Ubuntu for phones

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Ubuntu for phones

Postby viking60 » 04 Jan 2013, 02:20

ImageUbuntu has just presented the Unity DE for phones. What has been obvious for a long time is now official: Unity is for Smartphones.
It will be interesting to see how well this will make it in the competitive smartphone market.
If it makes it above one % it would be surprising. But there are many fans who would like to do atp-get xbmc on their smartphones so maybe the potential is greater.
The flexibility will probably be better than with Android - I doubt that the functionality will be....
The Gnome project is also clearly going for the Smartphones so they will probably announce something like this later, the competition will be tough.

If it is as a part of their Business project like Landscape Then it could work though - I cannot see how anyone can put Windows 8 to practical business use.This vacuum could be exploited by Canonical.

More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Ubuntu for phones

Postby R_Head » 04 Jan 2013, 14:00

I posted on the Mandriva forum months ago about they should have a spin off for tablets. People thought that I was crazy...

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 04 Jan 2013, 19:51

Saw this a couple days ago on fb; Ubuntu, of course, was bragging about it. I told them that I'd much rather have a meego phone.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 14 Jan 2013, 14:05

This thing might actually be good as a phone:
:A

I am trying to keep an open mind here. So even if Unity is bad on the desktop; it might just work here. Ubuntu are getting some good reviews.

But being good, does not weigh up for being late. The train left the station with iPhone and Android IMHO. I doubt if even Microsoft (and Nokia) will be able to catch up, so it will probably be even harder for Canonical.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 14 Jan 2013, 15:04

Well, I'm prejudiced against Ubuntu but, compared to my experience of the Android and Apple phones used in my small circle of family and friends, I must say :s

Now, to unlock my 4-year-old technology Treo Pro with Qualcomm Dual-Core MSM7501A at 528MHz processor and put that bad boy on there! :berserk2

Return to “Linux News”