Forum+kindle?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Forum+kindle?

Postby dedanna1029 » 08 Oct 2013, 07:48

Know of any reason why I'd keep getting logged out of the forum, just by hitting Submit, or go to edit a post? It seems like I'm getting logged out here approximately every 30 seconds overall. Curious this, when I don't get logged out of anywhere else - this is strange. Am on a kindle fire periodically - it's sometimes all I've got, unfortunately. Hoping I can change that situation tomorrow.

Thanks!
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Forum+kindle?

Postby R_Head » 08 Oct 2013, 12:58

If you have a change a Samsung Galaxy Tab is a great device. Once modded with CyanogenMOD is kick ass. My Galaxy SIII with that ROM rocks.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 08 Oct 2013, 14:42

dedanna1029 wrote:Know of any reason why I'd keep getting logged out of the forum, just by hitting Submit, or go to edit a post? It seems like I'm getting logged out here approximately every 30 seconds overall. Curious this, when I don't get logged out of anywhere else - this is strange. Am on a kindle fire periodically - it's sometimes all I've got, unfortunately. Hoping I can change that situation tomorrow.

Thanks!

This happens when your IP changes a lot:
phpBB uses sessions to keep track of users as they browse the board. These sessions use a combination of a unique session id, the users IP and if specified the users browser and/or the users x-forwarded-for header to identify each user. We make use of all of this as an extra safe-guard to help prevent sessions being hijacked (by discovering the unique session id).

Unfortunately this only works when the users IP is constant as they browse the board. For most users this will be the case. However certain providers route their users via a cluster of proxys. In some cases, particularly the AOL browser, this results in different IPs being forwarded as the user moves between pages. We take account of this by not checking the entire IP by default but only the first "three quads" (A.B.C). Again in most cases this will be fine. However again AOL uses IPs which can vary so much that checking only the first two quads results in a fairly static IP being available for session validation.

So I have lowered the level of checking now - but it is less secure and could result in session hijacking - so I do not know if we'll keep it.
You should be able to stay in there longer now though.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 09 Oct 2013, 05:10

Yeah I am but AFAIK, it doesn't change on the kindle? Maybe you could keep track of the IPs I log in with for a bit to confirm please? Thanks.

No money for new device, P., sorry. It's this or nothing for now.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 09 Oct 2013, 12:40

Understand K... Check Flea Bay. They might have a good deal when you get some spare change as a figure of speech :D

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 10 Oct 2013, 18:14

No. What I need to do is be able to set up one of the computers I have or wait (which is what I'm doing - no room here yet to set up desktop PC). For the netbook RAM (this would be the ideal option, but also the slowest one).

After that, I'll have no more use for any other device on the inet. Oh, and thanks, viking.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 17 Oct 2013, 16:26

Just for info, it's doing this again. It's OK, as you did state this might have to revert for security. This is merely an informational post. Thanks.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 23 Oct 2013, 18:35

Dammit! I can't even stay logged in for 10 seconds long enough to post now! Literally! *frustrated

Edit: make that five seconds at the most. All I have to do is go to another page here at the forum, and that's it.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 23 Oct 2013, 21:48

I have changed the cookie settings lemme know if it helps...
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 26 Oct 2013, 23:27

It's tolerable. At least until late last night when I was finishing up here, it started up again at the very last. Giving it another go today. I guess I'll just have to make extremely brief posts. I can accept that.

Edit: yeah, it's better today. It could be that it's intermittent because I need to clear cache and cookies. There's a bit of a problem with that, it not being my kindle, just one I have use of. So, I'll go for it the way it is. Thank you.
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Board info”