Clementine vs. Audacious or Amarok 1.4.10

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Clementine vs. Audacious or Amarok 1.4.10

Postby dedanna1029 » 07 Jul 2011, 16:03

Per discussion here about Audacious, there was a bit of comparing to the latest version of Clementine player. In that, I stated that the sound quality is much better in Audacious, and that Audacious is much lighter (and it is).

There is something else about Clementine Player, and this is very very not good. I had chance to move my music library over to another drive over the last few days. Before I did this, I renamed my playlist for Clementine to another file name, and then manually edited it to point to the new drive (it was just a matter of Search/Replace FreeAgent_Drive with My book), and then removed the old library from Clementine, and put in the new library on the new drive (which was an exact copy of the old library on the old drive. Well, it seems a few things got missed when Clementine imported the library from the new drive. My entire library is in ONE folder, with the exception of two other very small ones (the main one being the "Albums" folder); there is no reason for this (and I'm still finding more things it didn't import). Everything from the arrow down on this so far it's missed:

Those I found last night. I just woke up to find another one, and am sure there will be more to come. If you'll notice, The Tubes is playing off my old playlist that I converted to this drive, and it isn't listed in my collection (it is also under the "Albums" folder):

I think later on I got me a bug or two to file, and some coders to ask some questions to. My library is huge, granted, but is one folder too much to ask to import, without things getting missed? This keeps up, and I won't be using it much longer. Amarok 1.4.10 in Arch Linux imported the entire thing with postgresql after a bit of fenagling to get it to go. Clementine is supposed to be its replacement; it's not doing the job right now. Not to mention I've done full library rescans at the rate of at least once a day, then reloading Clementine, and it still is missing things.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Clementine vs. Audacious or Amarok 1.4.10

Postby viking60 » 07 Jul 2011, 16:57

Behold! The Sound-Berserk has spoken! I have no reason to doubt you :bowlolImage
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 07 Jul 2011, 18:12

As final confirmation, you can see clearly that The Tubes are in my library:

So is Jethro Tull:

Yes, the queen hath spoken.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 07 Jul 2011, 22:18

I think what I'll do before I call "bug", is rename /home/MyUser/.config/Clementine to /home/MyUser/.config/Clementine-old, and find if there's a clementinerc file, rename it too. Then, logout/login, and try starting from scratch, see if it does the same thing. In the end that's what I did with amarok1.4.10. Maybe these proggies just can't handle having the music library folders switched to another drive like that. Oh, and I'm also re-running:

Code: Select all

su
password
chown -R MyUserName: '/media/My Book'

...to be absolutely sure nothing was missed.

So far, they're all saying, "Ownership of <filename> retained as MyUserName:MyUsername", so it's not an ownership issue.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 07 Jul 2011, 23:55

dedanna1029 wrote:I think what I'll do before I call "bug", is rename /home/MyUser/.config/Clementine to /home/MyUser/.config/Clementine-old, and find if there's a clementinerc file, rename it too. Then, logout/login, and try starting from scratch, see if it does the same thing.

Yup, that got it.

So, there is something about switching drives in the music library that it doesn't like, and considering I had the same issue with Amarok1.4.10 on Arch, and had to rename it and amarokrc in order for it to fly (twice), I guess this isn't awfully surprising.

The thing is though that we need to figure out, is why. Why can't one just change the folders in Preferences of these proggies, have it rescan the library, and expect it to find it?
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 30 Jul 2012, 02:26

After this here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1060&p=13444#p13444, and the pirated crap I'm sure you're pushing doing it, you are no longer being responded to by me. In fact, I'm blocking you NOW. Shame on anyone for allowing you to get away with it.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 30 Jul 2012, 10:46

I will make an exception here. The reason our Chinese friend was not banned and the posts removed were
1. That he actually did post in areas that were remotely rellevant.
2. That you responded to his posts
His responses were out of context.
Now I have removed him and your answers look rather out of context........
But I'll forgive you - since it all is an expression of your contempt for spammers :greetings
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 11 Oct 2012, 22:25

I have backed off from Clementine on the netbook, and am awaiting another Amarok 1.4.10 emulator. Clementine has a lot of issues right now, the main thing being to crash a lot, because it's so resource-intensive. It's having issues with album art, and all kinds of other things as well.

I hope something comes along that will do the job that Amarok 1.4.10 did. It's a real bummer being without a decent player. I've tried and tried (and still do) with each version of Amarok 2 that comes out, and it still doesn't cut the mustard, unfortunately.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 13 Mar 2013, 15:46

No gods, no masters.

Return to “Audio/video”