Has Openmandriva imploded?

Well it is a family: Mandriva Mageia ROSA Unity PCLOS. Brothers and sisters living together in perfect harmony - so it deserved som space of its own.

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Has Openmandriva imploded?

Postby viking60 » 03 Feb 2015, 22:33

I noticed on Distrowatch that Mandriva - the commercial distro is above Openmandriva.
That is highly unusual. If we take Suse and OpenSuse then there is a huge gap between them with OpenSuse on top (Not even sure SUSE is on the list) - same thing with Centos and Redhat.
But here we are with Mandriva at 73rd place and OpenMandriva at 75th place. That is about 20 places behind ROSA too.

Mageia is the unquestionable flagship in the Mandriva Family these days with a 6th place on the DW list. They keep pumping out a decent stable distro that does the job.
PCLOS is the clear no.2

Distrowatch does not reflect everything but it is an indicator of the popularity of a distro.

It seems like the capacity to maintain the OMA distro is somewhat lacking. The italian MiB has been supportive all the way and there is a fundraising site where some dineros have been collected.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/free ... ll#pledges
But it will not enable OMA to found an European Silicon Valley.

They do market that they are an European distro without backdoors - which is a truly good thing these (PRISM) days . but then again OpenMandriva is based on a Russian distro - I dunno if that qualifies as more trustworthy than US distros :snooty:
And it is open source...

But still: the European origin is a positive thing since they are doing less spying than the Americans and OMA tries to point that out.

So maybe OMA has just found a (lower) level. There are no fights and everything is calm....too calm?

The once so mighty Mandriva family is getting smaler :( Many people find that sad, since many current Linux users have been using Mandriva and liked it!

..That includes me... and I am currently using Manjaro (also European :T ) Yeah that is how unfaithful I am...

I dont think I would have ever left if Mandriva had powered on like Suse Redhat or Ubuntu. I am not sure but I don't think so.

Now I am firmly in the Arch family and it will take a lot to get me away from that.

It is like exchanging my 50 year old partner with two 25 year olds.... :-D
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Blackcrack

Re: Has Openmandriva imploded?

Postby Blackcrack » 04 Feb 2015, 08:19

humm... :C letz view how developed it self ... i am looking forward..
i this not at last the adjusting of the "Chairman", kick them out and change
them out with an Programmer and all want goes to the best ..

i bet !!

and my biggest wish, Gael as Chairman !
but please, no more commercialize !

best regards
Blacky

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 04 Feb 2015, 12:52

The IRC is pretty active so there is still life.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 04 Feb 2015, 20:55

I like Mandrake/Mandriva and still use it on a laptop. Mageia was the closest thing to that. Rosa to me was an awful change. Could not see myself upgrading to the last Mandriva.

The so easy to use Mandrake rubbed on other Distros, the MCC is a gem :)

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 05 Feb 2015, 09:00

indeed it's an gem !
but if it's not correct maintenance , it's like all Flowers ..

best regards
Blacky

AleQ

Postby AleQ » 18 Feb 2015, 21:02

OpenMandriva have a serious problem and the lack of community and community disorganization is created, after which Mandriva went into crisis.
The community is disarmed (Mageia, ROSA, OpenMandriva, other distros)
For a while now I've been trying to activate the community and to persuade some people to re-OpenMandriva organizen community.

Today the biggest problem OpenMandriva is the lack of organization in their community.

Later I go into deeper details, but I'm working for OpenMandriva Lx 3 (2015) have a greater impact than Lx OpenMandriva 2014.0

So far I have gotten the official facebook OpenMandriva change the format of a company to a social facebook facebook. and this has been positive. has noticed more interactivity of users with OpenMandriva.

But even need to re-organize forums, official and unofficial.

AleQ

Postby AleQ » 18 Feb 2015, 21:05

From now on I self proclaimed as the new president of the organization of communities OpenMandriva Lx

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 18 Feb 2015, 23:11

Congratulations! :-D

The Facebook approach might generate some interest - you will not find me there on account of privacy principles though.
I have seen some of your views regarding the forum (and I agree).

Naturally all OMA users are welcome to use this section here as much as they like too. (If that should take off you could be moderator of the Mandriva section)

It is phpbb with chat and all the functions that we are used to from the good old days + some nice extensions.

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 19 Feb 2015, 11:21

humm...
AleQ wrote:Today the biggest problem OpenMandriva is the lack of organization in their community.

yes, also, but it should also understand the Programmers and should give an Really sharph direction, who want all find good , you know, an real Direction, like Beat and be better as Ubuntu, or Redhat/Fedora and Suse.. who which provides something own, an own general Character .
The best of the best.. we have RPM, from Redhat, we have an Drakinstaller (where it is at moment not used) and an Really well Configuration's Centre and we have us own Character like SuSe it have and we can use all around and be really independent between the WM's.. you can practical install your system with your loved WM, because in the repository it is all possible, it's just like an Magic Pot .. an Cooker .. an Magic Cooker where you can install youre System with youre Window Manager.. and there it is all possible !
And in Your Windowmanager can you by means of drakconf can you configuring in independent and on prompt your System and as server .

from the Mailinglist :

we were speaking of devs in council - I mentioned them

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 18Feb, 2015, at 7:51 PM, symbianflo wrote:

