Setting up thin clients -system

Tips and Tricks for Networking

Moderator: jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Setting up thin clients -system

Postby viking60 » 22 Sep 2012, 18:01

ImageWell we know that we can simply use X for this but I was looking for something fast where a big box holds all the software and the clients are...thin.
And ofcourse it has to be fast.
Yes (thightVNC) is well known and I have used it with windows in the past and it was way to slow for me back then. I bet it has become a lot better but as they say in Valhalla: Burned children smell like smoke (or was it that they avoid the fire? well something like that...) so I decided to try X2go
I set up the server in no-time - mostly by simply installing it - if you already have SSHD runing. Piece of Cake so now I only had to install and set up the client on my other Arch box.
And there the trouble began and my connection was constantly refused by the server. I did manage to connect to it from Ubuntu in mt VB and there it worked just fine so it does work kind of but I decided to go for another blistering fast technology:

Enter FreeNX
NX is an exciting new technology for remote display. It provides near local speed application responsiveness over high latency, low bandwidth links. The core libraries for NX are provided by NoMachine under the GPL. FreeNX is a GPL implementation of the NX Server and NX Client Components

and does it work?
Oh yes ! so read on....
Not surprisingly the system has two components; the Server and the Client
So it is a good idea to start with the server installation (since the client will be useless without it) and that again is a walk in the park if you already have set up the sshd daemon.
You probably have all the other stuff that is nice to have already like xterm and xdialog if not, it will not be as nice so you should install them.

Security is also a vital, and often bothersome, issue when setting up these things but FreeNX is taking care of that for you by simply generating a key for you.
This will not affect the key you already are using for SSH, it will simply be the encryption key for NX.
(You can use your own keys but I will keep things simple here and not go into that. There really is no need.)
You will find the key that was generated for you during install in /var/lib/nxserver/home/nx/.ssh/client.id_dsa.key or something like it. For now we just remember the location and walk over to the client.
Here we need to install opennx or nxclient or why not both? I installed both of them anyway.
Then I started nxclient and made a profile to start with KDE (I have both KDE and Gnome on the server) and copied the key from the server into the button that said "key" :-D under configuration - real easy.

And that worked just fine! And yes it was fast and oh boy all you need to make it portable is to put it on a live-distro on an USB pen. There even is a Live portable apps windows version

I liked the way I could sit on a client that was running KDE and start a session on the server in Gnome and it was fast I could surf the internet open LibreOffice writer and work without problems. Some people will even want to bring up Windows in the client.

This setup did not affect my traditional SSH setup where I can log in via my superdupersafe setup as before.
I kind of like that FreeNX has a different setup that works on its own.
FreeNX is availabe in most distros but you might have to fetch the clients from elsewhere.

If you wonder about the references to NoMachine - that is not an error; it is a reference to http://nomachine.com

There are numerous ways to use this stuff: :A
ImageImage

It would be quite cheap to use the Raspberry Pi as client here don't you agree?

All looking very smart and sophisticated - but it is quite easy. :dance:

PS I got X2go to work too - it was just a little picky regarding names so I had to use IP....
x2go uses the same libraries as nx so they are related. It looks like x2go is being more developed by the community so that is probably the best long term solution.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Setting up thin clients -system

Postby viking60 » 23 Sep 2012, 11:22

I continued to use x2go (it also uses the NX technology so it works pretty much in the same way). and loged in to the same box from several other Laps one running E16 and one running Gnome while I was sitting on the server working in KDE.
KDE as a client is no good idea since plasma always crashes Gnome and E16 work just fine.
It is a common misunderstanding that these programs are used to remote control your box; and yes - you can do that too - but it is way more effective to simply work against the server in one of the DE' s installed in the server; running several parallel sessions.

I do not have E16 or Gnome installed at the clients that now are beautifully running them.
The x2go startup client with the e16 session defined.
x2goclient panel while session is running

E16 on the remote server nicely emulated on my thin client
More E16

The background was boring so I altered it
Got tired of E16 so I made me a Gnome session

This is so fast and snappy that I see no problem in having a LAN with thin clients with this technology.
Sound works, video works it is almost like having it installed.
x2goclient and x2goserver are in most repos on most distros Mageia has them - I cannot find them in Mandriva but there are RPM packages out there that actually were made for Mandriva 2010 Ironically the Fedora guys were encouraged to use that one.

If you cant find it; Freenx as a server and nxclient or opennx will do the same job.
Oops almost forgot :Doh: here is something for our many dedicated Windows users; ArchLinux with DE E16 in Windows7 with x2goclient
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Networking”