Searching: We got our own Bang!

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Searching: We got our own Bang!

Postby viking60 » 02 Jul 2016, 12:24

As you know I have integrated the Google search on this board ("Advanced search" on the upper right).
If you use it Google will treat your privacy in their usual way.

DuckDuckGO (https://duckduckgo.com) makes it a big point NOT to track you - and we find that to be a good thing +1

They have this thing called !Bangs.

It works like this:

Set a :!: in front of the site and the search word. That will search the site you have but also present results from other sites.

So you could search this site like this:

Code: Select all

!bjoernvold.com/forum private browsing
..but that is a bit long so I have created a shorter Bang:

!bjoernvold private browsing

So if you need to search this site without Google peeping through your keyhole - simply use duckduckgo as your search engine.

You need the occasional Google search you say? Well yes they produce good results so there is a Bang for that too:

!g

If you use this in your ddg then the Google results will show up - this function will not be as good for your privacy but you will get the Google results.

!g bjoernvold+private browsing

Will give you the Google results.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Searching: We got our own Bang!

Postby dedanna1029 » 04 Jul 2016, 01:04

I took this at our library here. I also, after many years of experience, think it's true:

I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Searching: We got our own Bang!

Postby viking60 » 04 Jul 2016, 10:09

Well the beauty of it is that you can have the Google results even with duckduckgo by simply setting !g in front of the search.

That way you can search normally without being spied upon and when you need the google results - you can have them too.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Board info”