Mandriva SA bankrupt again

Well it is a family: Mandriva Mageia ROSA Unity PCLOS. Brothers and sisters living together in perfect harmony - so it deserved som space of its own.

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

jkerr82508
Guru-Berserk

Mandriva SA bankrupt again

Postby jkerr82508 » 20 May 2015, 18:39

There are reports on IRC that Mandriva SA is bankrupt again. This time, there seems to to be no prospect of recovery. Employees have been informed. An official announcement is expected soon.

Jim

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Mandriva SA bankrupt again

Postby R_Head » 20 May 2015, 23:11

Feel sorry for them. Used to be the #1 distribution in Distro Watch for years and turned to this because of bonehead management.

Bring Gael Duval back +1

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 21 May 2015, 04:52

Hi,

first kicking out and rant about him , then want it back.. how screwed up it is this ? :coffee_smile: *lol*
na, na... Mandriva SA has done the first best thing, giving the Distribution in Community hands ..
:A :lolup
the bad on it.. to the wrong persons *lol*

how many frace Persons be on Open Mandriva ? commooonn, tell it me .. -> 2 !
What i want say therewith.. humm.. think about.. and we have now from 2012 up to now 2015 still only two ..

or be i am maybe wrong ? .. i dont know, i go thinking about .. :whistle:

ehh.. holy, an mongrel ! Something lil' waquik waquik.. and when you stand on it, it make's only quiikbbppffhh..
.. no, not an Penguin .. ! a Penguin it's bigger, have more content .. more greatness/size .. you know ..

And yes, Gael should come back and lead the Distro, like in Old day's,
but never into an Factory and never directly dependent on commerz !

Mandrake was under the Big Five ! And it can be also again ..
(if we have an well Chairman! and it is in this direction all the same if it is an English or an Polish one,
all it's better as this one at moment.(date) And it is in this direction of an "Frace" Distribution it's all the shit same,
in any case could it be every better as this one ! )

best regards
Blacky
:tux5:

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 21 May 2015, 16:32

This is sad. Mandriva had the right stuff and should have been a success.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

AleQ

Postby AleQ » 25 May 2015, 07:48

Now it's time to determine what is the strategy to be followed by Mandriva SA

possibilities:

- Disappear as a company.
- Merger with another company.
- Sell the company to another company.

A 180 is coming

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 25 May 2015, 12:49

I don't think there is much to sell. :(
So disappearing as a company might be realistic. The community forks will live on I guess. I am not sure how much help they have gotten from the company :confused

The Quality of Mandriva distros is mostly managed by Mageia these days.

The problem is that nobody dares to use Mandriva distros for "production use". The distros have a lot of benefits but given the history it is impossible to know if there will be a distro tomorrow.

At least that is my feeling. I would not hesitate to use Manjaro even if it is a young distro though. It is something about the history that destroyed Mandriva distros some years ago.

Sure; there have been "bounce backs" - Mandriva is famous for it. Mandriva got a little bit weaker every time though.

Mandriva might bounce back yet again - but hardly stronger than before.

I don't like it - I am only learning from history here....
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 25 May 2015, 23:06

It looks like the Openmandriva pages are down too.
At least this is not working here right now:
:A
https://www.openmandriva.org/

Naturally all Mandriva people are more than welcome here - if there is something to say. +1

jkerr82508
Guru-Berserk

Postby jkerr82508 » 25 May 2015, 23:17

It must have been a very short outage. It's fine for me now, and was OK earlier today.

Jim

jkerr82508
Guru-Berserk

Postby jkerr82508 » 26 May 2015, 08:49

However, it seems that the plug has been pulled on Mandriva SA web sites.
http://www.mandriva.com/
is now "unavailable".

Jim

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 26 May 2015, 08:57

jkerr82508 wrote:It must have been a very short outage. It's fine for me now, and was OK earlier today.

Jim

Hmm this is strange. In Chromium the site is unavailable

While it does show in Firefox and Vivaldi that uses the Google engine :confused
(It might be one of my privacy blocking Apps -Privacy Badger or Adblock -checking....)
Edit:
This is getting stranger; when I activate the hide my ass app in Chromium the page turns up as if I was actively blocked on the OpenMandriva site.

This is hardly the case since the page does show up in other browsers.

I am begining to loose faith in Chrome/Chromium here....

And yes Mandriva.com is gone in both.

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 26 May 2015, 17:02

Hi,

viking60 , OpenMandriva have nothing to do with MandrivaSA in Paris, OpenMandriva it is only a .. ( still )
France Distribution, but it is no more depended to MandrivaSA the Factory !
This was whole purpose for giving back to the Community ! And open Mandriva have Nothing to do with the Mandriva.com !

OpenMandriva it is autarg !
and belongs the community ..

OpenMandriva it is now running 2-3 Years .. since 2012 up to now
and the Alfa of 2015 it's comes out in the next time ..

so, Mandriva.com(MandrivaSA) // it is something other as \\ OpenMandriva Association and OMLinux The Distribution (with the Linuxcommunity) !

I hope this has clarified it now :)

best regards
Blacky

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 27 May 2015, 11:15

The Mandrake Ghost's lives ;)

OpenMandriva wrote:Image
https://blog.openmandriva.org/2015/05/t ... -mandrake/

Tribute to Mandrake

General

by Kate Lebedeff
Hi there
Good news everyone, a new version of OpenMandriva is ready to see the world in a few days, 2014.2 will soon be making it’s way to you. Listen out for details, features – and torrents!
OpenMandriva‘s history is well known. It was born at the tail of 2012 with the help of the community and Mandriva SA to continue the work on the distribution after Mandriva SA could not continue that.
We thank Mandriva SA for their support at the start and wish the remaining Mandriva employees well for the future.
The OpenMandriva Association was created to unite the distribution formally known as Mandriva (aka Mandrake); to bring it back to it’s roots through listening to peoples needs and getting closer to it’s users and developers. Since then we have been independent (though we always welcome cooperative effort). We are glad to say that we continue to do this and will be bringing you a new release of OpenMandriva Lx 3 (2015) in the near future that will include new features and an update of many of the core components.
Mandrake was the first distribution to make a free operating system available which could be installed and configured by anyone who could use a keyboard and a mouse. When many of us first came to the “linux” world, there were two types of distro, the ones that gave you headaches as soon as you put the CD in the slot, and then there was Mandrake. The vision of it’s founder Gaël Duval created an operating system which undoubtedly allowed many, many people access to modern technology and in doing so added greatly to the strength of the free software community.
We do and will do our very best to continue to hold and carry their crown – for you.
Always here for you
OpenMandriva

And Gaël wrote also some :

Gaël Duval wrote:Image

http://www.indidea.org/gael/blog/?p=546

Mandrake, Mandriva, Mageia, OpenMandriva… FOSS is FOSS!
Posted on May 27, 2015 by Gaël Duval
Image Yesterday we learned that Mandriva, the company was shutting down and I saw a lot of sad comments on Twitter. Then I realized that few of those guys seemd to be aware that actually, Mandriva the company, wasn’t doing a Linux distribution anymore for a few years. The Mandriva Linux distribution is now OpenMandriva (and even eventually forked as PCLinuxOS and Mageia).
As someone twitted it, “FOSS is FOSS”. True! that’s the power of FOSS that projects keep alive, and that’s the reason why I think that creating Mandrake Linux 17 years ago was not totally losing my time :)
And now, we don’t have to be sad, we have to focus on today’s IT concerns which, in my opinion, are privacy and the Google monopoly.

best regards
Blacky

Return to “The Mandriva family”