cluttered and annoying. IE's browser engine speed is tolerable, but its errors are not. Even on websites like dictionary.com it struggles. And one of the worst, try loading www.apple.com on IE8, ouch, its not a pretty site, especially when i put opera side to side with it and it loads it beautifully in an instant (and that should be embarrassing for microsoft when their browser has 61% marketshare and opera has 3%)

i'll write up a whole article of my "adventures" of microsoft land (main reason why i used IE for soo long) but i'll let you know, i will never do it again.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 16 Mar 2010, 04:28

Welcome, icycooler9, to our site!

Yeah, I use IE8 at work on Windows 7 Pro. It's all right, but nothing earth-shaking to me compared to Firefox or even Seamonkey for that matter. *shrug*

The thing is, I really like Windows 7 Pro, but it does seem they botch it up totally with IE8.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 16 Mar 2010, 14:44

Let's hope then that the rest of the system looses market shares with the same speed IE does :twisted: MS wants you to be totally dependent on them. They need every competition they can get. It would truly be a nightmare scenario if MS succeeds in crushing Linux - for Windows users!

And Welcome Icycooler!
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 22 Mar 2010, 12:33

And the story here:
Whats wrong with IE8

I rest my case :ugeek:
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 22 Mar 2010, 14:22

I've had the same thing at work a few times (not awfully much), but figured out what the deal was, and also noticed I get the same thing in other browsers.

Let's say you log off of a site, and you don't let it completely load to that site's home page or wherever you're redirected to after logging off. It take a bit to go to the site you're redirected to, so you click off the page. Oops! Wait! You can't do that because, that's when it crashes. :\
No gods, no masters.

samwise_gamgee
Viking

Postby samwise_gamgee » 24 Mar 2010, 00:20

I cannot stand IE. It's a terrible browser, and I feel sorry for the business people who are still stuck using IE6!

IE never works in the sites that claim to 'work best' in IE, and crashes all the time. Their tab system is the worst of the all the browsers.

I work at a web design firm, and we are always having our initial site comps break in IE, yet work in every other browser. Today even, our designer was having a bug with embeded swf videos - <embed> tags are for non-IE, where the <object> tag should be used for IE. IE doesn't recognize the <embed> tag...well, the <object> tag broke the player in IE, and guess what fixed it...taking the <object> tag out and only using the <embed> tag. Now it works happily across all browsers.

I'll be happy the day that IE is no longer a browser.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 24 Mar 2010, 00:31

Yupp And it is dagerous to your system. That is why German and French officials are not allowed to use it any more.
Good decision, and well founded.
German/French warning about IE

And here a small reminder from the article that explains why everybody should use Linux:
"He warned web users to be careful about clicking on links in unsolicited e-mails and advised all web users to upgrade their browser to the latest version, no matter which software they used.

The advice follows revelations that a "targeted and sophisticated" attack on Google exploited the vulnerability
."
Ha Ha Why? We don't have to :!:

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 24 Mar 2010, 00:47

Well, with previews of IE9 already out, I really don't see that happening any time soon. It's like Judas Priest says:

Podcast

Dream on 'cause ol' Billy & Co. aren't gonna give up, unfortunately.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 24 Mar 2010, 01:33

Oh they are seriously on the defensive on this one - and I like it! I belive in competition - Microsoft hates it, if it is not from them selves. I see a future where IE has less than 50 % market share. I think MS does too (You can say a lot about them, but they are not stupid). In Europe they are going to loose fast if they don't stop with their patent stuff.

b1o
IT and IS Guru-Berserk

Postby b1o » 25 Mar 2010, 00:50

it's a pitty that microsoft windows shipps with that horrible browser, IE is slow, takes up a lot of memory, doesn't follow standards and lots more.
microsoft doesn't like to stick to standards made by someone else it seems and on the web that's a problem. For someone working with HTML, css and javascript this is realy anyoing, The page will look the same in opera, firefox etc. but in IE sometimes all you will get is a blank page(or in most cases a small design flaw) because something in your css/HTML/javascript is broken and is not supported there.

so when you get to the place where you consider letting the design flaw stay there and let the IE users get a lesser experience, i would say go for it if it hadn't been for the majority in market on the microsoft browser :P

Smurf Internet Explorer to Gargamel :mrgreen:
CPU: i7 950 3.1 ghz |RAM: 12 GB DDR3 |Graphics: Nvidia Geforce gtx 280 |motherboard: Rampage II Extreme |OS: Arch + windows7

Just remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question, until you ask it

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 25 Mar 2010, 12:33

b1o wrote:Smurf Internet Explorer to Gargamel :mrgreen:

Now that is the most creative cursing I have seen in a while :D

Return to “Win News”