Welcome cliffbytheford57!

Welcome to this forum where people with common interests exchange views , news , and experiences. This is a fine place to introduce yourself!

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Welcome cliffbytheford57!

Postby dedanna1029 » 28 Dec 2010, 02:03

Welcome to cliffbytheford57, who's been brought to the good side of Linux purely by the magic of Facebook, LOL. :mrgreen:

Enjoy your stay here, dude! If you need anything at all, just holler. Be mindful of the sections of the forum, and where to post what, that's all we ask for now. Kick back, and tell us some about yourself - I know you have an IT background.

Take care, and have fun!

Ded. (and this rum is truly making me dead, wow lol)
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Welcome cliffbytheford57!

Postby viking60 » 28 Dec 2010, 16:56

Welcome cliffbytheford57 :greetings Can't get enough IT people in here!
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

cliffbytheford57

Postby cliffbytheford57 » 28 Dec 2010, 17:19

Hello, everyone.

I was asked to say a thing of two about my background. Please take into account that I am fighting a nasty head-cold right now. If the post seems a bit incoherent, chalk it off to that.

I started programing in 1976, or there abouts, when I took a class in Computer Programing in High School (Yes, I am an ol' man). Back then we were using Fortran 4 fed into the mainframe via IBM punch cards. Sometime in the 1980s, I worked for ADP and expanded my exposure in IT. It wasn't much to brag about, but I was allowed to work on line printers, tape drives, disk packs. Most of that type of equipment doesn't exist today. In 1986, I bought my first computer for $20.00 used. It was a TRS 80 CoCoII. Learned to program that in Color Basic one line at a time (those rudimentary programing books were far better than most technical manuals I have seen over the years; most books today are way over-written). To cut to the chase ... I went to DeVry in Industry, Ca. Graduated in 1990 with a B.S. in Telecommunications Management. I was in IT from 1994 to 2000, riding the second wave as networking and the Internet were brought to the desktop. My experience is mostly Novell 3.X and 4.X and Wintel on the desktop. Now, I am trying to dust off my knowledge-base and learn Linux in hopes of finding sustainable employment.

More later ....

gnuuser
Berserk

Postby gnuuser » 31 Dec 2010, 00:25

welcome :mrgreen:
there is no such thing as old my friend only well seasoned :lol:
(speaking from one seasoned bird to another) :coffee_smile:
tech knowledge is always valuable and the more we have the better we are!
linux is a wonderful world we have migrated to
I dont miss windows at all :C
registered Linux user number 505431
Amateur radio call sign KC3TEC
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :
the aspiration of the indigent, the expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

Im so old even dirt was my apprentice!

Return to “Welcome”