> I wrote already ,ACTIVE, try to go statistics on abf.... because ABF have this feature too...
> so as I've said bero don't count, he's like kernel or root partition, I gave you jcl, as for others ...
> funny that you went there.
> last 60 days activity Pulfer, Silakov no commits , fedya is doing his arm so for me
> and for all PC users don't exist, you ware saying miss Kate?
> PS:
> I would trick Nicco into it, if I ware you ( for example..)
>
> Il 18/02/2015 19:32, Kate Lebedeff ha scritto:
>> https://wiki.openmandriva.org/en/Member ... bers_lists
>>
>> Fedya, Bero, Pulfer, Silakov
>>
>> But as said, elections are approaching and it will be up to community to elect more if people wish
>>
>>
>> On 18Feb, 2015, at 7:05 PM, symbianflo wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> Il 18/02/2015 17:18, Kate Lebedeff ha scritto:
>>>> As for developers in council - there are quite many already, have a look at the list
>>> I had that look miss Kate, sorry my bad, I meant active , unity and rosa don't count any more
>>> so AFIC this list so much not actual ....
>>> bero don't count, he is like the / partition ...
>>> jcl ok , and ??
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> OM-Cooker mailing list
>>> OM-Cooker@ml.openmandriva.org
>>> http://ml.openmandriva.org/listinfo.cgi ... ndriva.org
>>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and p.s. Rafael and Jean Claude be Frends and both lives in Paris .. you know ..

can you read also over
http://rss.gmane.org/gmane.linux.openma ... oker.devel

as rssfeed ... whant be well if we become Members who respect drakconf and the Drakinstaller end helps to build up
OMandriva to grow up like in the past times !
but, this can be only if they be an Member, so want it be really well if we become fresh members and helping hands ..
because, we mus become an President who can names it self an really well President, because he can Programming and
understand to hold the peace in to the Members rank and.. stay fully behind the Mandrake-art of Linux
with Drakconf and Drakinstaller !

i please Oldes of the ExMandrake Members, please come back and help to build up Mandrake again like it was !
Maybe read this Gael also, if yes, this is the times who be possible for Comes back, please ..
I whant have an Mandrake like in the Old times an Well running Linuxdistro with an really
well Installer and Configuring-Centre in RPM-Format !
And never commercial, this was the biggest fail what's does in the past !
Hold the Distribution open and hones !

This should be a public appeal/call as a fan of Mandrake!
Also in direction of PCLinuxOS and

best regards
Blacky

commooon, i want back my Magic Penguin ! :tux5:

AleQ

Postby AleQ » 19 Feb 2015, 12:36

@Blaky : I honestly do not understand too.
I would like you to be a little more clear and direct, is that I use a translator to read messages
Gael Duval, is very busy with his "Ulteo" project.

@viking: I am very grateful for his proposal, but I'm in charge of a forum, it would be irresponsible of me to accept and not able to devote enough time.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I am working for OpenMandiva Lx3 have a good impact upon its release. for now you have to wait a few months until that happens.

Regarding OpenMandriva in distrowatch: a few days ago put me in touch with some members of OM to ask them to correct error distrowatch in which mentioned that OpenMandriva is based on ROSA and this had generated some criticism from some users Linux.
OpenMandriva as and when releasing the previous versions of OM LX 3 will be improved their position in distrowatch. :)

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 19 Feb 2015, 19:23

AleQ wrote:@Blaky :
Gael Duval, is very busy with his "Ulteo" project.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I am working for OpenMandiva Lx3 have a good impact upon its release. for now you have to wait a few months until that happens.

Regarding OpenMandriva in distrowatch: a few days ago put me in touch with some members of OM to ask them to correct error distrowatch in which mentioned that OpenMandriva is based on ROSA and this had generated some criticism from some users Linux.
OpenMandriva as and when releasing the previous versions of OM LX 3 will be improved their position in distrowatch. :)

hey Budy, learn english, getting others to me said that *lol* an translater.. oohh common *g*
okey, for help it's okey, but for all.. an typ, translate.yandex.com ..
and do you know qtranslate , something like this should we have in kde or as qt-programm.. :
https://quest-app.appspot.com/screenshots

selecting, become on mouse an litle menu and an possible for klickering on it for getting an translate from google, yandex and other onlinetranlater .. :)

2. and this is maybe the problem, he chases to the money afterwards .. :\
he should would have Mandrake as hobby and not try it as an Money mashin ..
this has made all ruined ... at end .. :\

but the Linux way was really well.. imho .., so in software .. you know ..

AleQ, our Linuxdeveloper ? eyebrows hoisting .. oh *s* Rosalab ?

best regards
Blacky

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 19 Feb 2015, 23:06

AleQ wrote:@viking: I am very grateful for his proposal, but I'm in charge of a forum, it would be irresponsible of me to accept and not able to devote enough time.

Sure I understand; this is all Linux so there is no contradiction between posting in different Linux forums but the time argument is valid.

I used to moderate the Norwegian Mandriva site back in the good old days.

Seems to be the melody these days; Mandriva guys talking about good old days and Mandrake :-D

I remember that I had only heard of two distros Redhat and Mandrake so I downloaded Mandriva (I had heard about the dispute with the Mandrake cartoon guys) and was surprised at the user friendliness.

These days there are lots of user friendly Linux variants so OpenMandriva is in a tough market.

I think there are many who can thank Mandriva for their entry into Linux - me being one of them +1

Return to “The Mandriva family”