Multiple desktops on Windows

Wndows tips and tricks

Moderator: jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Multiple desktops on Windows

Postby viking60 » 08 May 2015, 12:52

I really like the multiple desktops on Linux and I dto miss them in Windows. Windows 10 will have them but you can get them for the other windows versions too.
It is a part of the Sysinternals suite that I have often referred to here and it is called Desktops.

Simply download it unpack it and place it in C:\Windows
Download here
Then you can open a cmd window and type desktops
And there you have them.

It does not have the ability to drag windows from one desktop to another etc but you will have 4 desktops to work on.

This works from Windows XP to Windows 7.

More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Re: Multiple desktops on Windows

Postby Snorkasaurus » 08 May 2015, 13:12

viking60 wrote:It does not have the ability to drag windows from one desktop to another etc but you will have 4 desktops to work on.

Apparently VirtuaWin gives you up to 9 desktops, is less than half a meg, and has a portable version.
S.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Multiple desktops on Windows

Postby viking60 » 08 May 2015, 13:39

This thing is 61 KB in download zip format and 116 KB unpacked +1
And it works just fine (I think you can specify more than 4 here too - but I can't remember).

There is really no reason to not download the entire Sysinternal suite and unpack it all to C:\Windows if you are a tech or tech minded. Everybody else aka the average Windows user can forget it.

These tools are pretty powerful.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Windows”