Openmandriva and the "zillion" language files

Well it is a family: Mandriva Mageia ROSA Unity PCLOS. Brothers and sisters living together in perfect harmony - so it deserved som space of its own.

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Openmandriva and the "zillion" language files

Postby viking60 » 22 Feb 2014, 15:00

Every time I update my Openmandriva there are a zillion downloads of Russian and Turkish and Hindu firefox versions etc So I decided to do something about it.

I broke of the update and searched in drakconf after all installed locales.
And true enough every language on the planet seemed installed so I simply removed anything that was not "base" or "no" or "nb".

I removed en and de etc.. and got a load of dependencies that had to be removed including cups (for some reason :confused ) - but being a good berserk I accepted everything - just delete it - I want a slim and sexy distro +1

After that I did the update; and that apparently included grub2. Feeling brave I decided to keep the rpm.new version and hit enter. :berserkf

Time to reboot then...
And all GUI was gone; I could log in via the CLI and did a

Code: Select all

startx
which started a minimal X environment and from the x-terminal I could start openbox and start the menu with the traditional right-click.

From there I could fire browsers etc but cairo-dock and the xcompmgr did not stick.

Then I wondered why kdm was not fired at boot and found out that it was completely gone. :berserk2

Some dependencies are not completely clean there...

I reinstalled kdm and there cups turned up as a dependency again and got re-installed.
I re-booted and was back to my sexy openbox again
This time without the russian and hindu files. :tux5:
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Blackcrack

Re: Openmandriva and the "zillion" language files

Postby Blackcrack » 22 Feb 2014, 16:42

it's easy to say, need as fast as possible the "Original" installer,
the Drakinstaller who has used in Mandrake and Mandriva times !
and the Netinstaller who use as an normal installer also.. so, this is
the once problem who i see it is , lack of the possibility of an
customizing installation who the Admin/User of the Distribution want..
and what do you think what i pray every to the developers and in the last 3 day's again
wrote as my last mail before i go work now finally and have no time..
Viking, maybe can you speak with Bero or Arisel, for know how it is now the time for
rewriting and use the new installer finally .. how every..
Let's look what's goes in the next time .. and don't Forget, new kernel with an
New firewall it's now working.. systemd make fully fix
(and p.s. vers 2.09 it's now out and the network want handle now over systemd, like i had read),
the System have fully make to work and at all be in Alfa ..

but what i not really understand, why copy they are all in an extra folder and try to update
and fix it as new version, why make they are not all as rolling updates.. (cooker like)
and take an snapshoot if all running well..
hummm an mystery between the Developers.. lets look what's goes in the next time ..

i let me surprise :) but once i know,, Arisel, Bero, Pulver and all they are,
be really nice Dudes and know, what they does..
(i hope*gigle*)
and i press all my thumbs for all becomes good finally :)

best regards
Blacky

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 22 Feb 2014, 23:22

Yes those languages need a "cleanup script".
In any case I thought I should remove the "fat" kdm and replace it with lxdm. And that was.....interesting :shock:

Plymouth completely freezes during boot. :berserkf
Editing the splash to not being silent does actually allow the boot to go through. But in lxdm the system seems to have a default US keyboard.
This can be altered on the login screen - but still that is not good.
So the experiment was canceled - this thing needs kdm.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Blackcrack

Postby Blackcrack » 23 Feb 2014, 08:31

Hi :)

nope, it need an completely other installer, an installer who can work with task-XY and be original Mandrakelike installer !
and can configuring correctly via direct-install the rpm's the system and not this fXXX extraction and piss it on
the disk "Extractor"-Installer .. with the real drakinstaller can you selection what you want, lxdm,
and you loved Openbox and the ground-system what you want and more not..

Not the plymouth it is, the engine under it.. it is.. who be freezes,
if you press twice ESC goes the bootsc..playmouth away and you
see what's goes really on..

and i think, it's actually broken.. any what was wrong in the build mashin, or...
anyone had do something wrong.. how ever..
anything goes terribly in the clotes !

best regards
Blacky

Return to “The Mandriva family”