Mageia 4 Openbox vs OpenMandriva Openbox

Well it is a family: Mandriva Mageia ROSA Unity PCLOS. Brothers and sisters living together in perfect harmony - so it deserved som space of its own.

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

User avatar
viking60
Über-Berserk
Posts: 9285
Joined: 14 Mar 2010, 16:34

Mageia 4 Openbox vs OpenMandriva Openbox

Postby viking60 » 23 Feb 2014, 14:46

Here is the Mageia Wiki
And here is proof that it works - in Mageia 4.
:A
Here is the OpenMandriva Wiki
And here is the proof that it works.
:A


Nothing like a bit of competition to stay on the toes. So which is best?

Or maybe more to the point: Which wiki is the easiest to follow?
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Blackcrack
Posts: 218
Joined: 02 Apr 2013, 08:31

Re: Mageia 4 Openbox vs OpenMandriva Openbox

Postby Blackcrack » 24 Feb 2014, 07:58

Hi,

Your movie makes Openbox really interesting and attractive for using .. !
but, what you have maybe forgotten how many developers be in Mageia how many in OM Lx ?

it's an miracle to be so fast developing in OM Lx with so less developers,
the half of the group, helps out only because they are normally in Rosa and one in Unity ..

This, we would love to forget..

you see..

and mageia.. should i say anything about mageia ? they one who normally be MDK-offshoot it is,
but not help in OM Lx, because,then they would has to admit that a wrong game they played...
but they are want keep his white west .. and want not lost the whole community, you see..

best regards
Blacky

User avatar
viking60
Über-Berserk
Posts: 9285
Joined: 14 Mar 2010, 16:34

Re: Mageia 4 Openbox vs OpenMandriva Openbox

Postby viking60 » 24 Feb 2014, 12:07

Thank you. Openbox is my choice even on powerfull HW because it never fails and is highly customizable.

It is my impression that Mageia is using all the power on presenting a a good quality distro (which admitably is the main thing for a distro). They have no capacity for the rest - and even if they had they would not be very capable of community building and maintenance.
They suck at it - and have elevated the world famous french arrogance (French word :-D ) to new heights. I do not think that they have bad intentions - they are just not very able in that department.

Example; I have requested some software to make Openbox work better in Mageia - and they told me they had a better solution for Mageia 4 so they closed the bug report as Wontfix.
So I was eager to check out the solution and it was not better in any way form or shape - by any standards.

I had to totally rewrite the Wiki and drive a few people mad to get the required info.

They claim to be all about community - and they are not. They are all about the few chosen ones in the inner circles.
Again; they are able to produce a good distro so they've got their first priority straight

Openmandriva is a different animal.
To my surprise they were very aware of input from willing testers of their long overdue release - and fixed bugs at the speed of lightening. Obvious bugs did not get to live long lives in the bugzilla - they were taken care of.
I discovered that drakconf did not produce a working Apache server because it used the old Apache syntax - crisb fixed it right away. As he did with the inxi version ++

Since they actually showed an interest - and did something about it I tested a lot more than planed and found and reported a few more bugs - all of them fixed within 24h.

Since I often use Openbox as my reference I shamelessly required all I wanted there - and pretty much got it. As a result Openmandriva has a better Openbox (and a better Wiki).

I might have been lucky with my timing - and clearly OM was in desperate need of bringing something out there (with me as one of the hardest critiques for their constant inability to present a distro).

But they made the effort and that goes a long way.

In general I have the impression that OM has more capacity to work with the distro than Mageia has. It might be that Mageia is only whining more though. Every request is answered with a "join this and that group" speech.
Another favorite is the "we have more pressing and important issues" speech ( I always fail to see why that should be an argument against modest attempts to contribute :confused) .

I would not mind to much if it was at all possible to see what all those groups are actually doing - so far I can only read all about their existence - and nothing about their achievements. :berserk2
The very fact that I wrote a Wiki without being a member of the "Wiki group" is almost incomprehensible to the Mageia guys - not so with OMA.
I think it is best if they stay competitors.

There is nothing more motivating than a bit of jealousy (French word :-D ) over a rivals achievements :mrgreen: (It is called competition).

But like the waiters in Paris who give Japanese tourists mental problems (The Japanese are always polite and humble - french waiters are not :snooty: ); these guys might have their own ideas about competition too :confused

I simply don't get what Mageia - the community distro - is doing community wise - (it might be me).
I get that OMA is trying (with a rather poor result when it comes to forums).

Again the difference is the actual will. OMA wants to; Mageia does not seem to even try.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Blackcrack
Posts: 218
Joined: 02 Apr 2013, 08:31

Re: Mageia 4 Openbox vs OpenMandriva Openbox

Postby Blackcrack » 24 Feb 2014, 13:49

viking60 wrote:Thank you. Openbox is my choice even on powerfull HW because it never fails and is highly customizable.

It is my impression that Mageia is using all the power on presenting a a good quality distro (which admitably is the main thing for a distro). They have no capacity for the rest - and even if they had they would not be very capable of community building and maintenance.
They suck at it - and have elevated the world famous french arrogance (French word :-D ) to new heights. I do not think that they have bad intentions - they are just not very able in that department.

