Editshare plans to release Lightworks as Open Source!

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Editshare plans to release Lightworks as Open Source!

Postby viking60 » 17 Apr 2010, 00:04

Editshare is the company behind the video editing tool Lightworks. This tool was used for editing films like "Shutter Island" ,"Centurion", "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and "Mission Impossible".
Lightworks has won Emmys and Academy awards.

Much to my joy they have now decided to make this program Open Source. Thats fantastic for everyone who has been missing a video editing tool for Linux.
It will probably not be ready before the 3rd quarter of this year. But if you are interessted you can register here to get updates and information.

Don't we all love good news :D
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Re: Editshare plans to release Lightworks as Open Source!

Postby rolf » 17 Apr 2010, 03:03

It sounds like good news. Not having any video editing experience, I couldn't say I would spend the necessary time to learn how to use it. Once, I wanted to edit a local news film clip with a particularly bumbling reporter to have a part of the Wizard of Oz sound track ("If I only had a brain!"). However, all programs have a learning curve that takes more time the more complex the program is. I am impatient! :evil:

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 17 Apr 2010, 05:50

I'm dying laughing now.
rolf wrote:a part of the Wizard of Oz sound track ("If I only had a brain!")

Can only imagine who would've been in that one. Sarah Palin, GWB,,, some troll in a forum,,,

God, the mental images of the possibilities of that are hysterical (and equally as awesome lol)!

Edit: It's okay. I've been running around all day today, with "DANGER: OPERATING ON BRAIN DRAIN" as my signature at work, and on my I.M. lol.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 11 Jan 2023, 04:01

That's for the frikking phone. We're talking about for Linux.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 07 Aug 2023, 18:45

viking60 wrote:Editshare is the company behind the video editing tool Lightworks. This tool was used for editing films like "Shutter Island" ,"Centurion", "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and "Mission Impossible".
Lightworks has won Emmys and Academy awards.

Much to my joy they have now decided to make this program Open Source. Thats fantastic for everyone who has been missing a video editing tool for Linux.
It will probably not be ready before the 3rd quarter of this year. But if you are interessted you can register here to get updates and information.

Don't we all love good news :D

An update on this. They are charging for it. See here. There is a "try it" version for free, but I doubt there's very many features in that.

Edit: Also, I'm getting dependency errors when I try to install the downloaded file:

Code: Select all

[dedanna1029@fedora Downloads]$ sudo rpm -ivh lightworks_2023.1_r141158.rpm
[sudo] password for dedanna1029:
error: Failed dependencies:
   libCg.so()(64bit) is needed by lightworks-2023.1-1.x86_64
   libCgGL.so()(64bit) is needed by lightworks-2023.1-1.x86_64
   libc++.so.1()(64bit) is needed by lightworks-2023.1-1.x86_64
   libc++abi.so.1()(64bit) is needed by lightworks-2023.1-1.x86_64
   libcxx is needed by lightworks-2023.1-1.x86_64
[dedanna1029@fedora Downloads]$
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Linux News”