Hello Again

Welcome to this forum where people with common interests exchange views , news , and experiences. This is a fine place to introduce yourself!

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Panther96

Hello Again

Postby Panther96 » 27 Feb 2014, 05:48

Hey all and good day! It's been a while since I've seen some of your names. I don't know if any of you remember me as this username or iceycooler9 from the mandriva forums (actually, I have an account iceycooler9 here too but I forgot my password and don't have that email I assigned as recovery anymore). I hope that I'm still welcome to hang around again, I would love to get to have amazing discussions with you people once again :)

:arrow: Keep being awesome all

Blackcrack

Re: Hello Again

Postby Blackcrack » 27 Feb 2014, 08:12

Hi,

heyyy be welcome :)
why not Icecooler only without an number ? :-D if it's possible :whistle:
hey, by side, did you have testet the actual Alfa of openmandriva, :gimme
download it, install in an virtualbox ,login as root and let run "urpmi --auto --auto-update"
(over 1900 packets, but behind run the system like an beta..)

best regards
Blacky

Panther96

Postby Panther96 » 27 Feb 2014, 08:52

Hey and ya I totally could of, just didn't think of it at the time :lol:

I have not even tried Openmandriva, as I've been absent from the Linux/open-source movement for a while now, with the exception of Firefox a few dabs with Ubuntu. Matter of fact, I tried Ubuntu 13.10 two weeks ago, but I ultimately left within days as between the Unity DE and little technical problems, I was ready to our pull my hair out on both sides. Anyways, the developing NSA scandal has gotten me interested in protecting my freedom to privacy, and so my retour to linux/free software land is alive. I finally was able to get a Mageia (4) release to install my system for the first time ever as of today, so I hope all goes well; mandriva nostalgia has hit me already ;)

I'll definately give Openmandriva Alpha a try however Blacky, I'll just need to do so when I have time for experimentation.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 27 Feb 2014, 09:54

Welcome back :-D :greetings

Mageia is a good and will be closest to the good old Mandriva. Openmandriva is good too. Ubuntu is supposed to be good too but I never liked Unity (switching between work spaces was a nightmare).

The new kid on the block is Manjaro - it is a raising star and it is Arch based. Arch is scary but Manjaro is still nice and stable.

And there are lots of other good alternatives for every need - as always.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Panther96

Postby Panther96 » 01 Mar 2014, 02:40

Thanks for the warm welcome back Viking :)

Unfortunately Mageia is not working out for me. I don't know how such talented developers could put out such an unstable release; its essentially Mandriva 2010.3 repackaged with the stability of Windows ME! Installation itself required an X org hard restart, suspension/restart are not working properly, issues with the system locale with the terminal, KDE either freezes/hangs or now today I only get a black screen with a ton of error messages upon logging in when I hardly did anything the previous session other than attempt to install a printer driver from a Epson's website since Mageia doesn't have the package for it, and the headphone jack is not functioning. It's really a shame, because I REALLY did want it to work, I just don't have the time for Linux-hobby.

Downloading Manjaro now as you suggested. Hopefully this one turns out like a charm.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 01 Mar 2014, 11:01

Good choice!
If you have any trouble - just let me know, We'll fix it. +1
(remember:there are no stupid questions - only stupid answers)
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 01 Mar 2014, 18:29

by the way,
[OM Cooker] 2014.0 beta ISOs will become Alpha2 release...

so the Alfa2 :)

best regards
Blacky

Panther96

Postby Panther96 » 02 Mar 2014, 10:57

viking60 wrote:Good choice!
If you have any trouble - just let me know, We'll fix it. +1
(remember:there are no stupid questions - only stupid answers)

Alright I gotta say...this distro seriously blows me away. Honestly superb! Thanks for the reference, quite a treat; don't think I'll be able to use anything else now :mrgreen:

With Manjaro installation goes smooth, KDE just sings (I've never witnessed such a fast and stable KDE), everything seems to work moreorless out of the box, or if it doesn´t, even problem is basically guranteed an easy solution. The Distro is extremely well documentated, the community is both helpful and chilax (the IRC live chat is preloaded on the system, and since 3-4 experts seem to always be on, no issue goes left unaddressed). I was even able to fix such issues that seem to be meta-linux for me, such as optimus and non-functional headphone jack. Within the first night I got everything do so fast I was even able to play Europa Univeralis IV on steam before I headed to bed, while listening to my spotify playlist. Did I mention pacman is god? The fact that I havent faced a SINGLE depedency/ orphan or missing package yada yada is ¨impressionnante¨ as the French would say.

Now that I have a linux distro I actually enjoy using for the privacy, freedom, AND convenience. No longer face that teeter-totter between Linux/Windows. Overall : I'm here to stay.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 02 Mar 2014, 11:43

Panther96 wrote:Did I mention pacman is god?

No you didn't so I'll say it; Pacman is the best package manger out there. :-D
c'est merveilleux.
Good job there :s
Here is a "translation" for Pacman for those used to urpm:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2638

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 17 Mar 2014, 01:56

Hey, kiddo! Great to see you at it and alive! Great to see you with Manjaro, although I prefer Arch. Anything else just bores me lol. Welcome, and have fun!
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Panther96

Postby Panther96 » 17 Mar 2014, 05:07

Hey thanks and will say the same :D

Manjaro is still going strong on my system, though I think I'm going to help the Openmandriva team get their wiki page together once the 2014 release comes around. It really needs some help.
Arch would be nice if I didn't think I would sink immediately +1

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 17 Mar 2014, 09:52

Hi,

hihi :)
:) jau, i hope you have now the Mailinglists *g*
and i have correcting my member in wiki.. the bas..... gnh.. Robert Xu has restore my own deletet personal file
hey sorry, if i remove my f.. data and Robert the 18 years old kiddy from the hightshool restore it.. hey, this is not okey..

best regards
Blacky

Return to “Welcome”