Example; I have requested some software to make Openbox work better in Mageia - and they told me they had a better solution for Mageia 4 so they closed the bug report as Wontfix.
So I was eager to check out the solution and it was not better in any way form or shape - by any standards.

I had to totally rewrite the Wiki and drive a few people mad to get the required info.


which Wiki, mageia ?

viking60 wrote:
They claim to be all about community - and they are not. They are all about the few chosen ones in the inner circles.
Again; they are able to produce a good distro so they've got their first priority straight

Openmandriva is a different animal.
To my surprise they were very aware of input from willing testers of their long overdue release - and fixed bugs at the speed of lightening. Obvious bugs did not get to live long lives in the bugzilla - they were taken care of.
I discovered that drakconf did not produce a working Apache server because it used the old Apache syntax - crisb fixed it right away. As he did with the inxi version ++

Since they actually showed an interest - and did something about it I tested a lot more than planed and found and reported a few more bugs - all of them fixed within 24h.


humm.. this let show us, the OM Lx TC Dudes , be more friendly as .. *g* and be more interested to work in community and together
as in ... an "other" Distro ..(neutral hold*g*) .. on OM Lx it's more an work together as work in layers and in single groups ..
like in an commerce thing.. we have our task area and we speak not with an anyone.. write it on the list and we whant do it..
so it is OpenMandriva Linux more open and unconventionally and therewith faster, because, what's done it's done ..
and be no more an problem and get no trouble again .. fixed mus it in anyway, so why not direcktly.. because it's more an hobby and make fun and not:
"We are an Distriebution.. beeb..beebb.. am make it like an mashing..beeb beeb .."
hey, were it is there the fun.. and this mus it makes !

viking60 wrote:

Since I often use Openbox as my reference I shamelessly required all I wanted there - and pretty much got it. As a result Openmandriva has a better Openbox (and a better Wiki).


humm... you should be a member if you make anything by Openmandriva, because, if you not an Member they determine easy over you head away..
if you filling the wiki from OpenMandriva have you not the rights to determine about you work ! and this is an fuXX bad thing .. I had fill the wiki
from OpenMandriva, later came RobertXu on it and plucked like a chicken what I have given into like a chicken apart and it looked later like an plucked chicken..
because i was not an member from the association.. you know the adventure ..*grr* and further..make Xu an face like an American..
only over surface (an smiling surface) but nothing behind.. superficial and no content .. *I could still burst before trouble !* :berserk2

so be warned, if you make an Wikientry in Open Mandriva Wiki, you have no change for make an determine about
you entrys.. can be deletet also !! *pukes out about* :berserkf It is about your head decided and not with you !

viking60 wrote:
I might have been lucky with my timing - and clearly OM was in desperate need of bringing something out there (with me as one of the hardest critiques for their constant inability to present a distro).

But they made the effort and that goes a long way.



+1

viking60 wrote:

In general I have the impression that OM has more capacity to work with the distro than Mageia has. It might be that Mageia is only whining more though. Every request is answered with a "join this and that group" speech.
Another favorite is the "we have more pressing and important issues" speech ( I always fail to see why that should be an argument against modest attempts to contribute :confused) .

I would not mind to much if it was at all possible to see what all those groups are actually doing - so far I can only read all about their existence - and nothing about their achievements. :berserk2
The very fact that I wrote a Wiki without being a member of the "Wiki group" is almost incomprehensible to the Mageia guys - not so with OMA.
I think it is best if they stay competitors.
There is nothing more motivating than a bit of jealousy (French word :-D ) over a rivals achievements :mrgreen: (It is called competition).


btw yes, you right ..

viking60 wrote:
But like the waiters in Paris who give Japanese tourists mental problems (The Japanese are always polite and humble - french waiters are not :snooty: ); these guys might have their own ideas about competition too :confused

I simply don't get what Mageia - the community distro - is doing community wise - (it might be me).
I get that OMA is trying (with a rather poor result when it comes to forums).

Again the difference is the actual will. OMA wants to; Mageia does not seem to even try.


This is understandable... should I repeat myself ?
i think not .. why, OpenMandriva has get the Mandriva back to the Community and has become the change to create around an Community,
Mageia haste take over (hostile in my opinion) the Community from Mandriva SA ..
also if this look like correct.. it was in my opinion not correct ! ..
also if they are say they has important things because..blablabla..
an hostile acquisition remains an hostile acquisition .. and it is not in Frendship !

At last have the community Mandriva Linux back and now it is possible to rebuild up OpenMandriva Linux now !
Mageia want not.. okey, they can leave where the pepper grows up !
Or they should shut up and comes into OM Linux under Bero Arisel and TPG and helps with to make Mandriva,
now OpenMandriva Linux to this was it was ! Just in direction like Mandrake ! (imo)

Or.. if works .. and OM Lx (Arisel, Bero and the other dudes) go along with me want OM Lx roll over Mageia..
and this i swear it ! because in an half Year is my time/work of probe (testing time) ago .. and then, if my Chef (and Frend/Dude)
work with me together .. no, maybe too early .. let them see us, what brings the time and how big the Asskicks can be ..
*giggle*
:cheers

best regards
Blacky


Return to “The Mandriva family”